Tuesday TeaDay 8/12/08 Tea selection, how long?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How long does it take for you to pick out your next tea to drink on average?

A few seconds
42%
At least a minute
23%
Up to a few minutes
23%
Up to 10 minutes
No votes
Longer than 10 minutes
8%
Other
6%

Total votes: 53

Aug 12th, '08, 15:42

by henley » Aug 12th, '08, 15:42

CynTEAa wrote:The first cup of the day is the easiest. BUT after that it gets difficult with all the choices.
Same here! Mornings are the easiest--it's either a black or dark oolong. After that... let's just say more choices aren't always better. So definitely at least a minute.

WB - I can totally relate to the dialogue in your head except mine is:
Do I want something familiar or experiment?

If I drink something familiar, I know it will be good.

But if I don't experiment, I'll never know what else I might like.

But if I don't like it, I've wasted my time & will have to start all over.

But I would have never found my favorites if I hadn't tried something new.

Sometimes I really hate being over analytical! :evil: :lol:

Sal - Another great pic. Especially like the unusual flower.

Auggy & Chamekke - Will keep your friend/family in my prayers.

Been a busy day so no tea yet. Me, myself & I have decided on some Golden Monkey to remedy this situation.

Aug 12th, '08, 15:49

by auggy » Aug 12th, '08, 15:49

chamekke wrote:(I learned on Sunday afternoon that my uncle has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We are anxiously waiting to learn more about the staging. His doctor thinks it's not too widespread yet, but we won't know for sure until later.)
Chamekke, I hope your uncle is okay. Hopefully it will be an early stage.

I'm reading up on breast cancer now (knew next to nothing about it, now I know slightly more). And you know, some people have to make it since the 5-year survival rate is 16-20%. So there is no reason my friend won't be one of those. And that's what I'm gonna focus on.

Aug 12th, '08, 16:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 12th, '08, 16:06

Sorry Auggy & Chamekke - very sad news, sending prayer.

This afternoon's cup - my Fragrant Oolong from Birk Pick.
I will get through this bag this week!!
It's a nice everyday oolong.

Aug 12th, '08, 16:11

by Katrina » Aug 12th, '08, 16:11

Auggy and Chamekke - I am so sorry for your friend/family health challenges. Cancer has been much too much a part of our lives in this family, but I know the road is hard. I also know that there ARE good outcomes and you just need to focus on making sure to have laughter and joy in the midst of the struggle. Those are the moments you will cherish most. (And here's hoping there will be years and years and years of those joyful moments.)

I said "a few minutes" on this one. I often only get to have one tea in the course of the day so I want it to be the "perfect" one for my mood. I have far more open tins than I choose to count (you can see my stash on the Show of Your Tea thread), but they are inventoried and I always know what's on hand. It's like having a tea shop in my kitchen.

Today I tried a High Mountain Green TGY. Fantastic.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Aug 12th, '08, 16:14

by witches brew » Aug 12th, '08, 16:14

Chamekke and Auggy, I will keep your dear ones in my thoughts.

As for the darjeeling that has me (still) buzzed, it's Ito En's Makaibari Estate Crystal First Flush. Keep in mind that I am very sensitive to caffeine, so this might just be an ordinary strength darjeeling for anyone else. It's also nicely fruity, along the lines of plum and apricot. I got three good steeps from it, and would have gone for a fourth if I weren't so buzzed.

Aug 12th, '08, 17:33

by Chip » Aug 12th, '08, 17:33

Sorry to hear the news Auggy and Chamekke, but as was already said, be positive and supportive.

I am still trying to kind my groove with the Kunpu shincha from Den's. I may try less leaf next time.

Witchesbrew, I have caught caffeine buzzes off of Darjeeling as well. Not sure why.

Aug 12th, '08, 17:46

by Proinsias » Aug 12th, '08, 17:46

>10mins, usually. I don't stand and stare at my tea as I have a rough idea of what I own. There's normally a small bit of my brain searching for a tea that fits the situation, sometimes I'm going about my business around the house for hours until my brain stops everything as it has eventually decided a certain tea is required.

Auggy and Chamekke, thoughts are with you.

In my cup: some lapsang souchong, something better to follow soon.

Aug 12th, '08, 18:35

by CynTEAa » Aug 12th, '08, 18:35

jewelbug wrote:
auggy and chemekke--keeping both of you and your friends and family in my thoughts! I'm sorry.
Same here, my dears. :(

Had a full TeaDay. Yunnan Gold to start, then a very nice Nilgiri SFTGFOP sample. And then two lovely steepings of Sencha FF. Was quite a decisive day.

Now to figure out something for dinner. Green tea makes me hungry!

Aug 12th, '08, 18:41

by laran7 » Aug 12th, '08, 18:41

Auggy and Chamekke - adding my prayers and good wishes;
my brother's son was successfully operated on last year, now it will be a watching, monitoring situation until he's an adult. (He's 12 now)"They" have a lot more power in the arsenal against cancer than they used to - I wish you the best.

I bought a refridgerated, canned (Japanese) Sencha shot at the local health food store (I'm not in love with it - but I would drink it again if it were the last tea on earth) - and bought some Chinese Sencha at the store where I buy dried herbs. I would not have recognized or tried either on if it had not been for these posts and daily questions.

Aug 12th, '08, 19:03

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 19:03

laran7 wrote: ...I would drink it again if it were the last tea on earth...
*Salsero rushes out to buy a case of this special occasion tea*

Aug 12th, '08, 19:07

by laran7 » Aug 12th, '08, 19:07

[quote="Salsero]*Salsero rushes out to buy a case of this special occasion tea*[/i][/color][/quote]

Perhaps I overstated - "if I had to drink it and it was the last tea on earth I could probably force myself to swallow"

Better? :wink:

Aug 12th, '08, 19:19

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 12th, '08, 19:19

At least a minute for me, but most likely more. I am not a morning person so it tends to take the time of however long it takes me to get things ready enough to venture towards the kitchen to figure out what tea I want. Generally, it is choice between three teas (two blacks and an oolong) or if I am in the mood for something else. I try to rotate what I drink in the morning which makes the decision a little easier. The rest of the day is generally characterized by what I am in the mood for which is a spontaneous decision, or what I know I should finish up, which occurs as soon as I pick the more favorite of the sample tins.

Today, I was in the mood for something other than a black or an oolong to start my day with so I went with some Casablanca Twist. I am still hording what I have left of that stash to last me until Adagio eventually comes out with the new batch. I haven't had anything else yet, but that will change soon.

Aug 12th, '08, 19:55

by Zodduska » Aug 12th, '08, 19:55

A couple seconds usually, sometimes I think I want to drink sencha and end up changing my mind a few minuites later though. :lol: ..mainly due to the fact that my zoji takes a long time to cool to 175 and that my only sencha, fukamushi sencha supreme, is a few months old now. :cry: My favorite japanese teaware is becoming most neglected.. I need new sencha.

I did get some new OOOOOOoolong though! Oh my god, 2008 Spring Li-Shan "Da Yu Ling" from Hou De.. I wish it wasn't so expensive because it is by far the best high mountain oolong I've tried and it has KO'd teamasters "2 year old tree" Baozhong as my favorite tea. When I first opened the package I was smashed by the best smelling oolong I could imagine, thick and rich with a background of fresh berries.. the taste and aroma are similarly divine. I almost want to keep it a secret so it won't sell out.. I got the last pack but I see Hou De has restocked since. :twisted:

I'm brewing it in a 120ml glass teapot at 208 for 30, 20, 20, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70

Aug 12th, '08, 20:11

by Victoria » Aug 12th, '08, 20:11

Resisting the enabling tactics of the great Zodduska, I continue on with my second steep of my office tea, wondering what I am missing over at Hou De.

Will my 2 year old tree Baozhong still taste as sweet? Alas!

Aug 12th, '08, 20:12

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 20:12

Zodduska wrote: Oh my god, 2008 Spring Li-Shan "Da Yu Ling" from Hou De.. restocked since.
Wow, that's quite a tea there. I have been bowled over by some Li Shans this year too. I'm beginning to wonder if Li Shan is actually producing a better product than the popular Ali Shan lately. Thanks for sharing your parameters. BTW, I don't thing Bao Zhong is usually called a gao shan or high mountain tea. I think it comes from a lower elevation. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
  • *Salsero rushes out to buy a case of this special occasion tea*