Wednesday 8/13/08 UNOPENED teas, how many?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How many teas do have that are UNOPENED? Do you have more open or unopen?

None, and obviously more open than unopen
28%
1 or 2 and more open than unopen
15%
1 or 2 and more unopen than open
2%
Less than 5, and more open than unopen
11%
Less than 5 and more unopen than open
No votes
Less than 10 and more open than unopen
15%
Less than 10 and more unopen than open
2%
Less than 20 and more open than unopen
8%
Less than 20 and more unopen than open
2%
More than 20 and more open than unopen
13%
More than 20 and more unopen than open
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 53

Aug 13th, '08, 14:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Aug 13th, '08, 14:57

Well if we're counting samples, I have several of those still unopened, mainly because I received them unsolicited with teaware orders, and they didn't particularly appeal to me.

OH! about 6 weeks ago I ordered a PiXiu tea beast (he has been in several of my photos,) and he arrived from China with one wing cracked off. I emailed the ebay seller and let him know about the damage, we exchanged a babelfish email and I repaired my statue with ceramic epoxy (it's almost perfect, you can barely see the repair.) I was satisfied since the repair was fine, and the item was inexpensive.

This morning when I arrived at my office, there was a replacement PiXiu sitting on my desk. Of course, I'm delighted and impressed, but haven't decided yet what to do with TWO beasties, maybe they can have a teaparty?

(Store is YunnanColorfulon Ebay, and he has a nice little selection of tea beasts.)

Aug 13th, '08, 15:06

by Victoria » Aug 13th, '08, 15:06

Cool! So they understood after all.
:)

Aug 13th, '08, 15:23

by Selaphiel » Aug 13th, '08, 15:23

I have 0 unopened teas :oops: I can't contain myself when I have new tea in the house :p

Had some Darjeeling first flush from Phuguri earlier today, gonna have some Jun Chiyabari Himalayan jade oolong for my evening tea.

Aug 13th, '08, 15:49

by Chip » Aug 13th, '08, 15:49

:lol: wow, top vote getter hands down so far, ZERO unopened teas.

I am enjoying Japanese Farmer shincha that I added some Karigane to. The karigane really rounds the flavor out. Makes it much better IMHO.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 13th, '08, 15:51

by chamekke » Aug 13th, '08, 15:51

Salsero (and anyone else who's interested) --

There's a really good article about houou (Japanese) a.k.a. feng huang (Chinese - the name that Victoria gave) on this webpage:
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/h ... enix.shtml

Nice pictures too. You can judge for yourself whether your "turkeys" fit the bill or not :wink:

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 13th, '08, 17:06

by auggy » Aug 13th, '08, 17:06

chamekke wrote:There's a really good article about houou (Japanese) a.k.a. feng huang (Chinese - the name that Victoria gave) on this webpage:

Nice pictures too. You can judge for yourself whether your "turkeys" fit the bill or not :wink:
Anyone know the difference between houou (鳳) and fushichou (不死鳥)? Apparently they are both "phoenix" in Japanese was wondering what the distinction (if any) is.

Of course, flying turkeys are cooler than phoenixes any day. :wink:

Aug 13th, '08, 17:27

by Victoria » Aug 13th, '08, 17:27

auggy wrote:
chamekke wrote:There's a really good article about houou (Japanese) a.k.a. feng huang (Chinese - the name that Victoria gave) on this webpage:

Anyone know the difference between houou (鳳) and fushichou (不死鳥)? Apparently they are both "phoenix" in Japanese was wondering what the distinction (if any) is.

Of course, flying turkeys are cooler than phoenixes any day. :wink:
Fushichou is a phoenix but a houou or feng huang is made up of many different birds.

"Unlike the Phoenix of the Western World, the Feng-Huang is immortal without needing to go through a cycle of death and re-birth" - New World Encyclopedia

Moving on this afternoon to FLT Li SHan.
Very nice oolong for an busy afternoon.

Aug 13th, '08, 19:15

by Geekgirl » Aug 13th, '08, 19:15

News flash (and cry for help from my fellow teachatters...)

