Tuesday's teaDay 6/10/08


BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The one tea that if it was the last one on the planet, you would NOT brew, let alone drink?

A black
4
9%
An oolong
1
2%
A green
1
2%
A white or yellow
0
No votes
A pu-erh
4
9%
A lapsang
6
13%
A Rooibos
7
15%
A particular herbal
11
24%
Yerbe mate
3
7%
Other
9
20%
 
Total votes : 46

Postby bambooforest » Jun 10th, '08, 15:18

I put other. Granted I have my favorites -- but I'm open minded enough to drink the last tea on the planet >_<

I'm drinking Li Shan high mountain oolong from Tea from Taiwan. Delicious!
User avatar
bambooforest
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Jul 22nd, '
Location: Uji Japan is in my heart

Postby tenuki » Jun 10th, '08, 15:20

bambooforest wrote:I'm drinking Li Shan high mountain oolong from Tea from Taiwan. Delicious!


This harvest?
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Scarlet Glow » Jun 10th, '08, 15:58

Katrina wrote:
Scarlet Glow wrote:... my vote was oolong.

I just don't like the stuff... nuff said. :roll:


This was a joke. Right? Right? Gasp. Right? :shock:


Nope, that was not a joke.

I have tried Adagio's Pouchong, Jasmine #5, Ti Kuan Yin, and Wuyi Ensemble and none have been a very pleasant experience. I don't know why, but I just do not like the taste... I couldn't even finish a whole cup of any of those.

I am glad you like them, though, because it leaves more for you. :wink:
Scarlet Glow
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Aug 18th, '

Postby LavenderPekoe » Jun 10th, '08, 16:09

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Maybe Victoria is getting her tea from the same place I am. In my cup this morning: "Fragrant Yellow." Not bad. I think I brewed it too hot though because I get just a touch of collard greens. bleh. It was better last time I had it, when I paid attention to time/temp. :lol:

Figured I'd torment the purists a bit with my too-dark-to-see cup interior. teehee:

Image

Cup is handmade by a local artist.


This cup just fascinates me.

Today - Oolong #40 and Harney's Apple cin.
User avatar
LavenderPekoe
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Aug 17th, '

Postby tenuki » Jun 10th, '08, 16:19

Forgot to mention, I have three wonderful teas going right now:

1) Yesterdays 22 yr old menghai special grade puerh that won't die
2) Westlake Dragon Well from NCTG
3) A charcoal roasted Dong Ding from RBT

ADD Tea drinking ftw.

I've switched now to using my Joyce Chen ceramic stovetop kettle for water and can definitely taste a difference. It's hard to wait the extra time though. I've weaned myself off Fiji now and the Seattle tap -> britta -> ceramic kettle + bamboo charcoal is actually a reasonable substitute. I'm planning on getting some gypsum from a brewery supply store and experimenting with that, although I think the major component of Fiji I'm missing is silica, wonder if there is source for that?

Interesting note on the bamboo charcoal: I had been noticing a lot of my teas lately have had a nice sweet note in the aftertaste, which was missing after I stopped using Fiji. For the fun of it I drank some hot water with the charcoal and sure enough, it was there along with the touch of tongue tingle, both of which are missing without the charcoal. For me the bamboo charcoal in the kettle during boiling is a clear improvement on simple seattle tap water which is quite soft.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Mary R » Jun 10th, '08, 16:50

LavenderPekoe wrote:This cup just fascinates me.


The cup fascinates me, too. The minute I saw it, I had all these famous masterworks flash through my mind...Dalí's Persistence of Memory, Munch's The Scream, Klimt's The Kiss, Van Gough's Starry Night...

That's pretty awesome if a piece of teaware can make me pull up those associations. A keeper, for sure!
User avatar
Mary R
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Dec 20th, '

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 10th, '08, 17:12

Mary R wrote:
LavenderPekoe wrote:This cup just fascinates me.


The cup fascinates me, too. The minute I saw it, I had all these famous masterworks flash through my mind...Dalí's Persistence of Memory, Munch's The Scream, Klimt's The Kiss, Van Gough's Starry Night...

That's pretty awesome if a piece of teaware can make me pull up those associations. A keeper, for sure!


It fascinates me too, and is my #1 favorite cup. I found it in an airport, of all places, and bought it on the way OUT of town, carried it (and used it) for my entire trip.
User avatar
Geekgirl
 
Posts: 2700
Joined: May 31st, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby Pentox » Jun 10th, '08, 18:02

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Mary R wrote:
LavenderPekoe wrote:This cup just fascinates me.


The cup fascinates me, too. The minute I saw it, I had all these famous masterworks flash through my mind...Dalí's Persistence of Memory, Munch's The Scream, Klimt's The Kiss, Van Gough's Starry Night...

That's pretty awesome if a piece of teaware can make me pull up those associations. A keeper, for sure!


It fascinates me too, and is my #1 favorite cup. I found it in an airport, of all places, and bought it on the way OUT of town, carried it (and used it) for my entire trip.


It makes me think of melting ice cream.
User avatar
Pentox
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jan 14th, '
Location: CA

Postby Chip » Jun 10th, '08, 18:26

The illusion of the puddle at the bottom of the cup is captivating.

I am back to Hashiri after a break from it for a couple weeks. It is quite interesting in several regards. It is not my fave shincha though.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22285
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby RussianSoul » Jun 10th, '08, 18:37

Chip wrote:I am back to Hashiri ...


Me too.
User avatar
RussianSoul
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Feb 11th, '

Postby witches brew » Jun 10th, '08, 19:37

I'm drinking Adagio's Ti Kuan Yin, nicely iced. Quite delicious and just the right thing for this unseemly hot spring evening.
User avatar
witches brew
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Feb 14th, '
Location: New York

Postby auggy » Jun 10th, '08, 19:48

Yeah, so today has been a pretty crappy day. But things totally changed after I got home and remembered to check the front porch, because guess what I found? TEA PASS BOX! Oh, so much fun! My kitchen table is covered in teas right now. And so tonights tea is Ocha's shincha hatsumi from the box. Yum. The taste is very unique and I'm really liking it. Might have to get into the shincha craze next year.

So yeah, my computer is still a brick with a pretty colored screen, I'm borrowing a gianormous laptop from hubby that he's repairing for my dad, the copier at my workplace still has a mind of its own, but hey, I've got TEA!
User avatar
auggy
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Feb 8th, '0
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Postby Salsero » Jun 10th, '08, 19:50

Hibiki-an Sencha Premium Shincha here. Nice asamushi. Not much like their Farmer's Shincha or Den's Hashiri, both of which had a lovely sense of ***fresh*** and playful.

Next up (tomorrow, I suppose) the Super Premium and the Shincha Fukamushi.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Pentox » Jun 10th, '08, 20:12

auggy wrote:Might have to get into the shincha craze next year.

So yeah, my computer is still a brick with a pretty colored screen, I'm borrowing a gianormous laptop from hubby that he's repairing for my dad, the copier at my workplace still has a mind of its own, but hey, I've got TEA!


Psh, next year? You can still ride the shincha train TONIGHT!

Ojno what happened to your computer?
User avatar
Pentox
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jan 14th, '
Location: CA

Postby CynTEAa » Jun 10th, '08, 20:23

Pretty sure the last tea on earth would be a kombucha...I'd run from it...ick!
User avatar
CynTEAa
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Aug 21st, '
Location: Connecticut

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation