Thursday TeaDay 8/28/08 Tea and the common cold?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you believe tea can help prevent or suppress common illness such as colds and sinus infections?

In my personal experience, yes
18%
Yes I believe so
23%
Maybe
38%
Not likely IMHO
21%
Definitely not
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 61

Aug 28th, '08, 13:23

by geeber1 » Aug 28th, '08, 13:23

Thank you, henley!

No big plans except for dinner at a new Thai restaurant here in town.

My big excitement is the Zojirushi that my husband got for me. I used it this morning and think I'm hooked for life ... waking up to already hot water for tea ... this is the good life! :lol:

Aug 28th, '08, 13:36

by henley » Aug 28th, '08, 13:36

geeber1 wrote:My big excitement is the Zojirushi that my husband got for me. I used it this morning and think I'm hooked for life ... waking up to already hot water for tea ... this is the good life! :lol:
Congrats! May have to check this out as a Cmas present. I keep hoping for a TeaFairy that will make tea for me whenever I want. Sounds like the Zoji may be the next best thing. :wink:

Aug 28th, '08, 13:40

by auggy » Aug 28th, '08, 13:40

geeber1 wrote:Thank you, henley!

No big plans except for dinner at a new Thai restaurant here in town.

My big excitement is the Zojirushi that my husband got for me. I used it this morning and think I'm hooked for life ... waking up to already hot water for tea ... this is the good life! :lol:
Happy Birthday! And yay for a zoji to make your bday that much happier! It will spoil you so! :mrgreen:

Aug 28th, '08, 13:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 28th, '08, 13:53

Happy Birthday Geeber!!!

Just to clarify my earlier comment. My personal experience seems to indicate green tea helps prevent common illness for me, and also helps to get over them quicker.

Looking for my next tea, maybe Wenshan Baozhong.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 28th, '08, 14:08

by chamekke » Aug 28th, '08, 14:08

kymidwife wrote:So they still don't know what's making me tingle... except my mono spot came back positive, despite the fact that I had mono already, 5 years ago. So I may be having a flair of Epstein Barr virus. Had an MRI... normal, thank goodness. Labs, all basically normal except my B1 was one point low. Nothing remarkable. Have an enlarged thyroid but normal thyroid blood tests, so I am having a nuclear scan to check it but it appears to be a multinodular benign goiter.
Sarah, I'm so glad that most of the tests are coming back with normal results. Will keep fingers crossed for the remaining ones.

Also, cautiously good news that the tea and caffeine aren't themselves the problem - right? Now you can enjoy the tea in moderation without worrying?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 28th, '08, 14:11

by chamekke » Aug 28th, '08, 14:11

Geeber -- happy birthday!

And I love your new avatar. Is it in honour of the occasion? Too adorable :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 28th, '08, 14:36

by geeber1 » Aug 28th, '08, 14:36

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

I am definitely already spoiled by the Zoji! Wish I had one at work.
And I love your new avatar. Is it in honour of the occasion? Too adorable
Thanks chamekke, I got an email yesterday of animals made out of fruit and/or veggies. This little guy was so cute I decided to use him for my avatar. Usually I trash the cutesy emails but am glad I opened this one.

Aug 28th, '08, 15:04

by Katrina » Aug 28th, '08, 15:04

Happy Birthday, Geeber1!

I answered no (for me at least.) I have been drinking more tea, yet have been sicker over the past 1 1/2 than ever before. Of course, this is also tied to the timeline of the arrival of baby #2. Then again, maybe I would have been even worse without the tea. (Kind of hard to imagine.)

Nantou oolong today along with a few of the first blackberries to arrive on our blackberry bush. Anxiously waiting for more to ripen. *drooling*

Aug 28th, '08, 15:29

by Chip » Aug 28th, '08, 15:29

Katrina wrote: Image

Nantou oolong today along with a few of the first blackberries to arrive on our blackberry bush. Anxiously waiting for more to ripen. *drooling*
Nice looking crop!!

Wenshan Subtropical Forest Baozhong currently. Don't tell anyone, but I might like this even more than the 2 year tree Wenshan, both from Teamasters.

Aug 28th, '08, 15:33

by geeber1 » Aug 28th, '08, 15:33

Gorgeous photo, Katrina, those berries look delicious. (the tea does, too, of course!)

