Saturday 8/16/08 Dogs Days of Summer, Iced Vs Hot Tea

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The dog days of Summer are upon us, what ratio of hot to iced teas do you drink as the temperature heats up?

100% HOT
21%
90% hot/10% iced
25%
80% hot/20% iced
13%
70% hot/30% iced
6%
60% hot/40% iced
9%
50% hot/50% iced
15%
40% hot/60% iced
No votes
30% hot/70% iced
2%
20% hot/80% iced
8%
10% hot/90% iced
2%
0% hot/100% iced
No votes

Total votes: 53

Aug 16th, '08, 16:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Aug 16th, '08, 16:12

:D
The day started properly with a beautiful pic from Salsero and some Golden Yunnan.

Iced tea is my choice when I'm out and the options are few. Most places here in the Northeast have it unsweetened. Today, in honor of the poll, we have iced Nepal FF. Doesn't get any spiffier than that! Very tasty. Sometimes when the tea is cool you can taste even more of the subtleties. It looks great in a pilsner glass!

For the poll, I chose 80/20. 8)

Aug 16th, '08, 16:18

by Chip » Aug 16th, '08, 16:18

CynTEAa wrote: Today, in honor of the poll, we have iced Nepal FF. Doesn't get any spiffier than that! Very tasty. Sometimes when the tea is cool you can taste even more of the subtleties. It looks great in a pilsner glass!
I have always liked Golden Nepal iced as well, sometimes blended w/ less expensive Ceylon if I am brewing a gallon. Natually fruity and sweet.

Fukamushi Supreme, hot is now in my cup. This is quickly becoming a perennial fave sencha.

Going for a bicycle ride shortly. I always feel better after a tough hilly ride, so I think I will make it extra hilly. :idea:
Last edited by Chip on Jun 28th, '09, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 16th, '08, 20:06

Iced up tea

by Salsero » Aug 16th, '08, 20:06

I have always looked down my snout at iced tea. My first thought was always, “Ewww, it’s cold,” followed shortly by, “My lord, I think someone put sugar in this.” Then find a place to set it down without making a scene … set it down quickly without making a scene, set it down quickly like you would set down a red hot, radioactive 5-pound ingot.

Then, earlier this year, I discovered powdered sencha. If you put some in a water bottle when you are being held without bail in a large meeting room, it gives you something to do during those moments when you are not devoting 100% of your attention to keeping your eyes open while you doze. You can shake it, drink it, watch the powdered sencha swirl around. It’s as good as being able to play a video game while some old dood up front is droning on about how tough it was back when he was coming up and how he made it despite all the odds. You know they didn’t even have cell phones by then. Gawh! :shock:
Hey and the stuff tastes good too! And it's green! And it freaks out all the other doods around you.

Another place I have found for powdered sencha is when you are wandering around in the Guantanamo Theme Park in sunny Orlando, Florida. Loud music, foreign languages (mostly eggspañol), conflicting messages, screaming children, ominous rides, temperatures where the hot dogs cook themselves, all in sauna like humidity. It’s more like the firebombing of Dresden than anything I think of as a park. Add all the perks of being a middle school chaperone, and you’ll know what a fun day that was. Well, under those conditions, fluids are required STAT and continuously, preferably an IV of normal saline. Go figure. Well, powdered sencha was a thrill to have that day. The only problem was herding the mating-aged eighth graders into a single holding pen long enough to purchase the bottle of water.

So ... long and short, I voted 100% hot.
Riene wrote: Is your pot silver?
The kyusu looks like some sort of metal but is actually very thin clay. I worry I will break it if I squeeze too hard. It is #971 HERE and holds ten ounces.
Jack_teachat wrote: Sal that is probably my favourite so far, it is now my desktop background!
Wow, what a compliment. I have a lizard on my desktop icon. :shock:
soapy wrote: have you ever thought of making prints and selling them on etsy.com?
I would buy this one.... :) (and everything in it.... :wink: )
Well I suspect my son would be willing to give you a good price on the flowerpot he did in kindergarten. I've thought about making the photos somehow available so people could get prints if they want them, but I haven't put the time into researching it.
If anyone wants a full resolution jpeg of any of my photos, I'm happy to send it.
auggy wrote: Sal, what's in the little blue painted pot - looks fernlike?
I think it is one of those things they call an air plant meaning it is dead but still green. :lol: BTW, I have found some glitter and am considering the options ....
augie wrote: I especially like the painted terra cotta pot in the back ground. I have one my Emmer (now 14 y.o.) made in preK and I still keep it despite the tempra handprints peeling off.
Boy, Augie, you nailed that one! Mine is 14 now too and maybe it was preschool not kindergarten. He's a wonderful young man now, but he was such a sweet little boy then.
chamekke wrote: What is that purple flower, by the way? I don't recognize it...
I don't either and it's killing me. I can't find it in my books.
Wesli wrote: If I drank a good pu-erh, I'd sweat like a pig.
Thanks so much for sharing that. :lol:

Aug 16th, '08, 20:29

by Geekgirl » Aug 16th, '08, 20:29

Voted but didn't answer. For the season, I'm about split, 60/40 hot to 50/50. At the moment I'm drinking iced Dragon Pearl Jasmine. This is my husband's favorite, and I put just a touch of honey in it.

I get my honey from a guy who sells jars of it a couple times a year out of a 5 gallon bucket he carries around from door to door. It is fantastic! Harvested just the week before from his own bee boxes.

Something about the honey really brings out the taste of the jasmine and green tea.

Sorry no tea photo for the last few days, I've been out shooting other things. I got some incredible pictures of the moon and clouds last night. If they turn out, they'll be up on my flickr account later today, which is linked on my www below.

Aug 16th, '08, 20:30

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 16th, '08, 20:30

Hi everybody! It's been a while since I dropped by to post, but I found myself missing you all, so I'm back. :)

Day to day I drink a good variety of teas, but year round the hot/cold ratio doesn't change much: about 50/50. No matter what the weather, my day always starts with a cup of hot, then brew up a couple more to put over ice for work. My office kettle doesn't cool off too much during the day what with brewing for both hot & cold.

Today most drinking Magnolia Oolong, along with leftover iced White Peach from yesterday.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Aug 16th, '08, 21:49

by henley » Aug 16th, '08, 21:49

daughteroftheKing wrote:Hi everybody! It's been a while since I dropped by to post, but I found myself missing you all, so I'm back. :)
Nice to see you around. Your presence has been missed here.

Out to dinner tonight w/extended family & after reading today's topic, was in the mood for iced tea. But now it's time to curl up w/a cuppa something warm. Off to play in the Oolong Box Pass samples. Although, the White Peach that dotK mentioned sounds good, too. Decisions, decisions...

Sal, nice to see you posting! :D

Aug 16th, '08, 22:15

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 16th, '08, 22:15

Thanks, Henley!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Aug 16th, '08, 22:27

by Salsero » Aug 16th, '08, 22:27

daughteroftheKing wrote: Hi everybody! It's been a while since I dropped by to post ...
Welcome back, lamb chop. We missed you.
henley wrote: Sal, nice to see you posting!
:lol: Next time I will try to remember that bevity is the soul of wit.

Aug 16th, '08, 22:30

by geeber1 » Aug 16th, '08, 22:30

I voted 80% iced/20% hot, although I don't usually put ice into the tea, so I guess it would be room temperature tea rather than "real" iced.
As for Iced Tea, I drank a ton of it on vacation... made a blend of Ceylon and Assam,
joelbct, I was glad to see you blended Ceylon and Assam. I'm a beginner and have been mixing the two together for iced tea, it's good to see that I have been on the right track! :)

Glad to see your photo and post, Salsero. It's nice that you used a treasure from your son in the photo, it looks just right there!

Aug 16th, '08, 23:50

by witches brew » Aug 16th, '08, 23:50

I think 70% of my tea is hot, but I enjoy various chilled tisanes, and really like iced matcha on a hot day.

I had no tea today. :shock:

In the rush of getting my cat to her vet appointment (just a check-up), I managed to brew the tea but leave it sitting on the kitchen counter. Somehow I never got back to the kitchen all day.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Aug 17th, '08, 01:00

by Chip » Aug 17th, '08, 01:00

witches brew wrote: In the rush of getting my cat to her vet appointment (just a check-up), I managed to brew the tea but leave it sitting on the kitchen counter. Somehow I never got back to the kitchen all day.
Been there and done that too many times! :oops:

After my intense bike ride, I got home and took care of the first business, major calorie consumption. Then TEA, Rishi Ancient Tea Tree Flowers. A nice end to my TeaDay.

Aug 17th, '08, 01:28

by doyoulovedee » Aug 17th, '08, 01:28

witches brew wrote:
In the rush of getting my cat to her vet appointment (just a check-up), I managed to brew the tea but leave it sitting on the kitchen counter. Somehow I never got back to the kitchen all day.
i hate that, i have to leave my self notes to not forget my tea for work.