Sunday 6/08/08, oh yeah, TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Inspired by yesterday's topic, suddenly, you have more money...where does it go?

More tea
11%
Better tea
15%
Best tea, period
11%
Nothing changes tea wise
36%
Other
26%

Total votes: 53

Jun 8th, '08, 11:04

by joelbct » Jun 8th, '08, 11:04

Other:

I wouldn't buy more or different tea if I were suddenly wealthy. I might embark upon a more sophisticated Japanese Teaware collection, but I am already fortunate enough to be able to drink the tea I want, so that would not change much.

Jun 8th, '08, 11:26

by Mary R » Jun 8th, '08, 11:26

Yeah, if I suddenly came into cash I might splurge on some competition winners, but I'm far more likely to flush out my financial portfolio than I am my tea cabinet.

Jun 8th, '08, 11:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 11:41

GalileosDaughter wrote:Tea vacations!

More tea, better tea, fancy teapots, all sound good to me too. Fancy tea-scented candles too, what the heck.
Yeah, I know exactly the ones you mean GD.
:)

Finishing up my Adagio Strawberry Black.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Jun 8th, '08, 11:57

by kymidwife » Jun 8th, '08, 11:57

I doubt much would change on my tea purchases. Being single with no children leaves me the opportunity to indulge myself within reason, so if I want a tea, I buy it. Of course, my tastes are currently not expensive ones, and so I hope you people don't corrupt me into pricey tea-tasting obscurity!

This morning I've only had morrocan mint, iced... one of my current top favorites... am already on my 3rd large glass.

I've been working on acquiring a taste for unflavored greens... its not that I don't like them, I just don't love them... they don't leave me wanting more. Last night I tried some of adagio's white monkey... first infusion was so mild, I wasn't sure I was drinking anything more than hot water. The second had a bit more flavor than the first, but still just too delicate for me. So, I made some gunpowder, and I enjoyed it a bit more with the stronger flavor and the smoky undertones... but still, I ended up just adding some morrocan mint to it.

Maybe straight-up green is just not my thing.

Sarah

Jun 8th, '08, 12:27

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 8th, '08, 12:27

If I had more money, I would probably buy a similar amount of tea to what I already drink, but be slightly less frugal in what I want to try. I have an ongoing list of vendors that I want to order from so I would probably place more of the orders instead of waiting. I would definitely go after some nicer tea ware though, maybe a few kyusus of different sizes and some tea cups. I'd probably also be more motivated to try matcha since I would be able to better afford a pretty bowl and all the other stuff that goes with it. A tea-related vacation sounds nice too.

Not too much tea today so far. I made a large pitcher of half Mango Black tea and half Organic Monk's Blend (an unflavored black tea blend) for iced tea and it came out great. Diluting the mango flavor with plain black tea gives it just a touch of sweetness without any sugar.

Jun 8th, '08, 12:45

by Trey Winston » Jun 8th, '08, 12:45

I don't think much would change. I suppose there are more expensive white teas than the SNs that are available from online vendors, but I'm too lazy to find out. So my laziness would be a limiting factor.
Trey

Jun 8th, '08, 13:19

by olivierco » Jun 8th, '08, 13:19

Kaburagien Matcha (koicha) this afternoon. Good but not as good as wakamatsu no mukashi (Unmon no mukashi next time)

Jun 8th, '08, 15:11

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 15:11

granniero wrote:I would buy more tea, lots of it, new flavors, since I am fairly new and still learning what I like and don't. Yesterday I had a pot of PG Tips and used more infusions of same leaves to make iced tea that I am ejoying today.
Welcome to TeaChat and the world of tea, granniero!

Shincha Fukamushi which is awesome as usual. I am thinking Kirameki next. A lot of my open shincha are getting depleted...trying to hold out a day or two before raiding the TeaFridge for more shincha.

Hmmm...today's question. Maybe try more expensive stuff more readily. I can always share extra with my tea friends. I think I would still balance it with a level of sensibility as I do now though (am I kidding myself for pete's sake...I have a TeaFridge :roll: ).

Teaware and tea vacations...you guys won't listen :wink: You are stealing my next poll question. Although, my TeaCave could use carpetting.
Last edited by Chip on Jul 4th, '09, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 8th, '08, 15:22

by bambooforest » Jun 8th, '08, 15:22

I went with nothing changes. Why? Because, I can honestly tell you that I'm truly blessed, and I absolutely love the tea that I have in my hut. Beyond that, I will always continue buying teas that are considered to be of varying grades. I will never buy just the top grade. I got news for you, sometimes I enjoy the "lower" grades even more.

And then there is the question of variety. Higher grades often have a certain flavor profile, and the medium grades will have their own unique signature. Variety isn't just about different tea -- it's also about different grades of teas!

In my cup, Farmer's Shincha from Hibiki-An. This is my first session, so my immediate impression may not be wholly accurate. But, from my first 4 steeps -- I love this stuff!!!! It has such wonderful qualities to it, so natural tasting, sweet, and relaxing. Re-steeps very well. And it's reasonably priced, by no means considered a top grade. This tea is testimony that top grades are not always the ones that elicit the widest of smiles.

Jun 8th, '08, 15:34

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 15:34

bambooforest wrote:I went with nothing changes. Why? Because, I can honestly tell you that I'm truly blessed, and I absolutely love the tea that I have in my hut. Beyond that, I will always continue buying teas that are considered to be of varying grades. I will never buy just the top grade. I got news for you, sometimes I enjoy the "lower" grades even more.

And then there is the question of variety. Higher grades often have a certain flavor profile, and the medium grades will have their own unique signature. Variety isn't just about different tea -- it's also about different grades of teas!

In my cup, Farmer's Shincha from Hibiki-An. This is my first session, so my immediate impression may not be wholly accurate. But, from my first 4 steeps -- I love this stuff!!!! It has such wonderful qualities to it, so natural tasting, sweet, and relaxing. Re-steeps very well. And it's reasonably priced, by no means considered a top grade. This tea is testimony that top grades are not always the ones that elicit the widest of smiles.
I could not agree more...and finding a jewel in the rough of lower grades is so much more rewarding at times. Anyone can simply go out and buy the highest grades...it takes work to find the cheaper jewels. But the reward is great.

Jun 8th, '08, 15:57

by omegapd » Jun 8th, '08, 15:57

Broke out the Adagio Pu Erh Dante for our traditional Sunday lunch with the family to see how it would go over. It didn't at all with the wife or kiddo. Wife tried two sips and that was enough. Kiddo didn't even try it after smelling it. :lol:

So, I had a large 2 cup teapot to finish off myself and just re-steeped the same leaves for another one. Gonna be a heavy tea day for me today...

EW

Jun 8th, '08, 16:01

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 16:01

Breaking some new ground here with -

Muzi granite ground white tea. White tea "matcha" if you will.

It is interesting.

Jun 8th, '08, 16:11

by CynTEAa » Jun 8th, '08, 16:11

There are some competition grade things I would go for if the opportunity arose, but tea-wise I really cannot complain. :wink:

Victoria - that sounds interesting! Details please!

Jun 8th, '08, 16:18

by Geekgirl » Jun 8th, '08, 16:18

Torrefazione!!! oh, er... :lol:

We went out to breakfast this morning, left before I even had a chance to brew a cuppa. I love (love! love!) good coffee, was quite the coffee fiend before tea-love seduced me.

Since we were already 1/2 way there, I had hubby take me by Serenity Art at Fubon and picked up some Da Hong Pao and some of the 1998 Menghai Puer.

In my cup, the Da Hong Pao. mmmm!!!

For me... more $ = more samples, and less regard for shipping costs/combining orders. More teaware, definitely. I suffer from gear acquisition syndrome.