Friday TeaDay 8/01/08 Choice of an Indian region's tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

You are given a choice of an Indian region/Himalayan region tea, what do you choose?

Assam
36%
Ceylon
11%
Darjeeling
38%
Dooars
No votes
Nepal
No votes
Nilgiri
7%
Sikkim
No votes
Other
No votes
None
9%

Total votes: 45

Aug 1st, '08, 21:38

by joelbct » Aug 1st, '08, 21:38

RussianSoul wrote:Assam Marangi which is amazing and Assam Mokalbari which only a hair behind, if that.
Awesome, I'd never heard of Tea Gschwendner, will have to try that Marangi! Nice that they offer 50g packets...

Appears Assam and Darj are neck and neck, 15 votes apiece ;)

Aug 1st, '08, 21:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: new vices

by Geekgirl » Aug 1st, '08, 21:39

laran7 wrote: (If I consider it overnight its not an impulse buy , right?)..
Ha! Good reasoning, I like it. I totally impulse bought today, a whole matcha set-up at Uwajimaya... just so I could introduce my friends up here in Seattle to some good matcha. Ouch. Had buyer's remorse right after I walked out of the store, but then got back to their place, unwrapped it, and was glad I purchased. Lovely small teabowl, travel size chasen, delicious matcha.

Back to the teahouse tomorrow so my friend's other half can experience some good gongfu brewing. :)

Aug 1st, '08, 22:12

by chamekke » Aug 1st, '08, 22:12

Whenever I'm trying to decide whether the temptation in front of me will induce buyer's remorse vs. non-buyer's remorse, I play an imagination game.

I visualize myself leaving the store without buying the item, then coming back the next day to see if it's is still there. Then I imagine how I feel when I discover it's gone and there will be no more of them, ever. Do I shrug and leave? Do I feel a faint sense of relief, as in "Someone saved me from a purchase I didn't really need"? Or do I break down sobbing on the spot?

That usually gives me some kind of clue.

In my cup - nothing. Today was a migraine day, with the nausea that usually attends it; so the one cup of tea I did attempt (some humble PG Tips) came right back up again a few minutes later. Yeuch. Oh well, at least I didn't commit that indignity on a Japanese green, eh Chip?

Aug 1st, '08, 22:34

by RussianSoul » Aug 1st, '08, 22:34

chamekke wrote:In my cup - nothing. Today was a migraine day
My sympathies for your migraine, chamekke! All too familiar with them, I know what it was like. Image

Aug 2nd, '08, 00:41

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 00:41

RussianSoul wrote:
chamekke wrote:In my cup - nothing. Today was a migraine day
My sympathies for your migraine, chamekke! All too familiar with them, I know what it was like. Image
Yeh, mine too, but God help us, a little more masculine sentiment!

Aug 2nd, '08, 01:36

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 01:36

chamekke wrote: In my cup - nothing. Today was a migraine day, with the nausea that usually attends it; so the one cup of tea I did attempt (some humble PG Tips) came right back up again a few minutes later. Yeuch. Oh well, at least I didn't commit that indignity on a Japanese green, eh Chip?
Your wisdom is noted in this matter. I hope you are rewarded this weekend with delicious Japanese green teas.

I of course hope you are on the mend at this writing ... or your reading.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 2nd, '08, 08:37

by laran7 » Aug 2nd, '08, 08:37

"I visualize myself leaving the store without buying the item, then coming back the next day to see if it's is still there. Then I imagine how I feel when I discover it's gone and there will be no more of them, ever. Do I shrug and leave? Do I feel a faint sense of relief, as in "Someone saved me from a purchase I didn't really need"? Or do I break down sobbing on the spot?

That usually gives me some kind of clue." (Chamekke)

That is pretty much my reasoning method - a little on the emotional side - but I'm usually happy with what I purchase because I know I will find a way to use it.

" . . after I walked out of the store, but then got back to their place, unwrapped it, and was glad I purchased . ." (GeekgirlUnveiled)

I'm sure your friends appreciate such a thoughtful unusual gift.

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:09

by chamekke » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:09

Thank you to:

- RussianSoul for the sympathy and nice hug
- Salsero for his masculine sentiment
- Chip for his approval re: my choice of tea!

All much appreciated. I'm feeling better this morning. Time for a nice cuppa. Think I'll go for some Yunnan Gold; this morning's TeaChat topic + my tea craving = one suggestible chamekke!

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:23

by edkrueger » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:23

Two things:

1) Ceylon is not India or the in the Himalayas.

2) :( This isn't fair.how many here have even tried a Nilgiri? Most of you likers of bright Darjeelings will be convert upon trying a Nilgiri . I like Nonsuch estate.

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:30

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:30

edkrueger wrote:Two things:

1) Ceylon is not India or the in the Himalayas.

2) :( This isn't fair.how many here have even tried a Nilgiri? Most of you likers of bright Darjeelings will be convert upon trying a Nilgiri . I like Nonsuch estate.

Ed, please read the question..."Indian region." Ceylon/Sri Lanka is off the coast of India. This poll encompassed the whole region. :D

The poll and discussion is generally intended to also enlighten those who may not know of a tea region such as Nilgiri. It would have been "unfair" to not include it. This is your opportunity to enlighten others about Nilgiri if you would like to. Or start a topic under black tea. :idea:

Aug 2nd, '08, 13:00

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 13:00

chamekke wrote:Thank you to:

All much appreciated. I'm feeling better this morning. Time for a nice cuppa. Think I'll go for some Yunnan Gold; this morning's TeaChat topic + my tea craving = one suggestible chamekke!
Glad to hear you are on the mend! Since you are "suggestible," Japanese green next!!!

Aug 2nd, '08, 13:02

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 13:02

edkrueger wrote: how many here have even tried a Nilgiri? Most of you likers of bright Darjeelings will be convert upon trying a Nilgiri . I like Nonsuch estate.
I think Chip is right. You maybe should start a Nilgiri thread under Black Tea. I have had a couple lately and am becoming a believer, as are some others on the forum, but I don't know much about them. Never heard of Nonsuch Estate, for example. Where do you buy your Nilgiri?

Aug 2nd, '08, 13:11

by chamekke » Aug 2nd, '08, 13:11

Chip wrote:
chamekke wrote:Thank you to:

Glad to hear you are on the mend! Since you are "suggestible," Japanese green next!!!
I... must... obey...

By the way, Chip, I am still waiting for you to post this TeaDay poll:

What is your favorite type of tea overall?

o Japanese green
o Japanese green
o Japanese green
o Japanese green
o Japanese green

Aug 2nd, '08, 13:19

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 13:19

Chip's poll wrote:
  • o Japanese green
    o Japanese green
    o Japanese green
    o Japanese green
    o Japanese green
I'd have to say Japanese green.

Aug 2nd, '08, 13:27

by RussianSoul » Aug 2nd, '08, 13:27

edkrueger wrote:Most of you likers of bright Darjeelings will be convert upon trying a Nilgiri . I like Nonsuch estate.

I wonder if Nonsuch estate is a pun on "no such estate exists"? :wink: