Tuesday's teaDay 6/10/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The one tea that if it was the last one on the planet, you would NOT brew, let alone drink?

A black
9%
An oolong
2%
A green
2%
A white or yellow
No votes
A pu-erh
9%
A lapsang
13%
A Rooibos
15%
A particular herbal
24%
Yerbe mate
7%
Other
20%

Total votes: 46

Jun 10th, '08, 13:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 10th, '08, 13:52

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Figured I'd torment the purists a bit with my too-dark-to-see cup interior. teehee:

Cup is handmade by a local artist.
If you look at this picture just right, it looks like the hot tea has melted the outside paint and it is running down and collecting into a little pool at the bottom in a small saucer already filled with overflowed tea.

Jun 10th, '08, 14:07

by scotty X » Jun 10th, '08, 14:07

since this is an apocalyptic scenario (last tea on earth?!?!), i'd burn lychee tea before i steeped it, since i'm sure i could use the kindling, but i'd never get that horrid taste out of my mouth.

Jun 10th, '08, 14:22

by auggy » Jun 10th, '08, 14:22

I haven't ever had lapsang and seemed to have missed most TeaChat references to it before today. Why is it so awful?

Jun 10th, '08, 14:36

by Pentox » Jun 10th, '08, 14:36

auggy wrote:I haven't ever had lapsang and seemed to have missed most TeaChat references to it before today. Why is it so awful?
Hm, lapsang souchong. The imfamous tea. Here are a few of the ways I have heard lapsang souchong described:
Sucking on a campfire
Wet dog
Liquid smoke
Sucking on a wet dog being held over a smoky campfire

Lapsang Souchong is a smoked black tea. The supposed reasoning for it was in order to speed up the drying process originally. Now it is a very very smoky tea that some people apparently like. I find that when I brew a cup of tea it makes my kitchen smell like I'm smoking a salmon or something in the middle of the kitchen.

The general verdict is that you love it or you hate it. There is not much middle ground to be found.

The more I think about it, Lapsang is like the Poi of the tea party. You only need a little bit to serve everyone. There will be only one person in the whole party who might like it, everyone else will just have a tiny sip.

Jun 10th, '08, 14:42

by tenuki » Jun 10th, '08, 14:42

I would encourage the tea to reproduce so it wasn't the last tea on the planet. I can't believe everyone would just drink it, how short sighted.

:roll:
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 10th, '08, 14:46

by tenuki » Jun 10th, '08, 14:46

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Figured I'd torment the purists a bit with my too-dark-to-see cup interior. teehee:

Cup is handmade by a local artist.
This purist loves a little mysTery, thanks!

OOAK FTW.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 10th, '08, 14:57

by Victoria » Jun 10th, '08, 14:57

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:I haven't ever had lapsang and seemed to have missed most TeaChat references to it before today. Why is it so awful?
Hm, lapsang souchong. The imfamous tea. Here are a few of the ways I have heard lapsang souchong described:
Sucking on a campfire
Wet dog
Liquid smoke

Lapsang Souchong is a smoked black tea. The supposed reasoning for it was in order to speed up the drying process originally. Now it is a very very smoky tea that some people apparently like. I find that when I brew a cup of tea it makes my kitchen smell like I'm smoking a salmon or something in the middle of the kitchen.

The general verdict is that you love it or you hate it. There is not much middle ground to be found.

The more I think about it, Lapsang is like the Poi of the tea party. You only need a little bit to serve everyone. There will be only one person in the whole party who might like it, everyone else will just have a tiny sip.
You forgot: Beef Jerkey

Actually I stand firmly planted on MIDDLE ground. The stuff I have tastes good and very unique, I like it for variety now and then. But the aroma is hard to get past. I could see myself converting if I could find one ummm less fragrant.

Jun 10th, '08, 15:05

by Scarlet Glow » Jun 10th, '08, 15:05

I would definitely be among those who demand to know why there is only a certain type of tea left, haha... but, concerning the poll...

... my vote was oolong.

I just don't like the stuff... nuff said. :roll:

Jun 10th, '08, 15:05

by auggy » Jun 10th, '08, 15:05

Pentox wrote:
Sucking on a campfire
Wet dog
Liquid smoke
Sounds lovely. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I'd be on the "hate" side of things so I won't be searching this one out.

Yuck!

Jun 10th, '08, 15:09

by omegapd » Jun 10th, '08, 15:09

I've never had one that smelled like wet dog. That's more along the lines of Pu for me, and wasn't that objectionable either. :lol:

Personally, I love Lapsang. It's not an everyday tea for me, but I drink it quite a bit. But, I also love the smell of campfires and pipe tobacco and things like that...

EW
Last edited by omegapd on Jun 10th, '08, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 10th, '08, 15:09

by Victoria » Jun 10th, '08, 15:09

Jeremy wrote: This morning, water sprite, oolong.
Tell me more .... deep roasted, right?
Taste?

Jun 10th, '08, 15:11

by Katrina » Jun 10th, '08, 15:11

Scarlet Glow wrote: ... my vote was oolong.

I just don't like the stuff... nuff said. :roll:
This was a joke. Right? Right? Gasp. Right? :shock:
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jun 10th, '08, 15:13

by Salsero » Jun 10th, '08, 15:13

Jeremy wrote:This morning, water sprite, oolong.
Shui xian? aka Shui Hsien, aka Water Fairy?

Jun 10th, '08, 15:16

by olivierco » Jun 10th, '08, 15:16

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 to end the day.