Wednesday TeaDay 8/27/08 Tea and appetite?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Jumping into a controversial subject. Does tea suppress YOUR appetite? (does it enhance it?)

Yes, I truly believe it does suppress
16%
I think in some way it does, maybe indirectly suppress
25%
No, I do not think it does suppress
33%
NO, definitely not, does not suppress
12%
Other
14%

Total votes : 57

Wednesday TeaDay 8/27/08 Tea and appetite?

Postby Chip » Aug 27th, '08, 03:36

Yesterday's results surprised me to be honest. Most TeaChatters seemed to indicate a change was needed to improve their enjoyment of tea. You can still vote and discuss this topic!

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. I hope you can share a cup with us today. In fact, let's brew and share all day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. A lot of talk about tea and weight loss. This is a controversial and sensitive subject for many. But for you, intentionally or not, does tea suppress your appetite? Or does it enhance it? Nothing at all? Has tea been a part of weight loss for you? Directly, indirectly?

Since this is a sensitive subject, please be ... sensitive. :idea:

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today, bottoms up :!:
Last edited by Chip on Oct 17th, '08, 08:26, edited 3 times in total.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Koten Fuukega Chawan

Postby Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 04:14

The tea is Sencha Super Supreme; the yunomi, Aritayaki Porcelain in a chawan shape. I never have figured out what Koten Fuukega means.

There is a mountain on the left with a small tree, a building in the middle (maybe Shinto shrine?), and a big tree on the right. The colors are muted, which makes them hard to get right in a photo.

I like the contrast of the cup paired with the dark and rough-looking pottery kyusu.
Salsero

Postby omegapd » Aug 27th, '08, 04:55

I don't think tea does anything for my appetite. All I know is that it goes well with the majority of foods I eat. :lol:

EW
omegapd

Postby Selaphiel » Aug 27th, '08, 05:58

I did not know this was a rumor that tea had. I get really hungry when drinking green tea, not so much when I drink other kinds of tea. I have no idea why.

Sometime in the future I want a collective photo of your tea ware Salsero, you seem to have a LOT of it. Beautiful chawan.

Gonna go for some Shincha Kirameki today.
Selaphiel

Postby soapy » Aug 27th, '08, 06:34

I do know for fact that caffeine is a stimulant and suppresses the appetite

I love the contrast and color grouping Sal!
soapy

Postby augie » Aug 27th, '08, 06:46

Another great picture to start the day, Salsero.

Tea does nothing for my appetite, either way. I'm doing good enough on my own. Off to work . . . :)
augie

Postby Beidao » Aug 27th, '08, 07:45

Ceylon OP1 Kenilworth. Three cups so far. Nice but very much like Keemun :?

Now having something black from the cupboard. Not sure what it is really, Nilgiri maybe?
Beidao

Postby Trey Winston » Aug 27th, '08, 07:46

Tea seems to put a damper on my appetite while I'm drinking it, but shortly afterwards it returns with a vengeance.
Trey Winston

Postby laran7 » Aug 27th, '08, 07:55

I voted "other". I feel that tea can define my appetite - it invites or allows tastes which complement it and discourages flavors that "fight with it". It is an interesting concept. (at least to me) When I first tried Matcha - I wanted something sweet, just a taste of somethng with a specific taste (I could not imagine what that would ideally be) . Reading about the tea ceremony now - offering "small sweets" makes perfect sense.
I agree that caffeine in anything suppresses the appetite.
I understand better how the tea ceremony offers a unique balence.
laran7

Postby CynTEAa » Aug 27th, '08, 08:55

Yunnan Gold to start, of course. Green tea makes me hungry for certain, but other kinds don't seem to do the same. Unless, I've skipped lunch to finish a tea tasting... :wink:

Need a second cup to get started today. Allergy woes!

Have a good day everyone! Wonderful pic, Salsero! Seems to say, "Rugged yet refined." :)
CynTEAa

Postby Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 09:02

Selaphiel wrote: Sometime in the future I want a collective photo of your teaware Salsero, you seem to have a LOT of it.
It seems like more if you see it only one piece at a time. I will look into some familty portraits, however.
augie wrote: Off to work . . . :)
Hope your first day goes well, Augie!
Beidao wrote: Nilgiri maybe?
Sounds good. Nice photos of the the cup! Thanks. Another attractive contrast today!

I think I will join you in that Nilgiri, Beidao. Yesterday I finished a two-tea day with a "bacon and potatoes" yellow from Tuo Cha Tea blogger in Slovakia. Apparently Huo Shan Huang Ya is how you say bacon and potatoes in Chinese. :lol:

I've never noticed that tea has any effect on my appetite. Well, except the bacon and potatoes made me feel sort of full. Good tea day all!
Salsero

Postby Aphroditea » Aug 27th, '08, 09:14

Gorgeous cup Sal!

I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time. However, I am not convinced the tea had much to do with it. The biggest changes that I have noticed that are tea-related are that because I tend to drink so much throughout the day I no longer snack as much as I used to and I also do not retain water quite so much (but I have also cut back on sodium).

So, final verdict is that I am unconvinced that the claim is true - plus I have heard from so many people in the past claiming that typically when they are finished drinking their tea they get VERY hungry afterwards.

In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)
Aphroditea

Postby CynTEAa » Aug 27th, '08, 09:21

Aphroditea wrote:I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time.

Congrats, Aphy!

Aphroditea wrote:In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)

I tend to like something full bodied in the am. Have anything on hand like that?
CynTEAa

Postby jazz88 » Aug 27th, '08, 09:30

I voted "I think in some way it does". Tea drinking makes me feel less stressed out, these is something very comforting about a cup of tea. Maybe this is the reason why I feel tea does curb my appetite (I tend to eat more when I'm stressed out) Dunno ...

Salsero, Beidao – nice images!

Drinking keemun concerto. I tried keemun at the Huntington Botanical Garden, CA and liked it a lot.
jazz88

Postby Smari » Aug 27th, '08, 09:32

Aphroditea wrote: I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time. However, I am not convinced the tea had much to do with it. The biggest changes that I have noticed that are tea-related are that because I tend to drink so much throughout the day I no longer snack as much as I used to and I also do not retain water quite so much (but I have also cut back on sodium).

So, final verdict is that I am unconvinced that the claim is true - plus I have heard from so many people in the past claiming that typically when they are finished drinking their tea they get VERY hungry afterwards.

In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)

Oh wow, within the year that I started drinking tea (green tea mostly) with intense training with my personal trainer, I've lost over 20lbs, too! I did some researching & experimenting and it apparently suppresses my appetite and raised my metabolic rate - go figure. So I am a true believer that tea can help with weight loss, if included with daily exercise & a healthy diet.

In my cup this morning - sencha extra green w/ matcha.
Smari

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions