Saturday TeaDay 8/02/08 Which Chinese province's tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Tougher question than most, but there is help in the topic intro. Which Chinese province's tea do you prefer?

Anhui
3%
Fujian
36%
Guangdong
No votes
Hubei
No votes
Hunan
No votes
Jiangsu
3%
Jiangxi
No votes
Szechuan
3%
Yunnan
44%
Zhejiang
No votes
Other
5%
None
8%

Total votes: 39

Aug 3rd, '08, 04:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 3rd, '08, 04:15

edkrueger wrote:1) Although Taiwan is not technically a province of China, it should probably be included.

2) Hunnan makes a tea brick similar to pu-erh, so for post-fermented tea Yunnan isn't the only choice.
Taiwan...another poll. Certainly not forgotten.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 3rd, '08, 04:17

Re: I Like Learning

by Chip » Aug 3rd, '08, 04:17

laran7 wrote:I looked up the oolongs I was drinking earlier this month -my first teas from Adagio - and voted for Fujian .

This was a geat question - I followed a link about Darjeelings yesterday - I will keep the printouts around for a while.

Thanks for the great questions and links, Chip -
You are very welcome and thanx for your comments. I am glad you have learned something, that was a goal. :D

Aug 3rd, '08, 11:10

by Beidao » Aug 3rd, '08, 11:10

Chip: Yeah, maybe. I've never had Bancha and haven't got any idea what it tastes like. In fact the only japanese teas I've had was an unspecified Sencha, several Genmaichas and a Fukamushi Shincha. So... much... left... to... taste :shock:

Sal and Chamekke: I got the pearls from a Swedish tea vendor, House of Tea. They are called Jasmin Tai Mu Long Zhu or "Dragon Eyes". It's green tea from Fuijan. It is a tip with two leaves, but the leaves are very young, almost like buds. The cost is 15 dollars for 70 grams. Here's a link with a picture, click on it, I like the look.

It tastes very much like cheaper Jasmine tea, but more forgiving, doesn't get as bitter. Bad thing is that it gives me a bit of pain if I drink to much :?
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 3rd, '08, 13:25

by chamekke » Aug 3rd, '08, 13:25

Beidao wrote:Sal and Chamekke: I got the pearls from a Swedish tea vendor, House of Tea. They are called Jasmin Tai Mu Long Zhu or "Dragon Eyes". It's green tea from Fuijan. It is a tip with two leaves, but the leaves are very young, almost like buds. The cost is 15 dollars for 70 grams. Here's a link with a picture, click on it, I like the look.

It tastes very much like cheaper Jasmine tea, but more forgiving, doesn't get as bitter. Bad thing is that it gives me a bit of pain if I drink to much :?
Thank you for your kind reply. Oddly, when I try to load that page, I get a blank page. Strange! I navigated to one level above, then clicked on the link, but the same thing happened.

Never mind, I'm not sure that House of Tea would be prepared to ship from Sweden to Canada :) I enjoyed your tea report in any case!

My question was prompted by the fact that I've just run out of the jasmine pearls I usually buy from Adagio. There's a local seller who offers something very close, so I went downtown yesterday to buy some more. I searched all over the shop, but could find no reference to jasmine pearls (or "Dragon Tears" as this seller calls them). When I gave up and asked a sales clerk, she said that they were out of them and weren't sure when they'd have more in - hence they'd removed the display in the meantime.

Tip to people who are thinking of opening a tea shop: I would have kept the Dragon Tears display up, with a sign saying that this popular tea was currently out of stock, and asking customers to leave their phone number so that they could be called when more is in. Why hide the fact that people love one of your teas? Why not make a virtue of it?

Aug 3rd, '08, 14:55

by Beidao » Aug 3rd, '08, 14:55

:lol:

Apparently, in the time between my post and your click on the link, they removed this product. Now if one click on the jasmine link in the side menu, the result is only the lesser quality. Guess I must have ordered the last!

And no, they don't sell to Canada...
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 3rd, '08, 14:57

by Chip » Aug 3rd, '08, 14:57

Beidao wrote:Chip: Yeah, maybe. I've never had Bancha and haven't got any idea what it tastes like. In fact the only japanese teas I've had was an unspecified Sencha, several Genmaichas and a Fukamushi Shincha. So... much... left... to... taste :shock:
Bancha is ok, til you are hooked on sencha or matcha. Then it seems to lack flavor, depth, and aroma. Bancha is best when it is roasted to create houjicha. I know some people who cold brew it though for iced tea.

Aug 4th, '08, 04:51

by olivierco » Aug 4th, '08, 04:51

Bancha is also good during meals.

Aug 4th, '08, 09:19

by CynTEAa » Aug 4th, '08, 09:19

henley wrote:Whew! I am too tired for this poll question. My brain is beyond functioning. Our store was awarded Best Antique/Gift Store by the local paper this week so we had Customer Appreciation today complete w/refreshments & door prizes. I've shopped & cooked all week getting ready for this. I'm very grateful for the award & thankful that we had a great day. :D However, I'm ready to prop my feet up w/a nice cuppa & crash for the evening! Haven't had Pouchong in a while. Think that shall be my tea of choice. Off to start the kettle!

Yay!!! Congrats to you and your hubby!! :)

Aug 4th, '08, 12:15

by Chip » Aug 4th, '08, 12:15

olivierco wrote:Bancha is also good during meals.
As in roasted, or green?

Like genmaicha (which is usually made from bancha as well), houjicha would stand up well to food. Green would just get lost on my palate.

Aug 4th, '08, 16:18

by olivierco » Aug 4th, '08, 16:18

Chip wrote:
As in roasted, or green?

Like genmaicha (which is usually made from bancha as well), houjicha would stand up well to food. Green would just get lost on my palate.
Green, roasted or genmaicha. Any kind of bancha goes well with food.

Aug 5th, '08, 01:55

by Chip » Aug 5th, '08, 01:55

olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote:
As in roasted, or green?

Green, roasted or genmaicha. Any kind of bancha goes well with food.
Well, no plans to hook up with any of the green stuff. I will have to take your word for it. Do you drink green bancha with food?

Aug 5th, '08, 04:48

by olivierco » Aug 5th, '08, 04:48

Chip wrote:
Well, no plans to hook up with any of the green stuff. I will have to take your word for it. Do you drink green bancha with food?
Yes, less frequently than houjicha though.