Friday TeaDay 8/29/08 Tea and disease prevention?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you believe that tea can be instrumental in preventing more serious and life threatening disease such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and others?

Yes, I believe it can
27%
Yes, I am at least hopeful that it is possible
22%
Maybe
32%
No, I doubt it
13%
Definitely not
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 60

Aug 29th, '08, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 29th, '08, 14:58

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:
I just read that O-Cha is going to release a Chiran fukamushi type sencha and a Yame gyokuro next week! WOOT!!!!!!
Argh and here I was trying to cut back on tea purchasing recently...
DITTO!

I am wondering what the price point will be for the Yame and if he will offer a 50 gram option. He offered at least one of his gyo last year as a 50 grammer.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 29th, '08, 15:07

by olivierco » Aug 29th, '08, 15:07

Chip wrote: I just read that O-Cha is going to release a Chiran fukamushi type sencha and a Yame gyokuro next week! WOOT!!!!!!
Great news!

Aug 29th, '08, 15:29

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 29th, '08, 15:29

From personal experience, I think that tea does help. I have a lot of digestive issues and since I started drinking more tea, those issues seemed to have calmed down a bit. It might be that I am watching more carefully what I eat and avoiding things that I know do not agree with me, but some where in there I think tea did help some in combination with everything else.

I decided to be brave and open the cheap bag of sencha with matcha that I purchased simply because it had a pretty purple package. After reading the directions given on the package that said to brew the tea with "boild" water for 3 to 5 minutes, I thought it might be better to just use my own method of a heaping tsp in 5oz of water at 170*F for 1 minute. It doesn't really taste anything like sencha, more like a very mild, slightly nutty Chinese green. I guess it may work better for throwing in a bottle in the fridge than actually drinking it hot. It was worth trying, but I think I will clean out the kyusu and make some good sencha instead.

Aug 29th, '08, 15:54

by Chip » Aug 29th, '08, 15:54

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:From personal experience, I think that tea does help. I have a lot of digestive issues and since I started drinking more tea, those issues seemed to have calmed down a bit. It might be that I am watching more carefully what I eat and avoiding things that I know do not agree with me, but some where in there I think tea did help some in combination with everything else.

... but I think I will clean out the kyusu and make some good sencha instead.
Great news!

I know we talked about this some time ago, CK, but since it is relevant to the subject and you semi brought it up ... I used to have severe acid reflux "disease." I used to have to sleep almost sitting up, all kinds of life sux kind of things that I won't get into here.

I only made 2 noticable changes, I purposely stopped drinking/eating peppermint (which I did not much anyway, but it can numb the muscle that keeps fluids reentering the esophagus from the stomach). That and despite all the recommendations to eliminate caffeine from my diet, I started drinking more tea for no reason except I liked it, especially GREENS.
Was it the tea, I don't know tbh. But the quality of my life has greatly increased since then.

Currently enjoying Farmer shincha with some crappy gyokuro and some karigane thrown in. Not bad blending.

Aug 29th, '08, 16:08

by Katrina » Aug 29th, '08, 16:08

I said, "yes" because I think there is enough scientific evidence on the positive effects tea (and other foods) can have on these conditions. HOWEVER, I am NOT saying tea is curative. I am NOT saying it ameliorates the effects of all the other bad things we put into our bodies. I am NOT saying that if you drink tea you will never get these things. I am saying that tea can play a positive role in assisting some of our bodies' natural defenses.

That being said, I do not drink tea for any of these reasons. I drink tea because I like it.

A homemade blend today: ceylon, vanilla, orange peel, and cinnamon.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Aug 29th, '08, 16:11

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 16:11

Chip wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:
I just read that O-Cha is going to release a Chiran fukamushi type sencha and a Yame gyokuro next week! WOOT!!!!!!
Argh and here I was trying to cut back on tea purchasing recently...
DITTO!

I am wondering what the price point will be for the Yame and if he will offer a 50 gram option. He offered at least one of his gyo last year as a 50 grammer.
Most of their offerings are 100g only though aren't they? Just not as cool as Lupicia I guess.

Aug 29th, '08, 16:12

by kongni » Aug 29th, '08, 16:12

Chip- I have read that green tea can restore a more natural alkalinity in your body but teas that are heavily oxidized can do the opposite. I actually bought some irish breakfast tea last year that had me burping up acid every time I drank it. Eventually I threw it out because it was just too much.

