Fanatical Thursday 7/10/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Fanatical about your teacup? What is the ONE feature that is a MUST before you will sip from it?

SIZE is of paramount importance
26%
MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH
32%
It is all about SHAPE
12%
STYLE
12%
ORIGIN
No votes
COLOR
4%
Must have a WHITE interior (unless maybe it is glass)
14%
NAME of maker
No votes
PRICE
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 50

Jul 10th, '08, 17:52

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 10th, '08, 17:52

I prefer a cup that feels "right" to me. I guess that goes under "MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH." My favorite cup is small, but fits nicely in my hand, is not too heavy, and is just the right thickness to drink out of comfortably. I retired a cup that I bought because of the pattern and shape, but it ended up being too heavy and awkward to drink out of easily. I agree with the other people who said a good cup just has to click.

Today, I made more White Peach for work. I drove home with the car windows down and kept smelling the farmer's fields and fresh cut grass, which made me crave sencha so I am now on the second steep of Den's Hashiri Shincha.

Jul 10th, '08, 18:08

by RussianSoul » Jul 10th, '08, 18:08

98 Aged Formosa Bai Hao from Hou De from Oolong Box is in my cup. Another hit! The first one was Iron Goddess King from New Century Tea Gallery. That Oolong Box is truly loaded with winners!

Today I lost my YiXing virginity. I brewed my oolongs in the YiXings that came with the box for the first time. I like them, I think I will getting me a couple.

I think I am already drunk on tea - too many exclamation signs and silliness!

Jul 10th, '08, 18:37

by hop_goblin » Jul 10th, '08, 18:37

I only care to use white cups when I am testing a new tea for obvious reasons.

Jul 10th, '08, 19:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 10th, '08, 19:12

Tea Xmas for me today. Received some stuff from Adagio, (although b-day tea is no longer the sample tea. :( :lol: I got a nice ceylon which I don't really "need." heh.)

But what I'm most excited about... dun dun dahhhhhh...

Got my first hagiware teacup, and OMG now I know what all the fuss is about. This cup is simple beautiful, and elegant. Perfectly weighted, the white color is so deep, which one never expects with a white glaze. Wow. I took some pics with "crappy office camera," but it seems that I mistakenly took the USB cord home and can't DL to my computer. Ah well, will make up for it with "fancy home camera" pics later. I hope I can do it justice.

Wow. Just what I needed, another obsession.

Oh yes, in my cup: a very nice Tippy South Cloud black with a touch of sweetener and milk. Very comforting. (No, it's not in the hagi cup. That one will never see a drop of milk or sugar.)

Jul 10th, '08, 19:54

by Tadpole » Jul 10th, '08, 19:54

I voted shape. Thin-walled with a slight outward flaring rim...you know what? I'm NOT fanatical about my teacup! It's a preference, that's all. I generally don't like thick heavy cups, or cylinder shaped cups, or the ones that have a huge diameter at the top and a tiny base. Like I said, I'm not fanatical. :wink:

Next in importance is size. Unless I'm using a mug, I like teacups no bigger than 3 oz.

Then color. White/cream is the bestest so I can see the tea color, celadons are interesting, anything darker I don't want it.

Speaking of celadon, I just made my first Hou De purchase to treat myself after grueling for 3 years at a job I didn't like, and finally am free:

I'm drinking the WenShan that RedBlossom finally restocked. I, um, bought enough to see me through till next Spring.
Last edited by Tadpole on Jul 10th, '08, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 19:56

by Geekgirl » Jul 10th, '08, 19:56

Tadpole wrote:

oooooh yes, I've been eyeing that one, but I'm afraid if I make one more purchase this month my debit card will melt into a little puddle of goo. PLEASE make a full report on this set so I can go on experiencing the jealousies.

Jul 10th, '08, 20:05

by Tadpole » Jul 10th, '08, 20:05

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Tadpole wrote:

oooooh yes, I've been eyeing that one, but I'm afraid if I make one more purchase this month my debit card will melt into a little puddle of goo. PLEASE make a full report on this set so I can go on experiencing the jealousies.

I certainly will! I suppose I should brew a tea of the day in it and post it as artistically as I can like the other tea crazies here. You guys get fresh flowers daily for this???!! *eyes neighbors potted daisies*

Jul 10th, '08, 20:48

by henley » Jul 10th, '08, 20:48

After a busy day, I'm ready to settle in for the night w/a nice cuppa orange oolong #40. We're on a buying trip for our store & I spent part of the afternoon going thru the trade show directory scoping out the tea vendors. Will check them out tmrw. Hope to come back w/lots of yummy samples! :D

Jul 10th, '08, 21:53

by Katrina » Jul 10th, '08, 21:53

witches brew wrote:Glass doesn't do it for me, because the color of the table and background influence the look of the tea.
Katrina wrote:Funny you said that. Earlier I took a pic of one of my tea brewing adventures using a glass teapot. I put it in front of a blue backdrop and it ended up looking like the tea was blue. Not a good look!
Chip wrote:Blue tea...isn't that oolong??? :lol:
Jeesh, Chip, can you think about anything but oolong? 8)

I realized today that I am just resistant to being forced into things. All those days that Chip has been trying desperately to get us to forsake our oolong for green, I drank oolong almost every day with some blacks thrown in. Today, he stopped mentioning greens and I started the day with Green Anji and then just had Genmaicha with a friend. I guess I'm just stubborn.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 10th, '08, 22:16

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 22:16

Katrina wrote:
Chip wrote:Blue tea...isn't that oolong??? :lol:
Oy, I am stuck at work and started a new pot of Baozhong to keep me awake.
It's going to be a long night I fear! Longer still if I don't stay off here.
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 10th, '08, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 22:18

by RussianSoul » Jul 10th, '08, 22:18

Victoria wrote:Oy, I am stuck at work and started a new pot of Baozhong to keep me awake.
It's going to be a long night I fear!
(((Victoria)))

Jul 10th, '08, 23:05

by cane » Jul 10th, '08, 23:05

I voted for texture/material, Although none of the choices are extremely important to me, as long as the contents taste good!

Earlier today at the office I had a sample of a taiwanese green oolong, very tasty, sort of a light TKY. A little floral but not overpowering and not sweet at all. Brewed up numerous infusions to make it through the work day.

Jul 10th, '08, 23:07

by horsencl » Jul 10th, '08, 23:07

Today I'm drinking Rishi Maghreb Mint Green Tea. It's ok but not exactly my cuppa. I'm not very picky about tea cups. Pretty much if it can hold liquid and handle hot temps then I use it :) My cups from Zarafina have served me quite well. They're just plain off white with black rims.

Jul 10th, '08, 23:10

by tenuki » Jul 10th, '08, 23:10

RussianSoul wrote: Today I lost my YiXing virginity. I brewed my oolongs in the YiXings that came with the box for the first time. I like them, I think I will getting me a couple.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 10th, '08, 23:11

by tenuki » Jul 10th, '08, 23:11

cane wrote: Image
Sweet! thanks for the pics. I love your white electric kettle (??) in the background of that first pic.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )