Saturday TEADAY 6/07/2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Jogrebe asks, "What would you do if money ever became so tight that you had to alter your current tea consumption?"

Drink less tea, less tea is better than cheaper tea.
44%
Drink cheaper tea, tea plays too important role in my life to cut down on the amount I drink.
24%
Give up food and clothing...that is what spent tea leaves are for ; )
10%
Other
22%

Total votes: 50

Jun 7th, '08, 17:44

by witches brew » Jun 7th, '08, 17:44

On my third steep of this morning's hashiri sencha. I refrigerated the leaves so that they wouldn't go off in the heat, and used slightly hotter water than usual. Not a great success. This tea doesn't produce a very flavorful third steep, and the chilled leaves held the flavor back all the more. It's sweet, but more of a sweet nothing.

I guess I don't want to be THAT frugal.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jun 7th, '08, 17:52

by TimeforTea » Jun 7th, '08, 17:52

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:
First real tea today so late in the day-peach oolong.
How is this? I've been hesitant to try the "flavored" oolongs.
I really like it! :)

Jun 7th, '08, 18:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 7th, '08, 18:01

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:
I don't usually care for flavored oolongs, but I have to say, this was the best of the flavored line. Peach being closet and harmonizing with the naturally occurring peach flavor of some oolongs. Not the higest quality tea as you can see by the leaves, but still decent and it comes from Taiwan not China.

Jun 7th, '08, 18:07

by henley » Jun 7th, '08, 18:07

Victoria wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:
I don't usually care for flavored oolongs, but I have to say, this was the best of the flavored line. Peach being closet and harmonizing with the naturally occurring peach flavor of some oolongs. Not the higest quality tea as you can see by the leaves, but still decent and it comes from Taiwan not China.
I didn't care for the vanilla or almond oolong. Based on that experience & typically not being a peach fan, was very hesitant to try it. Thanx for the info, V!

Jun 7th, '08, 18:58

by Chip » Jun 7th, '08, 18:58

henley wrote:
Victoria wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:
I didn't care for the vanilla or almond oolong. Based on that experience & typically not being a peach fan, was very hesitant to try it. Thanx for the info, V!
:shock: What...you could get thrown out of Georgia for a comment like that. You might as well move north now. :wink:

Jun 7th, '08, 21:00

by bambooforest » Jun 7th, '08, 21:00

I want to give Jogrebe credit where credit is due. This is a great poll question!

I went with less tea -- but I'm not exactly sure how I'd approach this situation. As it is, I generally only have tea twice a day. Maybe I would scale back to once a day. The morning of course! That could possibly be the solution. And, another strategy I could use is to buy other teas that aren't as expensive, and put them in the rotation.

Of all the teas, I think one gets the most return on blacks. You can find really good and satisfying black teas at the most affordable prices. For sure, the most expensive teas out there in my opinion are oolongs. Good oolongs are just down right pricey.

Jun 7th, '08, 21:11

by Ron Gilmour » Jun 7th, '08, 21:11

I agree with Geekgirl that price and quality are not always proportional. I think I could significantly decrease the amount of money I spend on tea without necessarily decreasing the quality (although I would definitely have to decrease the variety). I also agree with Bamboo Forest that black teas tend to offer the best bargains. Omegapd has his Red Rose; I have my odd affection for Twining's Prince of Wales. In a pinch I'd just drink more of that, maybe more Ceylons, and sacrifice the senchas, oolongs, and pu-erh.

Jun 8th, '08, 00:07

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 00:07

I ended up only having one tea today Adagio Strawberry Black. Not bad.

The day just seemed to fly away.

Jun 8th, '08, 03:29

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 03:29

My last cup of the day - I can't believe I am even typing this - is Harney Rooibos Chai.

Jun 8th, '08, 03:46

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 03:46

I have a Harney story from Vegas...but that one has to stay in Vegas. :roll:

But, I finished a great TeaDay with a Li Shan oolong from an exhibitor in Vegas. Zi Zi located in Taiwan. I will share more on this most excellent tea experience a little later, but this oolong is really nice.

Jun 8th, '08, 11:15

by Ladytiger » Jun 8th, '08, 11:15

Chip wrote: When in Vegas, a small (around 8 ounces) bottle of evian was $5.50. I just wanted water...but was not buying that.
evian bottled water tastes pretty nasty and would rather drink city water. Thankfully here in the montianous part of go old Pennsylvania I have well water at home and THAT is what I prefer. A few bucks for a nice reusable water bottle and free refills I laugh at those who relay souly on bottled water.

Jun 8th, '08, 14:14

by Proinsias » Jun 8th, '08, 14:14

I think until I can wander to the teacave at the foot of my castle to see if I can fit any more 1950's red mark into it, I'll be flitting between options. I'm fairly sure my other half would be encouraging me to appreciate cheaper tea.

Jun 8th, '08, 15:17

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 15:17

Proinsias wrote:I think until I can wander to the teacave at the foot of my castle to see if I can fit any more 1950's red mark into it, I'll be flitting between options. I'm fairly sure my other half would be encouraging me to appreciate cheaper tea.
Invading this Scot's TeaCave would save TeaBucks (TeaEuros?) too!!!! :idea: But he needs to procure more sencha first!!!