Fanatical Friday and TeaDay 7/11/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How FANATICAL are you about the water you use to brew tea?

Extremely...I do all the research, test my water, read the studies
5%
Pretty fanatic...I wil go pretty far to get the best water for my tea
14%
I think fanatic...
20%
*turns on faucet, fills kettle, brews tea* Need I say more
56%
Other
5%

Total votes: 59

Jul 11th, '08, 10:40

by geeber1 » Jul 11th, '08, 10:40

Our water comes from a well, and it tastes great, so I said turns on faucet, etc.

This morning a combo of Assam Melody and Ceylon Sonata.

Jul 11th, '08, 10:42

by michaelskar » Jul 11th, '08, 10:42

I'm not too picky about the water...if I'm brewing for my wife, though, it's filtered brita water-pitcher water.

Now I am enjoying the second steeping of "Fine Ti Kuan Yin " oolong from specialteas.

Jul 11th, '08, 10:47

by TimeforTea » Jul 11th, '08, 10:47

As long as I am using filtered water, I am happy.

This morning I enjoyed oolong #40.

Jul 11th, '08, 10:51

by xine » Jul 11th, '08, 10:51

chose 'other'...I use the tap when i'm making boiling teas usually, but most often I use filtered water. My house has this filtration system of sorts. Osmosis and what nots.

No tea just yet...but our buddy Chris from Tavalon just sent us some teas to check out. AND tea gummy bears (which I'm a bit more excited about).

:D happy friday everyone!

Jul 11th, '08, 10:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 11th, '08, 10:51

bi lew chun wrote:From my Ali Shan Traditional session (thanks Vic!):

Wow, this is a lovely picture, and with my favorite tea. Thank you!

But in my cup this morning is some Nilgiri brewed a little extra strong after working a 13.5 hour day yesterday, getting 5 hours sleep and facing another 10 hours today. Sound like fun? Ummm yeah.

If you don't hear from me later today, I fell face first into my 15 oz Bodum cup and drowned.

Death by tea, maybe not such a bad way to go.

Jul 11th, '08, 11:48

by augie » Jul 11th, '08, 11:48

Fanatical about water -- I don't test it per se. However, I can taste tap water in restaurant coffee/tea. The problem is once you start on bottled water there is no going back, you're hooked. It's a good thing!

TGIF I am ready to go home and take the edge off and it's not even noon here!

Jul 11th, '08, 12:05

by Space Samurai » Jul 11th, '08, 12:05

I use bottled Ozarka water for my tea, but Mary's protests against bottled water has had its effect on me, so even though I recycle my bottles and they come from a local spring, I will be buying a Brita pitcher in the near future. Fort Worth water is not good for making tea.

Jul 11th, '08, 12:21

by cane » Jul 11th, '08, 12:21

I use a brita filter on my tap water. Nothing too crazy, sometimes when I am on vacation I will use bottled water because the hotel water will often times be beyond help.

Drinking a Midori Shincha from O-cha today at the office. Very refreshing, I think I feel more awake and healthier after drinking it. I have never been a huge sencha fan, but I think brewing this at lower temps and much shorter times has showed me that I can also enjoy the japanese greens!

Jul 11th, '08, 12:44

by elchai » Jul 11th, '08, 12:44

I use tap water. We have a well, and it is nice clean water.

Today, I had Masala Chai with honey this morning, again! I'm feeling the need for a switch. My Masala Chai is almost gone anyway, so I am about to have something different now...

Jul 11th, '08, 13:59

by Beidao » Jul 11th, '08, 13:59

I have very good tap water so I use it. I don't buy botteled water at all because of the environment.

Have only had one cup of tea today and that was Yunnan FOP. Thinking about what to drink now. Have had an infernal cold for a week and haven't been able to appreciate tea :( Why gaiwan-brew Feng Huang Dan Cong Mi Lan Xiang if you can't taste it?? Now I hope I'm better, but I hardly dare to try...
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jul 11th, '08, 14:01

by insanitylater » Jul 11th, '08, 14:01

brita filtered water for me. i've tried using bottled water a couple of times but i don't think i noticed much of a difference. if i found it improved the tea better i'd probably use it

changtai banna shu this morning

Jul 11th, '08, 14:14

by witches brew » Jul 11th, '08, 14:14

I'm not fanatic, but I do use a Britta filter on occasion. Sometimes there is a whiff of chlorine in the tap water, sometimes not.

Today's cup has Makaibari Estates Darjeeling, first flush. Made with filtered water.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jul 11th, '08, 14:24

by Katrina » Jul 11th, '08, 14:24

Tap water here. I'm pretty happy with our tap water and the town is really good about giving us mucho info. on the water here. It's all drawn from wells in town. Slightly hard, but generally pretty excellent water. I don't want to get on the bottled water bandwagon for tea because of the expense and I hate to be encouraging the use of all those extra plastic bottles. I think I became less enamored with bottled water too after I found out a certain bottled water beginning with the letter "A" is filtered tap water from a town very close to us.

No tea yet today, just an iced coffee. (Don't throw me off. I'll have tea soon!!!)
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 11th, '08, 14:42

by Ti » Jul 11th, '08, 14:42

Jack_teachat wrote:
I get my tea water from a spring that is located near the top of a mountain with nothing above it but forest.
Jealous somewhat! :wink:

I use Brita filtered tap water and also make ice from the same water for cold brewing. The tapwater in my area of the UK is far too hard for sencha brewing.

No tea as of yet today but will probably have some more Uji Gyokuro Kame Giru-shi later. I've been enjoying it quite a bit this week as I bought it to celebrate getting married last Saturday (one reason why I haven't posted much this week!)
My wife isn't a tea drinker, oh well more for me I guess! :D
I used to have a water filter until I moved to where I'm at now. Clean water that trickles from a pristine mountaintop is somewhat of a luxury that I cherish as much as anything I 'possess'. I not only use it for tea but I use it for consumption in general. About the only thing I do with the corporate water is wash clothes and flush the toilet.

Enjoying some golden needle now. This is the second time I've had this and I can see myself stocking up on this stuff.

Jul 11th, '08, 15:01

by Ladytiger » Jul 11th, '08, 15:01

My water is well water so I'm not to picky with it.

So we put my cat to peace to day. She was a good kitty that lastest 12 years. RIP my sunny little Valentine.