Friday finally...TeaDay, 6/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Organic or not organic...which side of the fence are you on?

Organic tea is for me
15%
Non organic is my choice
11%
No opinion
40%
Other
34%

Total votes: 53

Jun 13th, '08, 12:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 13th, '08, 12:37

jogrebe wrote:My teaday is centered around yixing teaware and a little bit of everything.
ROTFL! I have to admit, some mornings I choose my tea based upon which teaware I want to use... Looks like your method would work for those days that are riddled with indecision. :lol:

Jun 13th, '08, 13:13

Re: Dian Hong and Holly Fern

by Wesli » Jun 13th, '08, 13:13

sumchump wrote:Image
It's guerilla Dian Hong!

Jun 13th, '08, 13:14

by jogrebe » Jun 13th, '08, 13:14

Salsero wrote:
jogrebe wrote:My teaday is centered around yixing teaware and a little bit of everything.

Jogrebe, you've got a three ring circus going there with a tank for the high dive act! That is some serious tea action, man.
There are 4 different teas in the picture: silver needle white, yunwu green, lychee black and 2005 longhe tribute dragon heritage puerh. And actually the yunwu green and lychee black were ice teas that were posed in the tasting cups for the picture.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jun 13th, '08, 13:39

by Pentox » Jun 13th, '08, 13:39

I was at a symposium a while back and the owner of Teance (Winnie) was speaking and someone asked her about sourcing organic teas. I think that her response pretty much sums up the situation perfectly. In summary it was:

Organic teas are nice, but the quality of the tea is what matters. Just because something is certified organic does not mean it is going to be any better or worse than a non-organic tea. But for certain teas the notion of trying to get those certified organic just doesn't make sense. You can't expect someone to rip out a 600 year old tea bush and replant one just to get certified organic. There's no reason to, and no reason to try to sell only organic teas when it is the quality of the tea that matters.

Jun 13th, '08, 13:53

by Salsero » Jun 13th, '08, 13:53

jogrebe wrote:yunwu green and lychee black were ice teas that were posed in the tasting cups for the picture.
It's good to know that I am not the only one who indulges in posing teas.

Jun 13th, '08, 13:54

by Victoria » Jun 13th, '08, 13:54

Here at work, having the last of my Fu Shou oolong sample. I like it, but not enough to reorder. It misses the mark just slightly for a premium oolong.

So glad it's Friday!

Jun 13th, '08, 14:05

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '08, 14:05

Sam. wrote:
Space Samurai wrote:
Victoria wrote: Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.
me too
Me three.
I believe that is me four to you buddy, beat you to three. ;D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 13th, '08, 14:05

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '08, 14:05

Victoria wrote:So glad it's Friday!
Here here!

Jun 13th, '08, 14:09

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '08, 14:09

henley wrote: Image

Jun 13th, '08, 14:11

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 14:11

Organic is unfortunately too much a matter of convenience or inconvenience for me. Where tea is concerned, I do not mind ordering Makaibari or Arya organic Darjeeling because it is convenient to find good examples of this region in organic. Elsewhere, it is not so easy.

For Japanese greens, I have only had one and it was adaquate, but not sensational.

Started w/ Adagio Golden Monkey.

Now onto my first session of Farmer Shincha. Not sure if I quite hit the mark. Seems logical to use a lot of leaf due to its many components, but I may have brewed too long.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 13th, '08, 14:13

by Tea na » Jun 13th, '08, 14:13

I picked organic because I usually try to buy organic if I can. When reading labels, seems like organic foods have less junk - BUT I don't know anything about organic teas, so I answered with my food bias.

This morning I finished off my golden monkey - yum, and have moved on to some Twinnings white tea my husband bought me from the Twinnings shop in London.

Happy sipping!
Tea na

Jun 13th, '08, 14:14

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 14:14

Salsero wrote:I don’t know about you all, but this diet of shincha sencha and primo oolong is wearing me down! Too intense. And with Auggy’s computer drama on top of it all, my nerves are frayed. I’m stopping by the Dian Hong Café for some soothing black tea: Yunnan Gold, with its low astringency, notes of hay and chocolate. “Dian” is another (older?) name for Yunnan Province in the mountainous southwest of China, and “Hong” means red, the Chinese name for the class of teas we call black tea in the West. For some reason, we named the teas after the color of the dry leaves, while the Chinese named them after the color of the brewed liquor. BTW, this is a Fall 2006 Yunnan Gold that just seems to get better as it ages.

The ferns are Holly Ferns. As you might imagine, my favorite part of ferns is the spores on the back, so I’ve flipped one over so you can enjoy them too. Click the photo to see the same thing in BIG.
Masculine...I see the organic milk is keeping bovine estrogen out of your system.

Jun 13th, '08, 14:15

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 14:15

henley wrote:Same answer as Victoria, Space & Tenuki. The taste is more important than whether or not it's organic.
Victoria wrote:Henley, I think we'd all like to get a better look at your avatar pic.
Per your request, here's my shot of Tea on the Beach. Which BTW, tastes better than the other infamous "on the beach" drink. :lol: In the cup was equal parts of Oolong #8 & OBO. In spite of taking 3 different teas w/me, this was what I drank everyday.

Using this cup & saucer has been fun. It's been hanging on my kitchen wall for apr 6 yrs as part of my teacup collection. Finally decided last week to use it for the purpose intended!
And this Sal is what a non organic milk does to you...quite girly!!!

Tea on the beach....groovy. Thanx, Henley for sharing with us. :wink:

Jun 13th, '08, 14:23

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 14:23

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image

Yes, more rice grain porcelain too. This is the only other one I have, also from my grandfather's estate.
I like this one...I am after you on the Oolong Box Pass...you know what to do. :wink:

Jun 13th, '08, 14:29

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '08, 14:29

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image
Best girly cup evva.