Saturday, 7/05/08, TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Tea gifts that you have received are generally...?

Bulls eye...right on the TeaTarget. I could not have selected something better
24%
Near misses, pretty close to a bulls eye, but I could do better
19%
Off target...cash would have been better
24%
Way off target, what are people thinking...
5%
Other
27%

Total votes: 37

Jul 5th, '08, 13:42

by insanitylater » Jul 5th, '08, 13:42

i'm lucky enough that a few people here sent me tea gifts (salsero, dizzwave, marky) and they were all very good teas since they came from knowledgeable people. hopefully i'll get to mail some tea out to someone in need very soon :)

my mom will buy tea from time to time but it's usually like republic of tea brand or stash. it's a nice thought but a lot of the time they sit untouched or i'll use it to make her tea when she wants some

i'm gonna go finish up the changtai banna shu session i started last night

Jul 5th, '08, 13:56

by auggy » Jul 5th, '08, 13:56

Well, after an hour of bush trimming, I had to stop. I cut the power cord. :oops: That makes 2 for 2. I apparently have the kiss of death when it comes to hedge trimmer power cords. :cry:

Jul 5th, '08, 14:15

by RussianSoul » Jul 5th, '08, 14:15

auggy wrote:Well, after an hour of bush trimming, I had to stop. I cut the power cord. :oops: That makes 2 for 2. I apparently have the kiss of death when it comes to hedge trimmer power cords. :cry:
I agree with Sal, auggy! You have a very interesting life!

Sorry about the power cord though... :cry:

Jul 5th, '08, 14:25

by auggy » Jul 5th, '08, 14:25

RussianSoul wrote:
auggy wrote:Well, after an hour of bush trimming, I had to stop. I cut the power cord. :oops: That makes 2 for 2. I apparently have the kiss of death when it comes to hedge trimmer power cords. :cry:
I agree with Sal, auggy! You have a very interesting life!

Sorry about the power cord though... :cry:
I actually have a pretty boring life, I think. DH and I don't really go out and do much or anything - very boring. Most of the stuff that happens is a one-time deal - lice and broken video cards and whatnot. Though it is looking like the power cord thing is becoming routine. I'm really lucky, though. DH laughs when I do it. I always am worried he'll yell when I do something stupid like that, but he's good to me. :)

Jul 5th, '08, 14:26

by chamekke » Jul 5th, '08, 14:26

I'm just glad you didn't get hurt - that's the main thing.

Sounds like it's time to stop and have a nice relaxing cup (or bowl) of tea!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 5th, '08, 14:36

by henley » Jul 5th, '08, 14:36

That just means hubby needs to trim the hedges instead of you! :twisted: :lol:

Jul 5th, '08, 14:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 5th, '08, 14:36

augie wrote:My 6.5 y.o. still hates loud noises. He will hold his hands over his ears all night during a thunderstorm, like your DD.
My 38 y.o. husband still hates loud noises too, and will even put his hands over his ears when a dog barks, during TV commercials, when the phone rings. Sometimes when we're driving, and I'm talking (all the time,) he'll put his finger in his right ear. I convinced him that wasn't such a good idea. :evil: :lol:

Tea gifts... I chose "other" because for the most part tea gifts have been bombs, with the notable exception of the Dragon tetsubin my hubby bought for my birthday a few years ago.

I don't know what it is about tea either, because with other gifts I haven't been that hard to please. I have a nice little collection of vintage cameras- that's a no-brainer I guess. Books... that usually comes in the form of a gift certificate, so that's perfect. Gardening... the rule is: you buy it you plant it. Works out nicely. Jewelry- I don't wear much, mainly earrings, and the very few people who would be inclined to buy me jewelry know the shops I prefer, and the shop people know me and my preferences. ...

blah blah blah...

Tea, um yeah! Next post. Drinking the last of the unidentified 1998 "Menghai" shu pu.

Jul 5th, '08, 14:57

by Geekgirl » Jul 5th, '08, 14:57

Jul 5th, '08, 15:02

by britt » Jul 5th, '08, 15:02

chamekke wrote:Everyone else knows me well enough to understand that I usually prefer to choose my own teas and tea wares :wink:
You said that just in time. I had already shipped you a kuro raku replica of chojuro's shunkan, but don't worry- I was able to recall it before UPS delivered it to you!:D

Jul 5th, '08, 15:08

by Salsero » Jul 5th, '08, 15:08

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
There she goes with the old double flower trick again! At least there is no dragon this time.