It is over 90degrees outside today (in NW Oregon!) and I just came home to find a little parakeet (budgie) in my courtyard. He is exhausted and overheated I'm sure. I would like to get him to drink something, but not sure how.

Any ideas?

Aug 13th, '08, 19:24

by RussianSoul » Aug 13th, '08, 19:24

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:News flash (and cry for help from my fellow teachatters...)

It is over 90degrees outside today (in NW Oregon!) and I just came home to find a little parakeet (budgie) in my courtyard. He is exhausted and overheated I'm sure. I would like to get him to drink something, but not sure how.

Any ideas?

Aw, he is so cute! Are you going to keep him?

Put a saucer or two with water near him, he will drink when he is ready.

Aug 13th, '08, 19:27

by bronzebed » Aug 13th, '08, 19:27

awwww, he's such a cuttie. i hope he is ok.

Aug 13th, '08, 19:42

by Salsero » Aug 13th, '08, 19:42

chamekke wrote: There's a really good article about houou (Japanese)
Mmm, well the cup is Japanese, so the Japanese version of the bird applies, but the two traditions are certainly intertwined. Thanks for the article, Chamekke. I just glossed over it earlier in the day, but now I actually read it and see it is a pretty good treatment.

Portrayed together with the Dragon, they add up to powerful cosmic symbolism:
  • “In China, early artifacts show the Phoenix (female) as intimately associated with
    the Dragon (male) -- the two are portrayed either as mortal enemies or as blissful
    lovers. When shown together, the two symbolize both conflict and wedded bliss.”
[/size] Sort of reminds me of the wonderful matsuba (pine leaf) that you taught me about a couple months ago, although that is a less conflicted representation of romantic fidelity.

The two on my cup are starting to sound more like a couple:
  • “From early times … the Hou-ou was depicted as a male-female pair facing each other,”
[/size]So it may be they are not charging, but just displaying like this couple:
The motif that strikes me as most central seems to be that of harmony vs. conflict and I find that attractive and life-like in its ambiguity. Thanks everyone for helping me understand better this little cup I picked up in an antique store. I am back liking it quite a bit again … still ... those heads … sloppy work, IMO.

Aug 13th, '08, 20:37

by Pentox » Aug 13th, '08, 20:37

RussianSoul wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:News flash (and cry for help from my fellow teachatters...)

Any ideas?

Aw, he is so cute! Are you going to keep him?

Put a saucer or two with water near him, he will drink when he is ready.
Hm, since he's green i'm gonna say he's picky and wants some matcha. But in all truth yeah, just put some water near him and if he's thirsty he'll go for it I think.

Aug 13th, '08, 20:42

by Geekgirl » Aug 13th, '08, 20:42

Ha! If I keep him I'm gonna name him Matcha.

Aug 13th, '08, 22:22

by jewelbug » Aug 13th, '08, 22:22

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Ha! If I keep him I'm gonna name him Matcha.
Matcha's a cutie. A new forum mascot, perhaps? ;) I hope he's had something to drink now--how's he doing?
Salsero wrote: Thanks everyone for helping me understand better this little cup I picked up in an antique store. I am back liking it quite a bit again … still ... those heads … sloppy work, IMO.
I need to hit some antique stores, I think. Hubby's going to be gone this weekend and the antique district isn't far... ;)

I'm drinking some of adagio's li zi to finish my day.

Aug 13th, '08, 22:31

by kymidwife » Aug 13th, '08, 22:31

Well, I always open and smell all of my new teas... the exception to this has been my good greens, from O-Cha... because I wasnt' sure how fast I would drink them and I was trying to extend their freshness.

I bought 3 teas from O-Cha and until today, 2 of the 3 were open (Fukamushi Sencha Supreme and Yutaka Midori). My gyokuro Shou-Un was sealed.

And then I read the poll. So I opened it. :wink:

I'm on about the 8th infusion, and it is absolutely delicious. I am a gyokuro newbie, having only had Adagio's. But I must say, it is really delicious... very sweet and rich, with tons of staying power so far.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***