Thursday 7/31/08 Favorite tea for the month of July?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your favorite tea for the month of July was from ... ?

China
48%
Japan
25%
Taiwan
17%
India
8%
Ceylon
2%
Africa
No votes
Nepal
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 48

Jul 31st, '08, 12:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 31st, '08, 12:29

Japan first and Taiwan 2nd and China 3rd. Green oolong such as Wenshan Baozhong made a strong impression on me. Well, basically, no change to the order.

My absolute favorite was Yutaka Midori shincha sencha from O-Cha. I am drinking it right now. It is very full and rich tasting. This is a perenial fave of mine, but it slipped a little last harvest. Now it is back on top.

Jul 31st, '08, 12:33

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 12:33

Getting to the bottom of a Glendale Nilgiri sampler from Harney. These Nilgiri teas have a lot going for them. I've had several now and haven't found one that wasn't at least enjoyable.

Jul 31st, '08, 13:04

by themadhatter444 » Jul 31st, '08, 13:04

China! Pi Lo Chun. Yum!

Jul 31st, '08, 13:21

by henley » Jul 31st, '08, 13:21

My answer is surprisingly China. Wuyi oolongs & Golden Monkey were my new discoveries this month & current favorite teas.

Golden Monkey w/bfast this morning. At lunch today, played w/the pu sample from Geekgirl. In the cup is '98 cooked shu. Thanx for telling me about the 3rd & 4th steep otherwise I would've given up after the first 2! :lol: It was a nice change & glad I found a pu that's actually enjoyable.

{clickable}

Jul 31st, '08, 14:49

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 14:49

henley wrote: ...glad I found a pu that's actually enjoyable...
Clear the tracks and all aboard: Henley's ridin' that puerh express! wÖÖt! wÖÖt!

Nice photo too! That cooked pu leaf is tough to light.

Jul 31st, '08, 16:33

by Chip » Jul 31st, '08, 16:33

Moved on to a good asamushi...called Sencha Super Premium. Quite a lot to live up to. It is very good.

Hope to have either oolong or matcha in a bit.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 31st, '08, 16:49

by olivierco » Jul 31st, '08, 16:49

Darjeeling Risheehat SFTGFOP1 to end the day.

Jul 31st, '08, 16:59

by CynTEAa » Jul 31st, '08, 16:59

Henley, nice pic! That's a fine looking pu erh!

This was a light TeaDay for me. My second cup was the divine Nepal FF. I really needed it, too! Thanks, Himalayas!

:D

Jul 31st, '08, 17:09

by Chip » Jul 31st, '08, 17:09

CynTEAa wrote:Henley, nice pic! That's a fine looking pu erh!

This was a light TeaDay for me. My second cup was the divine Nepal FF. I really needed it, too! Thanks, Himalayas!
:D
I think it has been a light TeaDay for everyone. One of the most quiet days across the forum.

Must be the dog days of Summer?

Heading out soon for a bike ride, then I think some green oolong. I expect everyone to start drinking and posting!!! :lol:

Jul 31st, '08, 17:32

by RussianSoul » Jul 31st, '08, 17:32

My favorite tea this month was 2 year Baozhong from Stephane of TeaMasters that came to me via Oolong Box. I am ordering some of that for sure. It means Taiwan for the question of the day.

At the moment I have Golden Buddha from Red Blossom in my cup (another sample from Oolong Box). It is a dark oolong, and I didn't expect to taste anything special, because all dark oolongs I tried have tasted just OK or less to me. But Red Blossom surprised me again. I am not in love with this tea, but I certainly like it quite a lot. It is sweet and nicely roasted, and the first infusion made me think of burnt sugar crust on top of crème brûlée. It did not taste like a crème brûlée per se, just made me think of it. This sensation was gone in a second infusion.

Edited to Add: OMG! I went to Red Blossom website to check the price of the Golden Buddha, and they actually have words about crème brûlée in the description. OMG! I am so excited! Like I passed the test. Or did something right.
Last edited by RussianSoul on Jul 31st, '08, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 31st, '08, 17:44

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 17:44

RussianSoul wrote: My favorite tea this month was 2 year Baozhong ... I am ordering some of that for sure.
If you order some of the 'Subtropical Forest’ Baozhong be sure to get the Top Quality rather than the High Quality.

RussianSoul wrote: At the moment I have Golden Buddha from Red Blossom ... all dark oolongs I tried have tasted just OK or less to me. But Red Blossom surprised me again. I am not in love with this tea, but I certainly like it quite a lot.
I know a lot of people have been pretty happy with this one, but I was disappointed. I think you can probably do better yet and get a bigger smile from others, so hang in there. If you are ordering from Stéphane anyway, you might ask him for a sample of his Bai Hao (Oriental Beauty), a highly oxidized oolong, or one of his roasted oolongs.

Jul 31st, '08, 19:11

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 31st, '08, 19:11

Salsero wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: At the moment I have Golden Buddha from Red Blossom ... all dark oolongs I tried have tasted just OK or less to me. But Red Blossom surprised me again. I am not in love with this tea, but I certainly like it quite a lot.
I know a lot of people have been pretty happy with this one, but I was disappointed.
Glad I'm not the only one! A lot of people love it, but I can't seem to figure out what is so special.

Jul 31st, '08, 19:47

tea of the month

by jim109 » Jul 31st, '08, 19:47

I had to vote China as I have Yunnan Gold every AM. Having Premium Gyokuro Suimei now. Have finally discovered how to make a gyokuro well in the Ingenuitea!! Tried a few Oolongs, making progress!!

Jul 31st, '08, 19:51

by Salsero » Jul 31st, '08, 19:51

scruffmcgruff wrote: Glad I'm not the only one! A lot of people love it, but I can't seem to figure out what is so special.
Scruff, do you have any suggestions of things that R_S might enjoy in the dark direction? I was thinking of Da Ye from TeaCuppa ... Bai Ji Guan from TeaSpring ... but maybe those are too light. TGY from Just4Tea, maybe... Do you have any solid wuyi suggestions ... you've been drinking a lot of yan cha lately right?

Jul 31st, '08, 20:20

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 31st, '08, 20:20

Salsero wrote:
scruffmcgruff wrote: Glad I'm not the only one! A lot of people love it, but I can't seem to figure out what is so special.
Scruff, do you have any suggestions of things that R_S might enjoy in the dark direction? I was thinking of Da Ye from TeaCuppa ... Bai Ji Guan from TeaSpring ... but maybe those are too light. TGY from Just4Tea, maybe... Do you have any solid wuyi suggestions ... you've been drinking a lot of yan cha lately right?
Yes... I suppose I could contribute something helpful, if I must. :) I haven't tried the Da Ye, but ABx likes it and he hasn't given me a bad recommendation yet.

Jing Tea Shop has some great Wuyi teas; their Shui Jin Gui and Lao Cong Shui Xian are both solid teas with good flavor; not the most complex perhaps, but delicious nonetheless. They have a lot of other good ones too, but these are the two I recall off the top of my head as having really heavy and dark flavor. Good values too, IIRC.

Teacuppa has great Wuyi too-- their rou gui, da hong pao, tie luo han, and lao cong shui xian were all good, IMO. I was disappointed with their bei dou and shui jin gui, but everything else I've tried from them has been great.

Also, the aged baozhong from Red Blossom is yummy if you want something dark but a little different.

Hope this helps!