Saturday TeaDay 8/02/08 Which Chinese province's tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Tougher question than most, but there is help in the topic intro. Which Chinese province's tea do you prefer?

Anhui
3%
Fujian
36%
Guangdong
No votes
Hubei
No votes
Hunan
No votes
Jiangsu
3%
Jiangxi
No votes
Szechuan
3%
Yunnan
44%
Zhejiang
No votes
Other
5%
None
8%

Total votes: 39

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:46

I have had good tea from every region listed, I think. I am whittling down my list right now...Fujian for oolong, Anhui and Zhejiang for green, and Anhui for black. Yunnan by default for pu-erh.

Yutaka Midori, O-Cha, currently in my cup. Earlier, Anhui's Keemun Concerto from Adagio.

Actually, other provinces also produce "keemun" as well...I guess it is like the term Dong Ding for oolong, more denoting a style than a specific origin anymore. But Anhui is home of keemun in my books.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 2nd, '08, 12:53

by chamekke » Aug 2nd, '08, 12:53

augie wrote:14 y.o. bought "1984" by Geo. Orwell, despite my warnings.
For some reason, when I was a kid it was Brave New World that creeped me out. 1984, not so much. Perhaps soma seemed a likelier danger than Doublethink. Now...

In my cup: Yunnan Gold, in honour of today's poll.

Aug 2nd, '08, 14:55

by Beidao » Aug 2nd, '08, 14:55

Guangdong for their Dan Cong. Yunnan for Yunnan Gold and Pu. But I voted Yunnan.

Haven't had much time for tea today - it's been the Swedish Pride Parade - but afterwards I went to my friends house and had some green tea that was posh but she didn't knew the name and brewed it with boiling water. It was very forgivning and despite some bitterness very yummy, to bad I will never know what it was! Japanese I think, like Sencha but still not Sencha... aaargh :evil:

In my cup ftm: Jasmine Pearls. This if the fourth infusion, it's getting better and better. Not perfumy, just thick and warming and creamy and a little brothy. And of course floral but in a very heavy way, so heavy it's almost not floral anymore. Ehm, I'm afraid this doesn't make sense :roll:

Aug 2nd, '08, 15:21

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 15:21

Beidao wrote:Haven't had much time for tea today - it's been the Swedish Pride Parade - but afterwards I went to my friends house and had some green tea that was posh but she didn't knew the name and brewed it with boiling water. It was very forgivning and despite some bitterness very yummy, to bad I will never know what it was! Japanese I think, like Sencha but still not Sencha... aaargh :evil:

In my cup ftm: Jasmine Pearls. This if the fourth infusion, it's getting better and better. Not perfumy, just thick and warming and creamy and a little brothy. And of course floral but in a very heavy way, so heavy it's almost not floral anymore. Ehm, I'm afraid this doesn't make sense :roll:
I wonder if it was Yanagi or another form of bancha. They can often take boiling water and are somewhat forgiving.

Jasmine Pearls are wonderful when they are good, and disgusting when they are sprayed with Jasmine...sounds like you have the real deal.

Currently sipping a light steamed asamushicha. SSP, sencha super premo, still shincha.

I just found out I am going to Philly to see my friend Priscilla Ahn perform tonight. She is on tour. Priscilla Ahn I am excited to see her.

Aug 2nd, '08, 15:25

by neowolf » Aug 2nd, '08, 15:25

Yunnan for Yunnan gold, though I have no shame in admitting that my knowledge of the various regions still needs a lot of work. :(

Currently drinking a blend of jasmine and peach oolong, rather nice!

Aug 2nd, '08, 15:27

by chamekke » Aug 2nd, '08, 15:27

Chip wrote:
Beidao wrote:In my cup ftm: Jasmine Pearls. This if the fourth infusion, it's getting better and better. Not perfumy, just thick and warming and creamy and a little brothy. And of course floral but in a very heavy way, so heavy it's almost not floral anymore. Ehm, I'm afraid this doesn't make sense :roll:
Jasmine Pearls are wonderful when they are good, and disgusting when they are sprayed with Jasmine...sounds like you have the real deal.
Where did you obtain your Jasmine Pearls, Beidao? I'm interested... have never managed to sustain the tea I buy through four infusions.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 2nd, '08, 15:53

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 15:53

Beidao wrote:Not perfumy, just thick and warming and creamy and a little brothy. And of course floral but in a very heavy way, so heavy it's almost not floral anymore. Ehm, I'm afraid this doesn't make sense
It made a lot of sense to me. And apparently to several others because it sparked a lot of interest. I am also curious about where it comes from.

