Tuesday TeaDay 7/22/08 "YowCha!"

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

YowCha, this one might hurt a little. What percentage of your acquisitions over the last year are you actually using?

100% and proud of it!
18%
More than 90%
31%
More than 80%
10%
More than 70%
8%
More than 60%
6%
More than 50%
14%
More than 40%
2%
More than 30%
10%
More than 20%
No votes
More than 10%
2%

Total votes: 51

Jul 22nd, '08, 18:44

by geeber1 » Jul 22nd, '08, 18:44

GeekGirl, I love that cup, the flowers look like Bachelor's Buttons. When I was taking photography in college, I went through a liquid phase. The thing I was fascinated with were oil stains on wet pavement, the colors are so pretty. I guess that's not really liquid, but what was liquid at one time.

I voted 100%, mostly because I don't have much stuff yet.

This morning I brought some Adagio Ginger Peach to work with me. It's really good iced, not sure I like it that much hot.

Jul 22nd, '08, 19:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '08, 19:27

Mmmmmmm nothing like breaking out the good stuff when you want to lift your spirits,
in my cup this afternoon Long Juan Oolong - sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

More new cups?? Yes Victoria is out of control with her cup buying!
(Speaking in third person is not a good sign either)
But are these cool or what???

Jul 22nd, '08, 19:28

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '08, 19:28

WOW...really nice, Victoria!!!

Hankook Korean steamed tea sample from the Expo.

"Gamnong," harvested right before and after Gokwoo (a special Spring rain, April 20, 21). OK...this is basically Korean steamed tea like Japanese sencha I believe. Its appearance is like sencha. The taste is like a light steamed/asamushi.

The first steep was flavorful and different. Pretty smooth. Vegetal. Second steep is lacking the robust flavor of a good sencha second steep...lighter in every respect.

I have little more info on it at this point since their English site has not been up since the Expo, but it is not cheap. A 50 gram tin would likely retail for around 30 USD. I am trying to figure what would justify this price point. A 100 gram tim would be 50-60 USD. The tins are very nice, much like a seemless, premium Japanese tin.

The tea is nice, but it is not that overly compelling with my first impression.
Last edited by Chip on Jul 22nd, '08, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 22nd, '08, 19:28

by Salsero » Jul 22nd, '08, 19:28

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I've become interested in the way liquid photographs, particularly condensation. Today's photo.. .
Nice,GGU. I've been trying to figure ways to enhance the appearance of the liquid in the cup -- generally using photoshop. Making one side of the brew darker than the other seems to help, and putting a little star or catchlight on the surface seems also to work sometimes, as do reflections in the surface as well as increased contrast across the surface of the liquid.

I haven't done anything with the water droplets. How do you get them to form?

I managed to capture a couple of twelve-foot-high fou dogs today. My travels are turning more exotic than one might have expected initially.

Jul 22nd, '08, 20:50

by Geekgirl » Jul 22nd, '08, 20:50

Thanks Geeber!
Salsero wrote:I haven't done anything with the water droplets. How do you get them to form?
I don't warm the cups! Hehe. Seriously, I get my tray and camera set up before I pour my tea, then I don't pre-warm the cups. I had been doing it this way anyways, so I could take a shot or two before I really got into drinking the tea. I found that if I start the tea drinking, I forget to get a good shot before I mess up the tea table. :)

I never pre-warm my cups because I don't like things to be very hot. (Weather either, I start hiding indoors at about 80-85deg.) When I drank coffee, I'd always have the coffee shop put some ice in the cup before handing it to me, and prefer my "hot" temperature around 130deg. So having a cool cup lowers the tea temp about 15-20 deg immediately, making it drinkable for me.

I started noticing about a week ago that there was steam condensation on my cups right after pouring. I'm sure that's why. It occurred to me that the condensation itself was visually interesting.

Hadn't thought of photoshopping to give more depth/dimension to the liquid surface. I'm not that handy with photoshop though. (blah blah blah. :lol: )
I managed to capture a couple of twelve-foot-high fou dogs today. My travels are turning more exotic than one might have expected initially.
Can't wait to see the photos, hope you'll share them.

