Monday, OOLONG BOX PASS DAY, 7/07/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Oolong Box Pass sets sail today across the USA. Where would you like your next oolong to come from?

China
33%
Taiwan
45%
India
No votes
Korea
No votes
Nepal
No votes
Thailand
5%
Other
17%

Total votes: 42

Jul 7th, '08, 11:45

by Aphroditea » Jul 7th, '08, 11:45

As I am exploring oolongs (and enjoying the adventure thoroughly) I voted for something I have not yet tried but which piqued my interest....Thailand Oolongs.

So far, the majority of my oolongs have been Formosas and I have been very happy with them! I had no idea any place, other than China and Taiwan, even did oolongs. <---newbie

My husband, while stationed in Korea, did a good deal of vacationing in Thailand and always talks about how beautiful the country is and about all these little hidden treasures like reclining Buddhas and rainforests full of butterflies. I don't know anything about Thai oolongs, but I thought anything tied to the gorgeous vistas he has described would be worth a try :)

Jul 7th, '08, 11:57

by augie » Jul 7th, '08, 11:57

Victoria wrote: This morning's brew is the Monkey Picked Oolong from New Century Tea Gallery
and is also one of OVER 30 Oolongs in the:
Did you throw in one of those lovely Bodum cups featured in Salsero's photo of the day? This is like waiting for Christmas, SPEED is the key word in that photo, Salsero. I can hardly stand to look at those pictures anymore. Ugh!

Don't remember what I voted for. I rarely order the same item twice.

Dog is eating solid food this morning!

Jul 7th, '08, 12:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 7th, '08, 12:37

kymidwife wrote:..."Japanese Oolong"...

Now I'm puzzling over wondering what it was, where it came from, etc. Maybe it was Taiwanese and misnamed on the menu?
There is a very limited amount of oolong produced in Japan, but there is some, so your shop either misnamed it or has very good sources!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 7th, '08, 13:11

by henley » Jul 7th, '08, 13:11

Found the double lilies had bloomed this morning. Thought the tropical looking flower paired nicely w/the White Tropica tea from lunch.

Jul 7th, '08, 13:27

by Victoria » Jul 7th, '08, 13:27

WOW!! That cup is GORGEOUS!!

Jul 7th, '08, 13:34

by Salsero » Jul 7th, '08, 13:34

henley wrote: Image
Wowsers! That is the ultimate tropical girlie moment! Beautiful.

Are there any details to divulge about the cup? Who made it, where it's from, whatever.
Last edited by Salsero on Jul 7th, '08, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 7th, '08, 13:46

by Chip » Jul 7th, '08, 13:46

I would likely choose a Formosa/Taiwan oolong...I seem to be drawn to these the most. But I am always willing to try something different. Japanese oolong direct from Japan would be interesting to try as would Korean and Thailands.

End of the day though, I voted Taiwan.

I will have some oolong a little later to celebrate the box pass...I am 9th on the journey I think. But had Adagio Yunnan Gold this morning and currently the last of my Fukamushi Houryoko with a little Fukamushi Supreme to make a full session.

Nice Photos Sal and Henley! Thanx as always for sharing with us and brightening our days.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 7th, '08, 13:56

by auggy » Jul 7th, '08, 13:56

Wow, I've been productive today. Cleaned some teaware (still need to do the zoji, but hey, I'm drinking tea here! Maybe I'll do it later. Or maybe not), vacuumed, did a few loads of laundry, made the bed, prepped for the vet appointment, and made some clouds and mist tea. Made it with more leaf this time to see if that would help awesome up the 2nd and 3rd steeps and it really made a difference in the overall taste. Now it is this really cool asparagus/honey mix - more asparagus when it is hot and cools down into a stronger honey flavor. I think I still like the taste w/ less leaf for the first steep, but more for the 2nd and 3rd. Hmm, how to swing that? I guess my first cup will be really big and my 2nd and 3rd will be smaller with this tea!

Well, more laundry for me, then it'll be vet time. That should be fun. No, actually not.

Jul 7th, '08, 13:58

by Tea na » Jul 7th, '08, 13:58

Salsero wrote:
henley wrote: Image
Wowsers! That is the ultimate tropical girlie moment! Beautiful.

Are there any details to divulge about the cup? Who made it, where it's from, whatever.
WOW, that is very stunning! I love logging on to see what pictures have been taken!

I voted China because I don't know anything about oolongs, and was thinking that was a good place to start.

Drinking Irish Breakfast this morning, trying to kill off the box. I had 3 cups yesterday morning and I was a little feisty afterward (but I did get a lot done around the house) :lol:
Tea-Na

Jul 7th, '08, 14:02

by Tea na » Jul 7th, '08, 14:02

auggy wrote:

Well, more laundry for me, then it'll be vet time. That should be fun. No, actually not.
I'm also in the laundry mode....luckily no vet (today). Try not to get scratched (ha ha!) :lol:
Tea-Na

Jul 7th, '08, 14:16

by auggy » Jul 7th, '08, 14:16

Tea na wrote:
auggy wrote:

I'm also in the laundry mode....luckily no vet (today). Try not to get scratched (ha ha!) :lol:
So true! One that's going today HATES getting in the carrier and grabs on to anything to prevent it - including sensitive and easily punctured skin. The other one gets car sick - from both end. :shock:

Jul 7th, '08, 14:17

by Pentox » Jul 7th, '08, 14:17

auggy wrote: So true! One that's going today HATES getting in the carrier and grabs on to anything to prevent it - including sensitive and easily punctured skin. The other one gets car sick - from both end. :shock:
Egads. That's not a pretty picture.

Jul 7th, '08, 14:19

by Salsero » Jul 7th, '08, 14:19

Course, Chip, you realize that you are not making any friends in the PRC by listing Taiwan separately from China. You wouldn't want to get our president in trouble because you didn't follow our government's "one China" policy, in effect since the Nixon administration.

Jul 7th, '08, 14:28

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 7th, '08, 14:28

I'm surprised so many people are saying Taiwan (aside from its apparent non-existence as a separate entity, according to the good ol' PRC)! Taiwanese oolongs are great, but China has so much more easily-obtainable variety.

Jul 7th, '08, 14:34

by omegapd » Jul 7th, '08, 14:34

Enjoying a cup today of kymidwife's Cran Cherry Adagio blend. I had gotten away from the flavored teas in the last few days and this is really great! I think it'll make a super iced tea when my fridge pitcher is empty next time...

(even got 2 steeps out of it. 4 minute first one and 7 minute second- perfect!)

Thanks, Sarah!

EW