Aug 2nd, '08, 16:09

by Victoria » Aug 2nd, '08, 16:09

Chip wrote: I just found out I am going to Philly to see my friend Priscilla Ahn perform tonight. She is on tour. Priscilla Ahn I am excited to see her.
Congrats! I hope you have a great time!

I choose Fujian even though I've not had much Chinses TGY lately. And I really do love Yunnan Gold.

In my cup today the now famed TM Boazhong.
Just amazing. :)

Aug 2nd, '08, 16:26

by Chip » Aug 2nd, '08, 16:26

Victoria wrote:
Chip wrote: I just found out I am going to Philly to see my friend Priscilla Ahn perform tonight. She is on tour. Priscilla Ahn I am excited to see her.
Congrats! I hope you have a great time!

I choose Fujian even though I've not had much Chinses TGY lately. And I really do love Yunnan Gold.

In my cup today the now famed TM Boazhong.
Just amazing
. :)
Thanx! It will be emotional I think.

Jealous about the WenShan...not enough time to start a Baozhong now. Plus chugging down a liter of tea before heading to the "big city" could have dire travel results. :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 2nd, '08, 18:38

I Like Learning

by laran7 » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:38

I looked up the oolongs I was drinking earlier this month -my first teas from Adagio - and voted for Fujian .

This was a geat question - I followed a link about Darjeelings yesterday - I will keep the printouts around for a while.

Thanks for the great questions and links, Chip -

Aug 2nd, '08, 18:51

by edkrueger » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:51

1) Although Taiwan is not technically a province of China, it should probably be included.

2) Hunnan makes a tea brick similar to pu-erh, so for post-fermented tea Yunnan isn't the only choice.

Aug 2nd, '08, 19:59

by henley » Aug 2nd, '08, 19:59

Whew! I am too tired for this poll question. My brain is beyond functioning. Our store was awarded Best Antique/Gift Store by the local paper this week so we had Customer Appreciation today complete w/refreshments & door prizes. I've shopped & cooked all week getting ready for this. I'm very grateful for the award & thankful that we had a great day. :D However, I'm ready to prop my feet up w/a nice cuppa & crash for the evening! Haven't had Pouchong in a while. Think that shall be my tea of choice. Off to start the kettle!

Aug 2nd, '08, 20:08

by Salsero » Aug 2nd, '08, 20:08

henley wrote: Our store was awarded Best Antique/Gift Store by the local paper this week ... Haven't had Pouchong in a while.
Congrats, girl. Sounds like you've earned your Pouchong tonight! I have been infusing the same Pouchong leaves all day ... the damn stuff never dies.
edkrueger wrote:2) Hunnan makes a tea brick similar to pu-erh...
More info? Ever tried it? What's it called? Is it like the hei cha from Anhui and Guangxi? Cooked or raw ...

Aug 2nd, '08, 22:38

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:38

Fujian for me. I've liked the Wuyis that I have tried and haven't really tried too much else in the form of Chinese teas beyond the Yunnan Gold, which I did not like.

Today has been a slow, but productive tea day for me. I decided to start early on my organizing before I go back to college at the end of the month so my first step was cleaning out and reorganizing my three-drawer tea cart. I ended up with a decent sized bowl full of tea that was either really stale or tasted so bad that I wouldn't give it to anyone. The compost pile should be thrilled with my contribution. Through out the day, I've been working on a gaiwan of the 2008 Nan Tou. I think I am on at least the 7th steep or so.

Aug 2nd, '08, 23:33

by chrl42 » Aug 2nd, '08, 23:33

Definately Fujian.

North of Fujian comes Wuyi Yan Cha and Fuding Silver Needle.
Middle of Fujian comes wonderful Zheng He Silver Needle.
South of Fujian comes Tie Guan Yin..

It's just one region makes my heart throbbing.. :)