Fanatical Sunday and TeaDay 7/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaPots, are you fanatical about matching your teapot to each tea?

Definitely fanatical!!! I match each tea to a most appropriate teapot
7%
Pretty fanatical, matching teapots to most teas
17%
I guess so, I do frequently match a particular teapot to a tea
19%
No, don't think so, I try not to fuss about it
33%
Your kidding me right, NOOOOOOOOOO, let's not complicate this
24%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jul 13th, '08, 11:38

by hop_goblin » Jul 13th, '08, 11:38

Chip wrote:Side poll...is it Ronald, yes or no? I say YES...even the hair is Ronald Reagan, jet black, and of course never dyed.
HAHAH That's a good interpretation Chip! Does look like Ronny

Jul 13th, '08, 11:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '08, 11:40

Not so much at this time of relatively few pots, but I can see myself headed there. But then again maybe not.

Nilgiri in my cup this morning.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Jul 13th, '08, 12:14

by neowolf » Jul 13th, '08, 12:14

Definitely not something I'm gonna worry about until I start using clay pots for each type of Japanese green....

Currently drinking an iced blend of blood orange, lemongrass, and chamomile!

Jul 13th, '08, 12:26

by olivierco » Jul 13th, '08, 12:26

Dong Ding this afternoon.
Asa Giri Gyokuro is scheduled after dinner.

Jul 13th, '08, 12:53

Re: Kenya, the Millma Estate

by chamekke » Jul 13th, '08, 12:53

Salsero wrote:The tea is from Kenya. The bust from Tanzania. It has been said that the bust is actually Ronald Reagan, but I have my doubts.
Ronald Reagan out of Howdy Doody, perhaps...

P.S. Here's the Japanese version - Haori Doody:

Last edited by chamekke on Jul 13th, '08, 13:18, edited 3 times in total.

Jul 13th, '08, 13:08

by Chip » Jul 13th, '08, 13:08

From Friday's TeaDay...
Yes, CONGRATS JACK on your nupTEAals!!!
Jack_teachat wrote:I'm so sorry about the multiple posts. Stupid phone! Please could the mods delete all but one of them.
I was beginning to wonder in your very new marriage had pushed you over the edge... :lol: I think that was a new record for multible posts of the same exact post.

I pick a most appropriate pot before each brewing, but this does not mean I have a pot for specific teas per se, just particular about what gets brewed where. For instance, I brew super high quality gyokuro is brewed in a tiny 2 ounce pot...kyusu design. I would never brew it in a BIG pot. But I like variety in pots as much as I like variety in tea.

This morning, Adagio Keemun Concerto. Currently wrapping up a 5th steep of O-Cha Hatsumi...this was really kicking this morning.

I suspect a nap is on the agenda for today. All this tea, and I could still crash for a couple hours.
Last edited by Chip on Jul 13th, '08, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 13th, '08, 13:09

by chamekke » Jul 13th, '08, 13:09

I have two Tokoname kyuusu that are entirely devoted to Japanese greens. Most other teas end up in one of my porcelain kyuusu. (I've brewed oolong in my little second-hand yixing pots, but am now feeling a bit scared of continuing to do that, so... maybe it's time to get a gaiwan.)

Come to think of it, there's one porcelain kyuusu I still haven't photographed for the Great Teawares Thread. Maybe I'll hold off on posting it until we've solved the taxonomy question...

In my cup: yer basic PG Tips as brewed by my loving husband. It's leaving brown rings on the inside of the mug (Denby) as I work my way down. It's like looking at tree rings. Tea rings?

Jul 13th, '08, 13:27

by joelbct » Jul 13th, '08, 13:27

chamekke wrote:I have two Tokoname kyuusu that are entirely devoted to Japanese greens.

I too brew my Sencha/Shincha in Japanese-only Kyusu, and have 4 sencha-only teacups (yunomi). And matcha in Chawan of course.

But all my (equally beloved) Black Tea just goes in my Glass Bodum.

Currently drinking Golden Buddha Fujian Red and enjoying a lovely day off.

Jul 13th, '08, 15:03

by Chip » Jul 13th, '08, 15:03

SST...Shincha Sencha Traditional a la Hibiki-an

...brewed in a slightly smaller kyusu

...perfect for this asamushi sencha.

Jul 13th, '08, 15:23

by Zodduska » Jul 13th, '08, 15:23

I took the first option because I try each tea with each brewing vessel until I find the best result, which is pretty easy because I only have three brewing vessels so far.

Jul 13th, '08, 18:06

by Chip » Jul 13th, '08, 18:06

:shock: nobody drinking tea on Sundays?

I am drinking Wenshan Baozhong, 3rd steep. This is probably my fave non Japanese tea. And likely my fave (GREEN) oolong.

I think this could just as easlily be brewed English or semi gong fu or gong fu with stellar results. I just can't brew this incorrectly.

Anyone on the oolong box pass, disregard this post, and don't bother trying the Wenshan...I am number 9! :twisted:

Jul 13th, '08, 18:29

by RussianSoul » Jul 13th, '08, 18:29

HA!

I am drinking Ali Shan High Mountain Golden Lily (Alishan Hochland Jinshuan Oolong) from TeaHome. It is beautiful! :twisted:

Jul 13th, '08, 18:34

by kymidwife » Jul 13th, '08, 18:34

I haven't posted about what's in my cup because I've been busy visiting with Auggy here in Dallas! She was sweet enough to drive over to the mall and meet me in front of Teavana so we could see each other face to face. We sniffed teas, traded some teas we'd brought along, talked about teas, bought some teas, bought some teacups...

And just to allow for a bit of variety, we talked quite a bit about Harry Potter and looked at my Portus pictures. Yes, she saw my Deatheater costume!

So now, in my cup, is some Tung Ting Jade from SpecialTeas... very delicious, and filling that empty place in my heart when I ran out of TKY on this trip. 2nd infusion is forthcoming.

Thanks, Auggy... was great to spend time with you! Hope kitty is doing better.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 13th, '08, 19:20

by bi lew chun » Jul 13th, '08, 19:20

I've got three clay teapots. I figure I'll buy pots as I need them for teas that don't love porcelain and might affect the taste of teas that already have an assigned pot. Or something.

Jul 13th, '08, 19:26

by Proinsias » Jul 13th, '08, 19:26

Chip wrote:For instance, I brew super high quality gyokuro is brewed in a tiny 2 ounce pot...kyusu design.
Pics please, and advice on where one would obtain such a delight wouldn't go amiss. I'm used to brewing in small quantities and my kyusu being maybe 400ml makes my brain hurt. It's only at times like these I can see why some people reach for timers.

As for matching teas:

Assorted yixing for:

Wuyi
Oldish Sheng
Newish Sheng
Shu
Qimen
Dang Cong
and a larger, possibly not yixing, for Darjeelingish teas.

A kyusu for most green stuff from Japan

A chawan for....... you'll have to guess.

The rest of the gaiwan and pots are anything goes.

I went with pretty fanatical as that is how it comes across if I try to explain to pretty much anyone in meatspace.