Saturday, 7/05/08, TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Tea gifts that you have received are generally...?

Bulls eye...right on the TeaTarget. I could not have selected something better
24%
Near misses, pretty close to a bulls eye, but I could do better
19%
Off target...cash would have been better
24%
Way off target, what are people thinking...
5%
Other
27%

Total votes: 37

Jul 5th, '08, 11:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 5th, '08, 11:37

henley wrote:Sal, I think this is the first time I've seen you do a photo w/o some sort of flowers or foliage. While the photo is still very nice, kinda miss your signature.
For some reason this photo is more obviously non-flowered than most, but there have been quite a few without flowers, for instance yesterday.

Yesterday starred Little Piggy who is hardly floral, but the porker has been creeping people out, so the aroma of bacon may soon be filling my home ...

Jul 5th, '08, 11:48

by bi lew chun » Jul 5th, '08, 11:48

Salsero wrote:Yesterday starred Little Piggy who is hardly floral, but the porker has been creeping people out, so the aroma of bacon may soon be filling my home ...
I'll feast on creepy pig. :o
Last edited by bi lew chun on Jul 5th, '08, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 5th, '08, 11:56

by RussianSoul » Jul 5th, '08, 11:56

Just brewed my last 3 grams of Tai Ping Hou Kui. It is even sweeter with the knowledge that it will be a little while before the new order arrives.

My tea gifts so far have all been bull's eye. This is because I told the givers exactly what to give me :twisted: . Even sent them specific links with detailed instructions :twisted: . Yea, nothing like giving the hand of the Fate a little guidance...

So far I got a fabulous kyusu from Artistic Nippon, Matsuba Yunomi from Hibiki-An and some amazing nearly weightless bone china cups from Dunoon. Oh, and I took my husband to a tea shop, selected my teas and he paid for them. I am a shrew I suppose, but I loved my tea gifts very much.

Jul 5th, '08, 11:59

by joelbct » Jul 5th, '08, 11:59

I put the UtiliTea Kettle on my Xmas list last year and my sis got it for me- I love that thing, use it every day...

<-- This morning, Shizuoka Shincha...

Jul 5th, '08, 12:08

by Salsero » Jul 5th, '08, 12:08

RussianSoul wrote: I am a shrew I suppose, but I loved my tea gifts very much.
I don't know about women, but most men are delighted to skip the shopping and wondering and worrying and getting the wrong thing part of gift giving. I say, point me in the right direction and tell me who to make the check out to!

Shrew? Funny, you look more like a cute little bear. A shrew is a rodent. Rodents don't drink tea.

Jul 5th, '08, 12:08

by Carnelian » Jul 5th, '08, 12:08

I've never recieved what I anticipated in terms of tea gifts, but I rarely am disappointed. Last christmas my friend made me a mini teapot in her ceramics class, only about an inch tall its really cute to display but the coolest part is that it actually pours.
Last edited by Carnelian on Jul 5th, '08, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 5th, '08, 12:09

by augie » Jul 5th, '08, 12:09

henley wrote:Sal, I think this is the first time I've seen you do a photo w/o some sort of flowers or foliage. While the photo is still very nice, kinda miss your signature.
It was a nice change of pace. So was Tenuki's fruity-ness. I am on my way to the store.
henley wrote:So there's hope for my kids? :lol: Dtr loves the fireworks but watched them w/hands over her ears & my hands over hers. Our 21 mth did okay until the very end when they shot off several at one time then he got upset
My 6.5 y.o. still hates loud noises. He will hold his hands over his ears all night during a thunderstorm, like your DD. We watched the fireworks that were lit from a building in downtown Indy, however, we were in a parking lot at DH's work that was far enough away we couldn't hear the ka-boom. He fell asleep and missed the last half!

Henley: Does your kid have ear problems? Mine is going on 4 years with his 2nd set of tubes. He hasn't had an inf. in 3 years, but still hates loud noises. I am not convinced it's all b/c of his tubes and ear canal, not convinced it isn't. He has a LOUD mouth and doesn't seem to be bothered by his own "stadium voice". :lol:

Jul 5th, '08, 12:14

by RussianSoul » Jul 5th, '08, 12:14

Salsero wrote:I say, point me in the right direction and tell me who to make the check out to!
Sal, you are so kind! I am sending you my wishlist.

Jul 5th, '08, 12:33

by henley » Jul 5th, '08, 12:33

augie wrote: He has a LOUD mouth and doesn't seem to be bothered by his own "stadium voice". :lol:
I like the term "stadium voice". We are forever reminding DD to use her inside voice. So far, her hearing has always tested fine. PMing the rest.
Salsero wrote:For some reason this photo is more obviously non-flowered than most, but there have been quite a few without flowers, for instance yesterday.
Don't know why it took me this long to notice. Nevermind...Image

Jul 5th, '08, 12:45

by geeber1 » Jul 5th, '08, 12:45

I haven't received many tea gifts yet, but I think that when my relatives hear that I'm getting into different teas, some will appear.

When people find out I like tea, they usually give me their boxes of tea that they either didn't like or didn't know what to do with. Most of them haven't thrilled me either, so I take them to work and put them up in the kitchen area.

I like the idea of telling people exactly what I want, but that feels selfish somehow. :? I do tell my husband, but pretty much leave other gift-givers to choose something on their own.

This morning I have iced chai with almond milk.

Jul 5th, '08, 12:47

by Ti » Jul 5th, '08, 12:47

What's a gift?

TKY today.

Jul 5th, '08, 13:09

by Victoria » Jul 5th, '08, 13:09

My tea gifts have been dead on, but then I have only recieved tea gifts from TC members so there ya go.

Still deciding on this morning's brew as I peruse the contents of the
Oolong Box Pass

bi lew chun, pass the bacon please.

:lol:

Jul 5th, '08, 13:15

by auggy » Jul 5th, '08, 13:15

I voted other - I haven't actually received any tea gifts. Well, unless you count the youth pastor occasionally giving me green tea flavored ginger ale or whatever, which I don't. But even though the stuff he gives me to try is rather icky, it's really nice that he thinks about me.

No tea yet today. Getting ready to do some yard work - our bushes in the front are trying to eat the house. After that and a shower, I'll cook up some green, though not sure which one yet.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Jul 5th, '08, 13:29

by chamekke » Jul 5th, '08, 13:29

The only person who gives me tea is my tea sensei, and her taste is (naturally) pretty reliable. This only happens about once a year, though.

Tea wares - similar. My sensei gave me a fukusa with mice on it for the Year of the Mouse (the fukusa is a silk cloth used in the Way of Tea), and I have one tea friend who gives me the occasional chawan or other tea-related ware. They both have similar tastes to mine, so I am usually delighted with whatever they give me. (And even when it's not something I love, the kind intention always gives the item tons of extra appeal!)

Everyone else knows me well enough to understand that I usually prefer to choose my own teas and tea wares :wink:

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 5th, '08, 13:37

by olivierco » Jul 5th, '08, 13:37

hop_goblin wrote:Hey.. common, a gift is a gift! :roll:
Well, chamekke has already answered to this...
chamekke wrote: Everyone else knows me well enough to understand that I usually prefer to choose my own teas and tea wares :wink:

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 to end the afternoon and some asa giri gyokuro very soon.