Victoria, I'm loving the new out of control cup buying. Both because the cups are lovely to see, and because it makes me feel less guilty about my spree(s). BTW, did you also buy the black/white teabowl from Fred? I'm so sad about not picking that one up, I should ask him to make another. :) ah, regrets! :roll: :lol:

Jul 22nd, '08, 21:30

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '08, 21:30

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Victoria, I'm loving the new out of control cup buying. Both because the cups are lovely to see, and because it makes me feel less guilty about my spree(s). BTW, did you also buy the black/white teabowl from Fred? I'm so sad about not picking that one up, I should ask him to make another. :) ah, regrets! :roll: :lol:
No I did not buy the black and white one from Fred. But he has been very busy at the wheel, apparently I've inspired him to make a new batch as well as a lily style. So I'm anxious to see what's next. I also requested some smaller sizes on your behalf. :?

By the way, I don't like super hot tea or coffee either. I don't see how people drink it like that.

Finishing up a 2 steep of my Long Juan in a Fred cup!

Jul 22nd, '08, 21:56

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '08, 21:56

LOL...my parents drank their coffee black and HOT...I never liked either.

Heirloom TeaPlant Flowers currently to finish up the day. This is best a little cooler IMHO.

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:10

by auggy » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:10

Chip wrote:Sorry to hear about the continuing kittie problems, Auggy! I don't want to say this, but I have been very fortunate pet wise. Never a problem except extreme old age.
I actually think old age is what is ultimately going on here. But she's my baby (well, they all are, but her more so) so I'm going to continue to fight the "But I'm mashing up the kibble and giving you extra gravy, please won't you eat" fight.
Pentox wrote:Maybe your kitty is just emo.
*snort* Well, she is almost 17 so maybe she's just hitting that difficult teenage rebellion time. But if she starts doing the emo bang thing, I'm shaving her again! :lol:

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:15

by Geekgirl » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:15

Victoria wrote:No I did not buy the black and white one from Fred. But he has been very busy at the wheel, apparently I've inspired him to make a new batch as well as a lily style. So I'm anxious to see what's next. I also requested some smaller sizes on your behalf. :?
LOL. ruh roh. Actually, I've been checking his shop 2-3x/day to see if he's added anything. A little obsessive do you think?

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:25

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:25

I have one teapot that is not in use yet. Some how I managed to get good use out of all my other tea stuffs purchased in the past year.

Today was White Peach and now I am finishing up the last steepings of some 2008 Nan Tou.

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:28

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:28

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Victoria wrote:No I did not buy the black and white one from Fred. But he has been very busy at the wheel, apparently I've inspired him to make a new batch as well as a lily style. So I'm anxious to see what's next. I also requested some smaller sizes on your behalf. :?
LOL. ruh roh. Actually, I've been checking his shop 2-3x/day to see if he's added anything. A little obsessive do you think?
Ummm slightly? Of course I'm not the best person to ask.
:lol:

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:30

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:30

I was surprised to see this evening, I got 5 kyusu over the last year. They were desperately needed and are all in use regularly for different teas...though all Japanese greens.

This Hatsumi is unbelievably good cold brewed!!! Now I am out. Today was my first crack at it as cold brewed. Hate when that happens.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:31

by Chip » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:31

Victoria wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Ummm slightly? Of course I'm not the best person to ask.
:lol:
You two are great for the domestic artisan economy...keep up the good work. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 22nd, '08, 22:39

by Geekgirl » Jul 22nd, '08, 22:39

Chip wrote:
LOL! speaking of, I picked up a gorgeous chawan bowl last night on Etsy. My first! Now all I have to do is get some matcha that is better than the last one I had. :shock:

Jul 22nd, '08, 23:16

by Victoria » Jul 22nd, '08, 23:16

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Chip wrote:
LOL! speaking of, I picked up a gorgeous chawan bowl last night on Etsy. My first! Now all I have to do is get some matcha that is better than the last one I had. :shock:
Go for the good stuff: O-Cha Uji Matcha Manten