One tea brew that I drink on a weekly basis is kombucha which is a well known fermented tea beverage.. Kombucha has detoxifying and antibiotic properties that have made the drink a popular "preventitive health tonic" but not everyone is convinced that it's good for you. Some people say that you should only ingest antibiotics if you have an infection. period. I'm not sure if I agree with that since kombucha tends to have such small amounts of antibiotics present.

Sippin' the shincha right now :)

Aug 29th, '08, 17:07

by bronzebed » Aug 29th, '08, 17:07

also wanted to add that i would get a number of cavities a year but when i started drinking tea i stopped getting cavities completely. when i was getting cavities i was doing everything right, brushing several times a day, using plaque removers, flossing, eating very little sugar and lots of fruits and veggies but nothing would work. i really think the tea helped.

i'm about to make some of that gyokuro chip was raving about a week or so ago. can't wait!

Aug 29th, '08, 17:22

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 17:22

bronzebed wrote:also wanted to add that i would get a number of cavities a year but when i started drinking tea i stopped getting cavities completely. when i was getting cavities i was doing everything right, brushing several times a day, using plaque removers, flossing, eating very little sugar and lots of fruits and veggies but nothing would work. i really think the tea helped.
That i'm actually fairly sure is valid. Tea actually is known to be a good source of Flourine, and that helps with the strength of the enamel in your teeth from what I have heard. A light amount of flourine is good for a number of reasons I believe, hence why some water comes flouidated.

Drink tea, less cavities.

Aug 29th, '08, 17:24

by silverneedles » Aug 29th, '08, 17:24

i used to have less cavities, but that was because i stopped eating candy.
still had to pay the dentist to clean my stained teeth.

then i started with candy again and cavities came back.

as for the acid reflux. i still have mine. eh.

Aug 29th, '08, 17:50

by Proinsias » Aug 29th, '08, 17:50

I think it depends on the tea and on the person consuming the tea, possibly even the environment in which the tea is consumed. I read in a 70's taoist book that drinking things like fresh orange juice in the middle of the winter in the northern hemisphere can do damage, regardless of all the goodness it contains, as it can trick the body into thinking it's the height of summer in the med - made sense to me. Since I live in Scotland I should eat local, seasonal Scottish food - central heating and double glazing makes things even more complicated.

My problem with a lot of the scientific studies is that they involve averages from huge groups of people over short time frames, I'm a unique person who is going to be drinking tea a little longer than the few years, or months, the studies are conducted over and I suspect my tea consumption is somewhat different to the sort that is usually studied.

There's also the water factor to take into account, yeah the tea might be good but the water you're using to make 99.99% of it might not be what your body's looking for.

I voted 'other'

Tea today: Sencha Midori, aged TGY and a bowl of matcha.

I my glass just now: Single malt.

Aug 29th, '08, 18:08

by Pentox » Aug 29th, '08, 18:08

Proinsias wrote: I my glass just now: Single malt.
Single malt from who/where?

Aug 29th, '08, 18:36

by Thirsty Daruma » Aug 29th, '08, 18:36

The putative absence of any kind of digestive cancer in Uji, Japan is a strong clue for me.

Aug 29th, '08, 18:56

by silverneedles » Aug 29th, '08, 18:56

"any kind of digestive cancer"

where do you find that info?

Aug 29th, '08, 20:43

by Ladytiger » Aug 29th, '08, 20:43

I voted maybe for today's poll. It might help prevent these deasises. Some scientists think that tea may reduce the risk of these by drinking tea but I can only believe it if I conducted my own experiment and had my own data. So, yea, maybe it can.

I'm setting down from a long day of shopping at the indoor farmer's market, Target, Giant (grocery store), Lowes, and visiting the library. This seems to be the perfect time to get soothed with some Adagio's Cha Cha tea, though I do not feel like doing the cha cha at the moment. I had this tea for the first time the other night and I think I might have to have a bigger size my next order. It tastes similar to the Foxtrot but I find it better than the Foxtrot, maybe because I'm not fond of rooibos but I'm not really fond of straight chamomile either, I find it kind of sickening.

I need to get some more herbals the next time I'm at the Renaissance Faire. I need peppermint, lemon grass, chamomile, and other such stuffs. Yummy...