Aug 28th, '08, 15:33

by hop_goblin » Aug 28th, '08, 15:33

geeber1 wrote:Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

I am definitely already spoiled by the Zoji! Wish I had one at work.
And I love your new avatar. Is it in honour of the occasion? Too adorable
Thanks chamekke, I got an email yesterday of animals made out of fruit and/or veggies. This little guy was so cute I decided to use him for my avatar. Usually I trash the cutesy emails but am glad I opened this one.
Yes, Happy Bday! :o

Aug 28th, '08, 15:46

by Beidao » Aug 28th, '08, 15:46

Grattis på födelsedagen Geeber!

I went to a Japanese store, recommended by another Swedish Tea chatter, and bought green tea today. Sencha Gin, Sencha Midori and Kukicha. I've had 3 cups of Kukicha this evening, first time, liked it. Anyone here familiar with Uji no Tsuyu, the brand? I guess they aren't very classy (prices were rather low) but I'm glad to hear opinions.

Earlier today I've had Ceylon OP1 Kenilworth. And espresso... Now it's to late for more tea. How irritating! :evil:

All of you who have a big part of the day left - drink tea, drink tea, and be happy and take care! :twisted:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 28th, '08, 17:49

by Victoria » Aug 28th, '08, 17:49

I think it does help to build your immune system. So it's possible.
I seem to be sick less overall since I've been more heavily drinking tea.

Mostly Darjeeling for me the last two days, smooth and easy going. But I'm craving some good Ali Shan, I must go brew!

Aug 28th, '08, 17:59

by henley » Aug 28th, '08, 17:59

Katrina wrote: Nantou oolong today along with a few of the first blackberries to arrive on our blackberry bush. Anxiously waiting for more to ripen. *drooling*
I'm drooling over the blackberries, too! Yummy!!!

It's been a good tea day! Had 4 cups of Hatsumi for lunch. Currently drinking Hang Kuan Yin from the oolong box. This tea is very good! It has a rich amber color w/a smooth flavor. So far I've had good luck w/Wuyi teas in that I haven't found one I don't like. :D

Aug 28th, '08, 18:06

by Salsero » Aug 28th, '08, 18:06

augie wrote: Another great photo, Salsero.
Thanks, Augie! How are you surviving the world of architecture? The tea world misses you.
auggy wrote: the cup they have there now is the same color/design but the shape is different - it has an out-turned lip.
What a sharp eye you have! Perplexed, I wrote to Jeffrey D. Sarvis at Japanese Green Tea Shops. He says:
  • The teacup set you purchased a couple of months ago was called ""Koten Fuukega Chawan Teacup Set"
    whereas the one I have now (and had at the time you purchased your set) is called the "Fuukega Chawan
    Teacup Set". The difference is only the word "Koten" and they are slightly different styles. I found these
    sets in a small local teashop in Chiba, Japan and purchased all that the shop had onhand.
    I'm afraid that of the style that you purchased there was only one set! (Actually there were 3 cups, and I kept
    one cup for my own private collection). The remaining set, the regular Fuukega Chawan Teacup Set, I have only
    2 sets left in stock. I have since visited the shop where I had found them, but they are no longer available.
    (This is often the case with pieces in my "yakimono" pages). I sincerely regret not being able to
    get the cups that your friend is intrested in.

By the way, your photographs are fantastic! Would you like to come to Japan and help me out a little? Heh heh
Sorry, girl. But at least he has good taste in photos!
henley wrote: BEFORE
AFTER
Impressive change, Henley! I may have to change my mantra from “All change is bad” to something more flexible.
chamekke wrote: The karesansui cup that you bought through Toru-san has similar ridges, no?
If you refer to the yunomi that you got from Toru san but I got from Iris Hermit, yes. But on that cup, the ridges are inside as well as outside.
kongni wrote: thanks for being so dedicated to keeping this forum lively!
You must have a pretty forgiving definition of lively if my contribution counts as lively, but I appreciate the thought. Thanks.

Happy Birthday Geeber!!! That Zoji rox!
Katrina wrote: Image
Katrina, love the pic, love the gaiwan, and you know we all covet your blackberries! Where did that gaiwan come from?
Chip wrote: Wenshan Subtropical Forest Baozhong currently. Don't tell anyone, but I might like this even more than the 2 year tree Wenshan, both from Teamasters.
Wow! I have some of that sitting around here somewhere, but haven't managed to get to it yet. I remember that is the one I almost ordered the lower quality of, but Stéphane double checked with me and we got the issues straightened out.

I don't notice any health benefits from tea. I've had a nice Assam Satrupa and learned to brew my Anxi Se Zhong better today. What a busy tea day today!