Schweet pic, sis. I think you may already have told us about the pot, but where is it from again and what's the capacity? Where does the tray come from also? ... while you're at it, throw in the story behind the tea itself. That is shu pu in the pic, right? Which infusion and how does it taste? I'm sorry if I am asking you to repeat stories, but I am old, I forget.

Jul 5th, '08, 15:17

by Salsero » Jul 5th, '08, 15:17

olivierco wrote:Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 to end the afternoon and some asa giri gyokuro very soon.
Sorry, Olivierco, if you already told us somewhere, but where do you get your Darjeelings from? Do you drink any other South Asian tea, like Ceylon or Nepal?

Jul 5th, '08, 15:23

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 5th, '08, 15:23

Salsero wrote:Schweet pic, sis. I think you may already have told us about the pot, but where is it from again and what's the capacity? Where does the tray come from also? ... while you're at it, throw in the story behind the tea itself. That is shu pu in the pic, right? Which infusion and how does it taste? I'm sorry if I am asking you to repeat stories, but I am old, I forget.
Yes, do tell, Geekgirl. I am young; I probably didn't pay attention last time.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 5th, '08, 15:25

by Geekgirl » Jul 5th, '08, 15:25

Salsero wrote: There she goes with the old double flower trick again! At least there is no dragon this time.

Schweet pic, sis. I think you may already have told us about the pot, but where is it from again and what's the capacity? Where does the tray come from also? ... while you're at it, throw in the story behind the tea itself. That is shu pu in the pic, right? Which infusion and how does it taste? I'm sorry if I am asking you to repeat stories, but I am old, I forget.
Hehe. Those flowers were so perfect, I had to use them again today. Sadly, I don't have any nice vases (a new addiction?) so they are currently wetting their feet in a soda bottle. Ha!

Pot: found this stashed on a back shelf at Tea Zone in Portland. It's not my favorite shop, but I was downtown with a friend and stepped in. It was very inexpensive IIRC, less than $20. It has a makers chop, but there was no box of any kind and they had to "guess" at the price. It holds just under 100ml.

The tray is from Tao of Tea. It was over priced, and I wouldn't buy it again, as I have since discovered other vendors selling the same thing for 1/2 the price.

The tea is shu pu from Serenity Art. It's the 1998 Menghai in loose leaf form. Details? I don't know, it was all written on the canister in Chinese, and the lady said "yeh yeh menghai facty dat wite. gooooood tea good fo you."

Quick rinse, then 10 second 1st steep which is in the photo. This was the first puerh I tried that didn't remind me of licking a sheep, it's also the first one I tried that made me understand puerh obsessions. It has a very warm and earthy flavor, but not really composty, more like a dark, heavy whole grain bread. It has a sweet finish. (I'm sending a bit to you with the chataku box. You can tell me what you think.)

edit: I brew this one at about 195-200. The liquor is heavy, feels like a fine Islay scotch.

2nd and 3rd steeps are very dark, almost approaching the appearance of coffee. Also 10-20 seconds. I don't know how long this can go, I've yet to steep until it gives out. Longest session with this tea so far is 8-9 steeps. I'm on #4 today.

Jul 5th, '08, 15:50

by Tea na » Jul 5th, '08, 15:50

I voted right on target because the last tea gift I got was a boatload of tea from England my husband gave me. It was very nice, now I have to drink more tea to clean out my pantry. BUT I am willing to make the sacrifice!

Had Irish Breakfast this morning, then just finished off some of the stuff from Twinnings. Might have white tea later today.

Happy Tea Day!
Tea Na
Tea-Na

Jul 5th, '08, 15:51

by tenuki » Jul 5th, '08, 15:51

omegapd wrote: Tenuki, I'm a Red Sox fan all the way, but those years of Trammel at short and Sweet Lou at second bring back some memories. Them letting Kirk Gibson get away is just about as bad as the Sox selling the Babe to the hated Yankees.
so true.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )