Friday TeaRoom 7/25/08 Favorite book/movie combo?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Sit around the TeaTable in our TeaRoom and discuss. My favorite book made into movie combo?

The movie hit a bullseye and/or was great
26%
The movie was very good and/or pretty much on target
20%
The movie was ok
11%
The movie was not so good and/or failed to hit the target
17%
The movie was a complete flop
6%
Other
20%

Total votes: 35

Jul 25th, '08, 12:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 25th, '08, 12:04

Adagio Golden Monkey this morning...very nice morning brew to start the day.

Currently, steep 4 of O-Cha's Yutaka Midori Shincha...still cannot believe how good this stuff is this year. But don't buy it, please. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 25th, '08, 12:32

by Victoria » Jul 25th, '08, 12:32

Chip wrote:Currently, steep 4 of O-Cha's Yutaka Midori Shincha...still cannot believe how good this stuff is this year. But don't buy it, please. :D
OK
:wink:

In my cup this morning Glenburn Estate Darjeeling -
I'm quite taken with this one.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Jul 25th, '08, 12:35

by auggy » Jul 25th, '08, 12:35

Katrina wrote:Any opinions on "The Kite Runner." I was pretty disappointed with the movie. Curious what others thought.
I'll admit, I read the book but it was a miss for me. So I have had no desire to watch the movie.

Jul 25th, '08, 12:51

by Geekgirl » Jul 25th, '08, 12:51

DUNE!

I love Dune, have read all of them (even Brian Herbert's additions, which were mostly quite good.) The Sci-Fi adaptation was fantastic I thought (once I got over Paul Atreides being BLOND!), although throwing that statement out in the middle of a bunch of nerds is enough to spark intergalactic wars. The David Lynch version... I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I think I loved it, and sometimes I think it was awful. Although Sting as Feyd Rautha... *swoons*

Do comics count? Because I though the new Dark Knight was an excellent adaptation, as was Ironman. Now if the movie people can manage not to mess up Watchmen...

(Why yes, there is tape on my glasses. Why do you ask?)

Jul 25th, '08, 12:52

by Geekgirl » Jul 25th, '08, 12:52

olivierco, erm... Salsero! wrote: Image
Fantastic shot! Beautiful cup.

Jul 25th, '08, 13:30

by michaelskar » Jul 25th, '08, 13:30

Hard to think of one of the top of my head...most movie versions have not come close to the book. The LOTR series is pretty close, but the books were still so much better.

Perhaps Charlie and the Chocolate factory remade as Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory (the original, not that horrendous modern version) comes the closest. Could be because Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay for the movie himself...so the changes made (and there were many) were not only author approved, but author written.

I am enjoying a few cups of Rishi's Iron Goddess of mercy oolong today.

Jul 25th, '08, 13:51

by Beidao » Jul 25th, '08, 13:51

I'll never get over Ivory-Merchants Maurice and it was far better than the book. The Hours is a great movie and great book :P Captain Corelli's Mandoline is a good book that became an AWFUL film *shrugs*

Have had Yunnan FOP at work today. Now sipping on TGY. Think I will wait with my major tea order until tomorrow, because it's so fun to plan it :lol:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jul 25th, '08, 13:58

by Katrina » Jul 25th, '08, 13:58

Beidao wrote:Captain Corelli's Mandoline is a good book that became an AWFUL film *shrugs*
For me most movies with Nicholas Cage fall in that category.

Let the flaming begin....
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 25th, '08, 14:02

by Ti » Jul 25th, '08, 14:02

I refuse to watch a movie that is based on a book esp if it's a classic. Reading a book is a personal experience. With a book you create the imagery in your head, but after watching the movie about the book, your imagery is forever replaced by the imagery in the movie and the book is no longer your own. With a movie, everyone sees the exact same thing. Movies ruin books.

Today is my first day with matcha. So I'm drinking MAT-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA!

Jul 25th, '08, 14:11

by henley » Jul 25th, '08, 14:11

michaelskar wrote:Perhaps Charlie and the Chocolate factory remade as Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory (the original, not that horrendous modern version) comes the closest.
This is one of my all time favorite movies! :D Sad to say, I've never read the book. Will have to add that one to my reading list.

Ohhh, have I found something yummy!!! Started going thru the oolong box last night & taking samples of what I want to try. This has never happened before but there was one tea that I knew right away I would like. Even made a special label for the bag so I would remember which one it was. So w/lunch I had the Wuyi Shui Xian from NCTG. I like this one a lot!!! Will have to research more about this tea but I see it coming to my house. If you like black tea/dark oolongs, make sure you try this one!
Clickable

Jul 25th, '08, 14:13

by michaelskar » Jul 25th, '08, 14:13

today I am drinking an oolong tea...i posted before about the specific tea I was drinking and a movie/book I liked and received a notification that I used spam. So I'll leave my future posts to the general type of tea I'm drinking.

Jul 25th, '08, 14:17

by Victoria » Jul 25th, '08, 14:17

henley wrote: Ohhh, have I found something yummy!!! Started going thru the oolong box last night & taking samples of what I want to try. This has never happened before but there was one tea that I knew right away I would like. Even made a special label for the bag so I would remember which one it was. So w/lunch I had the Wuyi Shui Xian from NCTG. I like this one a lot!!! Will have to research more about this tea but I see it coming to my house. If you like black tea/dark oolongs, make sure you try this one!
Clickable
Nice pic and the tea looks yummy! That tea is from Tenuki, a tea shop near him, New Century Tea Gallery. Thay do have have an online site too. I took a sample, but haven't tried it yet!

Jul 25th, '08, 14:23

by Chip » Jul 25th, '08, 14:23

michaelskar wrote:today I am drinking an oolong tea...i posted before about the specific tea I was drinking and a movie/book I liked and received a notification that I used spam. So I'll leave my future posts to the general type of tea I'm drinking.
Michaelskar, this was likely due to your new status. Unfortunately, spammers are always newbies and one safeguard in place is to block potential spam from new members posts.

Sorry for the inconvenience! After one month and 5 posts (which you have) you will be good to go.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 25th, '08, 14:23

by Geekgirl » Jul 25th, '08, 14:23

Victoria wrote:a tea shop near him, New Century Tea Gallery.
Which I will be visiting in one week, YAY!

In my cup: Ice Oolong. Heh. I'm becoming a bit of a one-noter, but this tea is really good!

Bubba contemplates the meaning of tea. Conclusion: Yawn.

Jul 25th, '08, 14:25

by auggy » Jul 25th, '08, 14:25

Katrina wrote:
Beidao wrote:Captain Corelli's Mandoline is a good book that became an AWFUL film *shrugs*
For me most movies with Nicholas Cage fall in that category.

Let the flaming begin....
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels that way. He drives me nuts.