Saturday's TeaDay 6/14/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

JoGrebe has a morbid question. How much teaware have you managed to break in your TeaCareer?

ZERO, knock on bamboo
43%
1 piece
19%
2 pieces
17%
3 pieces
9%
4 pieces
9%
5 pieces
No votes
6 pieces
No votes
7 pieces
2%
MORE???
No votes

Total votes: 53

Jun 14th, '08, 14:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 14th, '08, 14:26

RussianSoul wrote:I can say that I broke one piece. But in reality it committed suicide. I opened the cupboard and an ancient flowery teacup jumped out and shattered. The sad part was that it was one of the two very old teacups we inherited from my husband's grandmother. I am wearing this grandmother's engagement ring and her wedding band with which she got married in 1908. I can only guess, but it is possible that this teacup was from about the same era.

Here is the lonely survivor:

The spoon pictured is the same age as the cup, solid silver but thinned with age and wear, and carries a monogram of the family name.
Very nice RS, and what's in the cup?

Jun 14th, '08, 14:37

by RussianSoul » Jun 14th, '08, 14:37

Victoria wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:I can say that I broke one piece. But in reality it committed suicide. I opened the cupboard and an ancient flowery teacup jumped out and shattered. The sad part was that it was one of the two very old teacups we inherited from my husband's grandmother. I am wearing this grandmother's engagement ring and her wedding band with which she got married in 1908. I can only guess, but it is possible that this teacup was from about the same era.

Here is the lonely survivor:

The spoon pictured is the same age as the cup, solid silver but thinned with age and wear, and carries a monogram of the family name.
Very nice RS, and what's in the cup?
Assam Mangalam from TeaGschwendner.

Jun 14th, '08, 14:37

by bi lew chun » Jun 14th, '08, 14:37

I chipped a gaiwan recently. It's still usable, but aesthetically grating. My Laotian friend's mother tells her it's bad luck to drink from or eat off of chipped dishes, but since I'm not drinking from the gaiwan, I think I'm okay.

Jun 14th, '08, 15:10

by henley » Jun 14th, '08, 15:10

RussianSoul wrote: The sad part was that it was one of the two very old teacups we inherited from my husband's grandmother...
...The spoon pictured is the same age as the cup, solid silver but thinned with age and wear, and carries a monogram of the family name.
I'm sure she would be pleased to know you are enjoying using her teaware. Thanx for sharing it w/us. :D

Jun 14th, '08, 15:11

None so far...

by neowolf » Jun 14th, '08, 15:11

Which is amazing given how clumsy I am..

Right now I'm drinking some lightly sweetened chamomile iced tea. Delicious~

Jun 14th, '08, 15:16

by fodder0 » Jun 14th, '08, 15:16

Started with Nepal First Flush early this morning, then sipping on some warm Green Anji at the moment.

I've yet to sweeten my chamomile, might need to give it a try soon, love the flavor itself. Are you adding honey, or something else to sweeten it?

Jun 14th, '08, 15:40

by olivierco » Jun 14th, '08, 15:40

Miyabi shincha this afternoon and some rooibos to end a nice five tea teaday.

Jun 14th, '08, 15:54

by Chip » Jun 14th, '08, 15:54

Fukamushi Maki currently. Less than one session left after this one. I went really low temp...158*. Turns out sweeter this way.

I am like Sal, contemplating opening Yutaka Midori...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 14th, '08, 17:00

by Tea na » Jun 14th, '08, 17:00

I don't have much teaware, so I haven't had the opportunity to break anything yet! Ha ha!

I had a nice Kentucky blend of loose tea this morning (I'm not sure what is in the blend, but it did remind me of outdoors - kind of a smoky flavor)...anyway, then I had a little matcha (so I could finish my final exam)...

I'm going to have more tea this afternoon, but so far I cannot decide what to have, so I'm having nothing. There is something very wrong with that, I had better go decide!!!

Have a great day!
Tea Na

Jun 14th, '08, 17:04

by Chip » Jun 14th, '08, 17:04

Tea na wrote:I don't have much teaware, so I haven't had the opportunity to break anything yet! Ha ha!

I had a nice Kentucky blend of loose tea this morning (I'm not sure what is in the blend, but it did remind me of outdoors - kind of a smoky flavor)...anyway, then I had a little matcha (so I could finish my final exam)...

I'm going to have more tea this afternoon, but so far I cannot decide what to have, so I'm having nothing. There is something very wrong with that, I had better go decide!!!

Have a great day!
Tea Na
LOL...we have all probably been there and done that many times. Hope you decide soon!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 14th, '08, 17:22

by henley » Jun 14th, '08, 17:22

Enjoyed an afternoon to myself & made the last of the Shincha Hatsumi from "the box". I actually like this one :shock: but green tea is awfully fussy.

And Tea na, welcome to the wonderful world of staring at the tea waiting for the right one to call your name! :lol:

Jun 14th, '08, 17:32

by neowolf » Jun 14th, '08, 17:32

fodder0 wrote:Started with Nepal First Flush early this morning, then sipping on some warm Green Anji at the moment.

I've yet to sweeten my chamomile, might need to give it a try soon, love the flavor itself. Are you adding honey, or something else to sweeten it?
Honey compliments it quite nicely, though when making iced tea I normally use about half a teaspoon per cup of sugar.

Jun 14th, '08, 17:34

by Chip » Jun 14th, '08, 17:34

neowolf wrote:
fodder0 wrote:Started with Nepal First Flush early this morning, then sipping on some warm Green Anji at the moment.

Honey compliments it quite nicely, though when making iced tea I normally use about half a teaspoon per cup of sugar.
use about half a teaspoon per cup of sugar= "sweet tea"? :D

Jun 14th, '08, 17:39

by Beanbean » Jun 14th, '08, 17:39

Just checking in with my afternoon cup. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have finally opened a 1 oz. package of organic oolong that a dear friend gave to me when I was visiting him in Santa Fe last August. :shock: :oops: The tea comes from the Laughing Turtle Soap Company in Albuquerque which may have played into my reluctance to try it.

As it turns out, the tea is quite lovely. It's a very pale brew with a full flavor. I'm pleasantly surprised and now I'm going to go and check out the website.

Jun 14th, '08, 17:41

by CynTEAa » Jun 14th, '08, 17:41

One more post CHIP!!!! ---> 3000 :D :D :D