Independence Day 2008...TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Happy 4th of July! Does tea figure in your holiday celebrations?

Yes, I am cooking out, but tea will definitely figure into my celebrating
27%
While I may not be cooking out today, tea will figure in
51%
Nope, not cooking out today, and tea will not be a part of my day
No votes
I am not living in the USA, but hope tea will be a part of the day
9%
Other
13%

Total votes: 45

Jul 4th, '08, 16:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 16:56

britt wrote:
Ralph Nader- drinks only organic green tea in recycled paper cups.

Hillary Clinton- likes the teas with the pleasant aroma but no taste or substance. Uses black clay cups to mask the true color of the tea, because contrary to popular opinion, she's not a skilled brewer. Prefers 1000cc Yixings because teapots, like government, should be as large as possible.

Obama- same as "Hillary Clinton."

McCain- same as "Hillary Clinton."

Ron Paul- prefers gyokuro and two ounce white porcelain cups. He believes in small, quality batches of tea and government, with nothing hidden or masked.
Um. Okay. :shock:

Jul 4th, '08, 17:18

by Katrina » Jul 4th, '08, 17:18

chamekke wrote:This is the day that all American tea-lovers travel to Boston Harbor and dip their teacups into the drink for a celebratory cuppa. The tea has been steeping for about 235 years now... should be pretty well brewed :wink:
As someone who lives just outside Boston I would recommend this activity only if you wish to develop a third eye or an extra arm. :shock:

I decided to just throw my teabags in the backyard instead.

Iced ginger peach (I'm noting a theme on the forum) during this morning's parade...which had NO fire trucks. How is that possible? I'm just glad my son didn't really notice since he'd been talking about them all week...Off to brew something hot because, like everywhere except where Henley lives, it's been raining off and on all day.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 4th, '08, 17:28

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 17:28

Finally got to some tea drinkin' today. (Threw a teabag in the marsh in honor of the Boston Tea Party.) Brewed a pitcher of Orange Blossom oolong (thanks to Victoria! YUMMY iced tea, I suspect I'll have to duke it out with hubby for my share.)

Moved on to what is becoming my standby tea: oolong #40. I love the color of this tea.

Click for large.

Jul 4th, '08, 17:28

by chamekke » Jul 4th, '08, 17:28

Katrina wrote:
chamekke wrote:This is the day that all American tea-lovers travel to Boston Harbor and dip their teacups into the drink for a celebratory cuppa. The tea has been steeping for about 235 years now... should be pretty well brewed :wink:
As someone who lives just outside Boston I would recommend this activity only if you wish to develop a third eye or an extra arm. :shock:
As in Blinky, the mutant carp...

Fair enough. I don't think a third eye would help my tea palate, anyway :)

Jul 4th, '08, 17:37

by henley » Jul 4th, '08, 17:37

Victoria wrote:This afternoon's tea - a sneak peek at one of the
Oolong Box Pass
teas courtsey of tenuki. I need to make sure
what I am passing on is safe to drink. :twisted:

Just looking out for you all!

MMMMMM Yum! This Tea Masters Spring 2008 Baozhong is
is soooo good. - I mean bad - I may have to throw it out.
:twisted:
Just make sure you throw it toward Georgia!

Geekgirl - Nice pic! I saved you a cupcake. :lol: Try combining equal parts of the two teas you mentioned. It's good hot or iced.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:13

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 18:13

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Yikes, Geekgirl, that's no fair! You used two flowers and a dragon against me! I can't compete in that market. I suppose this is all retaliation against me for misquoting you about pedestrians.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:18

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 18:18

muahahaha!!! :twisted:

I'll have you know I even got out the "backdrop" and my external flash. heh.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:21

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 18:21

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Finally got to some tea drinkin' today. (Threw a teabag in the marsh in honor of the Boston Tea Party.) Brewed a pitcher of Orange Blossom oolong (thanks to Victoria! YUMMY iced tea, I suspect I'll have to duke it out with hubby for my share.)

Moved on to what is becoming my standby tea: oolong #40. I love the color of this tea.

Click for large.
Oyyyyyyy my other weakness green glass. You are TRULY my teaware twin.
Lovely picture - the green glass just makes it.
Wow.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:31

by laran7 » Jul 4th, '08, 18:31

Your pictures are ALL beautiful - I don't know where to begin ( or how :( )
Have a great Fourth -
Its cold here and not sunny ( vs actually cloudy ).
I'm returning to hot oolong and honey.

MAYBE FIREWORKS!

Jul 4th, '08, 18:37

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 18:37

laran7 wrote:Your pictures are ALL beautiful - I don't know where to begin ( or how :( )
You just start by taking lots of pictures. Really, I have very little natural artistic ability. Everything I know (admittedly not much compared to true artists,) I cobbed from excellent photographers, and learned by extensive trial and (mostly) error. (I've learned quite a few things on here about doing stills/food.) I'd guess that most of us that have nice shots to post here have scores of photos that aren't viewing-worthy, and our early attempts barely resemble current output. But you have to start somewhere.

Besides, although we have fun with the "art of tea" with the photos, the real fun is just seeing what everyone else is doing - like a virtual tea party! No fancy photo abilities required. Just point, shoot and upload- Try it you'll like it!

Jul 4th, '08, 18:38

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 18:38

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:muahahaha!!! :twisted:

I'll have you know I even got out the "backdrop" and my external flash. heh.
Well, the results were worth the extra effort. Is the flash a fill or is it the primary light? It looks like daylight. Beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• **Offstage, soto voce, grrrr***

Image Image
Victoria wrote:...my other weakness green glass ...
And you are a person that seems to have an abnormally large number of weaknesses.

Jul 4th, '08, 18:48

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 18:48

Salsero wrote: Well, the results were worth the extra effort. Is the flash a fill or is it the primary light? It looks like daylight. Beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! daylight plus fill bounced off a matte white board almost directly above to reduce shadows. You can see where the daylight came in from the side in the (blown) highlights on the right side of the gaiwan. :lol:

This one has a little better lighting, less glare in the window, lower flash bounce location:

Jul 4th, '08, 18:49

by laran7 » Jul 4th, '08, 18:49

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
laran7 wrote:Your pictures are ALL beautiful - I don't know where to begin ( or how :( )
You just start by taking lots of pictures. Really, I have very little natural artistic ability. Everything I know (admittedly not much compared to true artists,) I cobbed from excellent photographers, and learned by extensive trial and (mostly) error. (I've learned quite a few things on here about doing stills/food.) I'd guess that most of us that have nice shots to post here have scores of photos that aren't viewing-worthy, and our early attempts barely resemble current output. But you have to start somewhere.

Besides, although we have fun with the "art of tea" with the photos, the real fun is just seeing what everyone else is doing - like a virtual tea party! No fancy photo abilities required. Just point, shoot and upload- Try it you'll like it!
Thank you - I will - I like arranging things - I honestly do feel like I've been to a tea party when I read this conversation everyday
Have a Happy Fourth!

Jul 4th, '08, 19:04

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 19:04

Plenty of us amateurs post too! Don't worry.

Here is that delicious Baozhong from the
Oolong Box Pass

Jul 4th, '08, 19:30

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 19:30

ACK!!! I love those dogs! Everytime you post them I turn GREEN with envy! Are they porcelain resin?