Thursday will be TeaDay 6/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your ONE favorite teaware color is...?

Clear
27%
White
11%
Blue
16%
Green
7%
Brown
13%
red/orange
4%
Purple
No votes
Tan
2%
Black
2%
Silver
No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 45

Jun 19th, '08, 14:39

by Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 14:39

auggy wrote: If it were work I wouldn't answer. But there was a time of two years that every 6 months, someone died and we always got the call early in the morning - and the last time the ILs called early in the morning, hubby's grandma had died. So I only answered it because I thought something awful happened. Had I known she wanted to chat about the kitties' ringworm....
Well for me if work calls it means something BIG is happening. For my job there is very little why anyone would call at 6am that couldn't wait until I regularly got into the office. It would have to be pretty major.

Maybe she thought ringworm was serious business!
auggy wrote: Ah, if only I were valued less. Sadly, she calls more often to talk to me than she does to talk to her own son.

Ah, if only I were valued less. Sadly, she calls more often to talk to me than she does to talk to her own son.
But her son she's gotten to talk to for much longer i'm sure. She's just trying to get you caught up.

Nah, I don't consider it complaining. I like to think of it as venting. Everyone needs a place to let off steam every so often.

I don't think that I'll ever find a porcelean teacup that I really like. Most of them seem too gaudy for my tastes.

Jun 19th, '08, 14:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 14:42

henley wrote:And Mr Mailman was my friend today & definitely saved the best package for last! :D Had Sencha Overture & Magnolia Oolong for lunch. Verdict is still out on both of them. While the sencha didn't have the usual 'green' taste I describe, it was NOWHERE near as good as the Shincha Hatsumi. The magnolia oolong was pleasantly surprising but not sure that I would order it.
It is amazing how the Hatsumi is impressing recipients of the box pass. This as remarkable because it is causing problems amoung the regular sencha group.

It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.

Having nailed it finally, I do love it. But I could have given up.

I was impressed with your photo today, Henley. That cup and saucer is a beauty. The lily...is it "Casa Blanca" oriental lily? You removed the staining stamens...you have lily experience! :wink:
Last edited by Chip on Jun 19th, '08, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 19th, '08, 14:43

by Salsero » Jun 19th, '08, 14:43

auggy wrote:Contrary to what it must seem like here, I'm actually a really optimistic person.
I can see how optimistic you are by looking at your avatar.

Jun 19th, '08, 14:47

by Geekgirl » Jun 19th, '08, 14:47

Chip wrote: It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.
Maybe it's beginner's luck. I'm back on the shincha this morning, and just can't get the wonderful flavor I got out of it last night. This latest try is the closest, 160F water, 45 second steep, but it's still not right. :(

Jun 19th, '08, 14:47

by auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 14:47

Chip wrote:I know what you are saying about the scarey late night/early morning calls. It is always bad news...unless it is my crazy relative who thinks it is normal to call around midnight. She should drink more tea and less of the hard stuff which seems to impair her judgement. :roll:
Yep, she sucks down the energy drinks like they are water. The java monster or whatever is her fav and she drinks 2 or 3 a day I think. It's oh so scary.

Jun 19th, '08, 14:48

by henley » Jun 19th, '08, 14:48

Thought I would post a reality check. This is in honor of all the lovely photos that get posted & the part of them that nobody sees. Just finished washing my teaware from yesterday & today. This is what happens when you spend the day hanging out w/a girlfriend & get behind on housework. It's also what happens when you get 3 shipments of tea in 2 days! :shock: :lol:

Jun 19th, '08, 14:48

Re: Hibiki-an Shincha Fukamushi

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 14:48

Salsero wrote:Fukamushi parameters – once again – provided by the right honorable Chip. Teaware, courtesy of Japan Inc.

As usual you can click on the photo for a front seat view. Additionally, today, and for a limited time only, on the little 5 oz beauty, we are providing
FULL FRONTAL,
REAR, and
PROFILE,
for those who must see all.
I am guessing second steep? Nothing greener than fuka second steep except matcha of course. DUDE....I want to come and see all your teaware laid out all at once! You keep sneaking newbies into the photos.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 19th, '08, 14:50

by Geekgirl » Jun 19th, '08, 14:50

henley wrote:Thought I would post a reality check. This is in honor of all the lovely photos that get posted & the part of them that nobody sees. Just finished washing my teaware from yesterday & today. This is what happens when you spend the day hanging out w/a girlfriend & get behind on housework. It's also what happens when you get 3 shipments of tea in 2 days! :shock: :lol:
LOVE it! My kitchen drainboard often looks like this, except much less "English." LOL!

Jun 19th, '08, 14:52

by auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 14:52

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: If it were work I wouldn't answer. But there was a time of two years that every 6 months, someone died and we always got the call early in the morning - and the last time the ILs called early in the morning, hubby's grandma had died. So I only answered it because I thought something awful happened. Had I known she wanted to chat about the kitties' ringworm....
Well for me if work calls it means something BIG is happening. For my job there is very little why anyone would call at 6am that couldn't wait until I regularly got into the office. It would have to be pretty major.
Hehe - the last time I got a late night or early morning call for work was when a storm blew part of the roof off of our building and there was tons of water damage. But I let it roll to voicemail. And I would do it again! :lol: Of course, now that I work, people call me on Saturdays to ask me how many brownies per batch should they do for the bake sale. :roll:
Pentox wrote:I don't think that I'll ever find a porcelean teacup that I really like. Most of them seem too gaudy for my tastes.
SO TRUE! There are some scary ones out there. I like the calmer ones (preferably with no gold).

I actually just got this one.
Something about wild onions on a tea cup just makes me tingle in a happy way.

by olivierco » Jun 19th, '08, 14:52

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 tonight in a bizen yunomi.

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 14:52

henley wrote:Thought I would post a reality check. This is in honor of all the lovely photos that get posted & the part of them that nobody sees. Just finished washing my teaware from yesterday & today. This is what happens when you spend the day hanging out w/a girlfriend & get behind on housework. It's also what happens when you get 3 shipments of tea in 2 days! :shock: :lol:
That is a hoot..because my drainer looks a little like this, except it is all Asian pieces. Your washing looks much nicer than mine though.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 19th, '08, 14:53

by auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 14:53

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote:Contrary to what it must seem like here, I'm actually a really optimistic person.
I can see how optimistic you are by looking at your avatar.
Yeah, probably not a grumpy person's avatar. :lol:

Jun 19th, '08, 14:53

by henley » Jun 19th, '08, 14:53

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: LOVE it! My kitchen drainboard often looks like this, except much less "English." LOL!
Thanx! I think I'm the only person on the board who doesn't own a stitch of asian teaware.

Jun 19th, '08, 14:54

by auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 14:54

Chip wrote: It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.
I just followed the directions written on there and it was wonderful. So yeah, someone else did all the work!

Jun 19th, '08, 14:55

by Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 14:55

henley wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: LOVE it! My kitchen drainboard often looks like this, except much less "English." LOL!
Thanx! I think I'm the only person on the board who doesn't own a stitch of asian teaware.
That can be fixed.