Fanatical Wednesday 7/09/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you fanatical about cleaning your teaware?

Extremely, I thoroughly wash and descale after each use
8%
Pretty much, I wash and descale frequently
19%
Maybe, I wash and descale at least once a week
35%
No, not really...I have teaware issues
25%
Definitely not...think mold, stalagmites and stalactites
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 52

Jul 9th, '08, 19:57

by chamekke » Jul 9th, '08, 19:57

bi lew chun wrote:Maybe Pentox and Olivierco are like the two William T. Rikers from TNG.
It's be more fun if they were like the two Spocks from ST:TOS (our Spock and AlternativeUniverseSexyEvilBearded!Spock).

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 9th, '08, 20:24

by tenuki » Jul 9th, '08, 20:24

fresh matcha
fine baozhong
nicely aged menghai 7572

cleaning? what is that?
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 9th, '08, 20:34

by RussianSoul » Jul 9th, '08, 20:34

I had a nice Assam Mangalam as a first tea of the day, them moved to Long Jing, and now am drinking shincha Hashiri. But my Long Jing is not finished, I will continue with it as soon as Hashiri is done with.

I clean my cups and pots as soon as, or no later than tomorrow morning. Having very few pots makes it a necessity. I do put my bone china cups into a dishwasher, they are incredibly strong - did you know? Just put them on a top rack and make sure nothing touches them.

I have not ever descaled my kettle. I am vaguely aware that I perhaps should, but not sure, whatever... It isn't high on my priority list, it may change, who knows.

Jul 9th, '08, 20:52

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 9th, '08, 20:52

I am actually rather fanatical about cleaning tea ware. It gets thoroughly rinsed after every use and baking soda-ed when it smells funny. If it is late at night, I rinse my cup out in the bathroom sink. I refuse to use soap on certain items that will absorb the flavor and rarely use the dishwasher for my tea ware except when Mom loads my mugs in it without my knowledge. I have forgotten leaves overnight in my infuser basket before, which resulted in a very interesting tea the next time around. I left Masala Chai in the nylon basket overnight, so today my Wuyi Ensemble had a nice cinnamon-ginger after taste. I liked it better than the normal taste of the Wuyi.

Today, I had White Peach at work and now am enjoying the second steep of the Wuyi Ensemble mentioned above.

Jul 9th, '08, 21:15

by laran7 » Jul 9th, '08, 21:15

I had Jasmine tea tonight - and found out that its way too flowery for me.
That was a surprise. Like drinking perfume - the way cilantro used to reming me
trying to eat soap.

no fun.

Some hard water areas are really difficult. I had well water where we used to live
that was very hard - and the pipes in the house were copper. So periodically
the sinks would develope blue green streaks and metalic stellactites. (?) We had even been advised never to drink it. ( The cancer rates on the Cape are high but no one wants to say why ). I switched to Evian water - which causes build up in the tea kettle - but at this point it doesn't scare me. I descale that with a scrub brush and running water - I have not had to use vinegar/water. I just put anything
pottery or china in the dishwasher. I don't have any impressive teaware - but I agree with the Japanese treatment of the kettle - sometimes the mineral build up can be beneficial or at least benign.

Jul 9th, '08, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 9th, '08, 23:33

I run my tokoname, yixing, and antique gurleyware through the dishwasher once a week. I use a rinse aid to keep it all sparkling clean and avoid water spots.

Jul 9th, '08, 23:34

by Victoria » Jul 9th, '08, 23:34

Salsero wrote:I run my tokoname, yixing, and antique gurleyware through the dishwasher once a week. I use a rinse aid to keep it all sparkling clean and avoid water spots.
<Gasp> You do not put a Tokoname in the dishwasher!!
You have to be joking!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Jul 9th, '08, 23:37

by bi lew chun » Jul 9th, '08, 23:37

chamekke wrote:
bi lew chun wrote:Maybe Pentox and Olivierco are like the two William T. Rikers from TNG.
It's be more fun if they were like the two Spocks from ST:TOS (our Spock and AlternativeUniverseSexyEvilBearded!Spock).
Oh no you dinint. That Riker episode was classic! The yellow-shirted one wanted to be named Thomas? And the red-shirted one was William T? Come on, that is some sublime writing right there.

Jul 9th, '08, 23:38

by bi lew chun » Jul 9th, '08, 23:38

Victoria wrote:
Salsero wrote:I run my tokoname, yixing, and antique gurleyware through the dishwasher once a week. I use a rinse aid to keep it all sparkling clean and avoid water spots.
<Gasp> You do not put a Tokoname in the dishwasher!!
You have to be joking!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes, say it isn't so! Please?

Jul 9th, '08, 23:43

by bi lew chun » Jul 9th, '08, 23:43

tenuki wrote:cleaning? what is that?
:)

Hey, I ordered the Shi Piao Hu pot from Stephane (to go with the Baozhongs you and Victoria have been tempting me with). Very excited, very excited over here!

Jul 10th, '08, 00:48

by Salsero » Jul 10th, '08, 00:48

bi lew chun wrote:Hey, I ordered the Shi Piao Hu pot from Stephane (to go with the Baozhongs you and Victoria have been tempting me with). Very excited, very excited over here!
That better not have been his last one or you are in a heap o' trouble.

Jul 10th, '08, 01:35

by horsencl » Jul 10th, '08, 01:35

Today I'm drinking the last of my SeredipiTea Bolivian Black. I must say I'm loving it. I'm not a big black tea person but this one is a favorite for me.

I'm not super fanatical about cleaning my teaware. I was when I first got my Zarafina tea maker but now it sits with a protective layer of dust and a basket full of leaves :D I can't use it as often in the summer because we will blow a fuse if I run it and an air conditioner at the same time. I guess that it why I've become lazy with it. My pots, cups and saucers get hand washed. The tea kettle needs to be descaled every once in a while but that is mostly my mom's domain since she uses it more than I do.

Jul 10th, '08, 02:05

by bi lew chun » Jul 10th, '08, 02:05

Salsero wrote:
bi lew chun wrote:Hey, I ordered the Shi Piao Hu pot from Stephane (to go with the Baozhongs you and Victoria have been tempting me with). Very excited, very excited over here!
That better not have been his last one or you are in a heap o' trouble.
Don't worry. I'll take a GIGANTIC picture for you if it is. :twisted:

Jul 10th, '08, 12:03

by Pentox » Jul 10th, '08, 12:03

chamekke wrote:
*grows a beard really quickly*

yes..... AlternativeUniverseSEXYEvilBearded one...

Jul 10th, '08, 13:46

by Riene » Jul 10th, '08, 13:46

Spock and tea in the same thread. It just doesn't get much better than this...

...maybe with chocolate... :twisted:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty