Tuesday's teaDay 6/10/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The one tea that if it was the last one on the planet, you would NOT brew, let alone drink?

A black
9%
An oolong
2%
A green
2%
A white or yellow
No votes
A pu-erh
9%
A lapsang
13%
A Rooibos
15%
A particular herbal
24%
Yerbe mate
7%
Other
20%

Total votes: 46

Jun 11th, '08, 02:48

by Space Samurai » Jun 11th, '08, 02:48

only a little tea today, some new vithanakande that was sent to me.

tonight I had the pleasure to take a cooking class on curries tought by Raghavan Iyer. I bought his new cook book, 660 Curries a few days ago only to find out he was coming to my store. My God. I had the best basmati rice ever. EVER. In the world. It litteraly melted in my mouth. I didn't know rice could be so good.

And for desert, some sort of pepper, pineapple, and golden raisin sauce over ice cream. I'm sold on Indian food.

Jun 11th, '08, 02:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 02:57

Indian is the best. Which vendor is the Vithanakande from?

Jun 11th, '08, 03:03

by Space Samurai » Jun 11th, '08, 03:03

Jun 11th, '08, 03:06

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 03:06

Mmm, that store front looks a little iffy.

I really enjoyed a sample I got from SpecialTeas and have even been thinking about ordering some more. They billed it as Vithanakande FBOPF (EX).

The tea looks nice. How is it?

Jun 11th, '08, 03:12

by Space Samurai » Jun 11th, '08, 03:12

Its good for a ceylon.

Their teas that I've tried are kind of average, but they sent generous samples, disposable tea bags, and a nice press package. I apprecaite their professionalism.

Jun 11th, '08, 04:36

by Beidao » Jun 11th, '08, 04:36

Regarding Lapsang, I used to really like it. Then I got sold on Yunnan with its natural, non smoked smokeiness and now I just can't drink Lapsang. What one should keep in mind, though, is that most Lapsangs are scented, not really smoked. Genuine Lapsang is said to have a much milder taste.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 11th, '08, 12:23

by Pentox » Jun 11th, '08, 12:23

auggy wrote:
Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:Might have to get into the shincha craze next year.

So yeah, my computer is still a brick with a pretty colored screen, I'm borrowing a gianormous laptop from hubby that he's repairing for my dad, the copier at my workplace still has a mind of its own, but hey, I've got TEA!
Psh, next year? You can still ride the shincha train TONIGHT!

Ojno what happened to your computer?
Yeah, I've already eyed some of the shinchas at o-cha. :lol: But I'm safe from a shincha run because all of my bookmarks are on my laptop. The one good thing about that?

As for what exactly happened w/ the computer, the video card went out. And the video card is attached to the motherboard so Dell is supposed to replace both of them hopefully tomorrow. Of course, earlier it was "hopefully today" but that didn't happen. *pout* Previously, I had been able to turn my laptop on and, even though nothing other than pretty stripes would show up on the screen, I could remotely access it and everything would be fine. But now it's not letting me connect remotely or even access my shared drives. But when the motherboard is replaced, hopefully that will make it happy.

Of course, I realize with all this that I am WAY too addicted to my computer. WAAAAAAAAY too addicted.
Psh we can fix that need of bookmarks for shincha for ya.

Hibiki-an
Zencha
Den's
O-cha

EEk yeah that sounds like some pretty gnarly computer death there. And there's no such thing as being way too addicted >.> REally there isn't.

Jun 11th, '08, 13:01

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 13:01

Pentox wrote:EEk yeah that sounds like some pretty gnarly computer death there. And there's no such thing as being way too addicted >.> REally there isn't.
You know, the laptop screen is actually quite pretty. If you ignore the whole "supposed to show you what is going on on the computer" thing.

It's amazing how bored I was last night with access to a computer that only had a web browser on it. I had to go and read a paper book. :shock:

Jun 11th, '08, 13:31

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 13:31

Pentox wrote: Psh we can fix that need of bookmarks for shincha for ya.

Hibiki-an
Zencha
Den's
O-cha

EEk yeah that sounds like some pretty gnarly computer death there. And there's no such thing as being way too addicted >.> REally there isn't.
WHAT???? No Lupicia???? :lol:

BTW, this is post #83, a TeaDay record...wooohooo...

Jun 11th, '08, 13:34

by Pentox » Jun 11th, '08, 13:34

Chip wrote:

Hibiki-an
Zencha
Den's
O-cha

Lupicia doesn't have their Shincha over here yet. It's avail in Japan, but I found out a wile ago they ship stuff kinda slowly over here. *tear*

Jun 11th, '08, 13:37

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 13:37

Space Samurai wrote:www.Portsmouthtea.com

Even Ceylon can look sweet in the hands of an artist. Ceylon is a B&B tea in my book. The world is definitely better with it, but rarely is it ever a star player.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 11th, '08, 13:40

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 13:40

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:

Hibiki-an
Zencha
Den's
O-cha

Lupicia doesn't have their Shincha over here yet. It's avail in Japan, but I found out a wile ago they ship stuff kinda slowly over here. *tear*
Ahhhh, slow boat!!! Hmmm, not a good thing where shincha is concerned. It is almost time to move on to Ichibancha, still first flush, but handled and processed differently than Shincha.

This is a shortcoming that they will need to overcome. I wonder why a Japanese vendor as big as they are are losing the competitive edge in this regard?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 11th, '08, 13:46

by Pentox » Jun 11th, '08, 13:46

Chip wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:

Hibiki-an
Zencha
Den's
O-cha

Ahhhh, slow boat!!! Hmmm, not a good thing where shincha is concerned. It is almost time to move on to Ichibancha, still first flush, but handled and processed differently than Shincha.

This is a shortcoming that they will need to overcome. I wonder why a Japanese vendor as big as they are are losing the competitive edge in this regard?
I think that's actually one of the reasons why they aren't marketing much shincha over here. If you take a look at the Japanese page they have quite a few shinchas over there, yet their sku list over here only has 2. My guess is that they don't think that over here there's enough recognition of the time dependency on shincha to warrant treating it differently. They probably figure Americans don't know any different so they'll just ship it with the rest of the tea.

Jun 11th, '08, 14:34

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 14:34

Pentox wrote: I think that's actually one of the reasons why they aren't marketing much shincha over here. If you take a look at the Japanese page they have quite a few shinchas over there, yet their sku list over here only has 2. My guess is that they don't think that over here there's enough recognition of the time dependency on shincha to warrant treating it differently. They probably figure Americans don't know any different so they'll just ship it with the rest of the tea.
Very good points...and they obviously have not been reading TeaChat! :idea:

I am sure that TeaChat is responsible for a substantial increase in the demand for Shincha stateside. Not just regular posters either. The readership of TC is pretty significant...a lot of lurkers reading what we write and never joining. But I know sales have to be way up for Shincha despite a weak dollar.

They missed the flight and are taking the slow boat instead.

Jun 11th, '08, 14:42

by Pentox » Jun 11th, '08, 14:42

Chip wrote: Very good points...and they obviously have not been reading TeaChat! :idea:

I am sure that TeaChat is responsible for a substantial increase in the demand for Shincha stateside. Not just regular posters either. The readership of TC is pretty significant...a lot of lurkers reading what we write and never joining. But I know sales have to be way up for Shincha despite a weak dollar.

They missed the flight and are taking the slow boat instead.
Yeah, if I wern't up to my ears in shincha that I've already gotten shipped over, I would probably talk to them about getting some shipped over. Maybe for next years I will. But slow boating will leave some shincha for a bit later in the year. I remember the Sayama Shincha 2007 being amazing still in december.