Sunday TeaRoom/TeaDay 9/07/08 What's for dessert?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaRoom TeaDay. We had dinner, now it is time for dessert. What is your favorite type of dessert when eating out?

Pie
8%
Cake
8%
Frozen
8%
Chocolate takes top priority
31%
Cheesy
3%
Pudding/custard
8%
Ethnic
No votes
Other
17%
None
17%

Total votes: 36

Sep 7th, '08, 12:20

by Wosret » Sep 7th, '08, 12:20

What's an "ethnic" dessert? :lol:

Still no "all of the above" option. :(

Sep 7th, '08, 13:33

by Cinnamon Kitty » Sep 7th, '08, 13:33

I like cookies. Preferably oatmeal raisin ones that are nice and soft. A nice fruit sorbet is always good too, especially blackberry or mango. I think my favorite would have to be getting fresh strawberries and serving them over homemade biscuits topped with some non-dairy whipped cream. Mmmm...

Today I am starting my tea day with some Valentines. I'll probably switch to an oolong shortly.

Sep 7th, '08, 13:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Sep 7th, '08, 13:42

Chocolate is fabulous! But I miss cheesecake, flan and tiramisu. No diary - woe is me. :)

Started with Yunnan Gold and just had a sencha second flush cold brewed. Holy macaroni -that's good stuff! Need moar!

Sep 7th, '08, 13:59

by kongni » Sep 7th, '08, 13:59

Good to see so many chocolate lovers out there! :D

Have you ever had a stroopwafel with some good strong black tea or sencha? OMG!!! Soooo gooood! :D

Opened a new bag of farmer style shincha today. Moving on to yunnan gold this afternoon. Zoooom!

Sep 7th, '08, 13:59

by kymidwife » Sep 7th, '08, 13:59

I enjoy dessert but I almost never bake anything, so if I have dessert, its what someone else prepared or in a restaurant.

My mom's pineapple upside down cake is hard to beat... and her chess and chocolate pies.. and her peach or blackberrry cobbler... yummmm.

I love anything with coconut... toasted french coconut pie, coconut cream pie, coconut cake, or an Almond Joy. 8)

In a restaurant, my choice depends on what the little guy with the dessert tray has to offer... but if Creme Brulee is there, that usually settles it for me. A local restaurant here has vanilla bean creme brulee regularly, and on special occasions, they make one called "black bottom" creme brulee... has melted chocolate in the bottom of the ramiken when you dip your spoon in. Oooooh.

Best desserts I've tasted in a VERY long time were during my visit with Russian Soul... we had lunch and tea AND amazing desserts... so good.

Adagio's Golden Monkey is currently in my cup... even though it's almost 1pm for me, this is my "morning wake-up" tea as I was up all night delivering a baby and didn't get to sleep until 6am. She was a fatty, 9 lbs.

Have a great tea day...

Sarah

Sep 7th, '08, 14:13

by Chip » Sep 7th, '08, 14:13

I chose chocolate, the darker the better. I order less desserts than I used to, prefering to walk away feeling satisfied and not stuffed. But I have a sweet tooth second to none. I could choose any of the options.

Started the day with Adagio Yunnan Gold, I am one of a handful of members who do not love Yunnan Gold. I get why it is liked so much, just not for me.

Now, O-Cha shincha Yutaka Midori, this one is hard to beat.

I have been cold brewing some older less lovable Japanese teas. I need to use them up one way or another. Cold brewing them makes them more agreeable. Cold brewing is great. I throw a seemingly weird combination of greens together and it still comes out quite drinkable.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 7th, '08, 14:43

by Salsero » Sep 7th, '08, 14:43

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: The little tribal man is a little spooky, but spooky is good.
Smari wrote: Sal- love that sculpture of the little tribal man, looks so lively!
augie wrote: Salsero, that is the most interesting statue in the background. What is it?
Glad you like the ebony statute from Tanzania. Some 40 or so years ago, my father got a bunch of statues from a rope works in Africa. They hired a local artisan to make statues full time for distributors to give as gifts.

I have always assumed that he is a local religious, legendary, or magical character, but I really don't know anything about him. He is full of life and I enjoy him a lot, but he is not your average kind of guy.

Sep 7th, '08, 14:50

by Beidao » Sep 7th, '08, 14:50

Now drinking a second steep of Kukicha. I've found out that the second steep of this has to sit for 20 minutes at least. But then it's reeeally good.

Earlier today it's been Yunnan Gold and an "Organico Finest Green" at a restaurant. The "finest green" had a very fishy taste. Some say Japanese tea in general taste like sea - well, I bet this was not Japanese and it tasted sea weed. Odd. Not disgusting, just... odd.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Sep 7th, '08, 15:02

by RussianSoul » Sep 7th, '08, 15:02

kymidwife wrote:Best desserts I've tasted in a VERY long time were during my visit with Russian Soul... we had lunch and tea AND amazing desserts... so good.
Oohhh, I am so happy you liked it! You just made my day by saying this!

I actually don't have a sweet tooth and generally dislike sweets. So the desert must be super top notch for me to agree to eat it. Deserts from Julius Meinl are that good, that's why I took you there.

I wish more restaurants offered a cheese tray option or fresh fruit. Since this is rarely the case I just go without.

Sep 7th, '08, 15:31

by GalileosDaughter » Sep 7th, '08, 15:31

Pie for me. I like the fruity things.

Speaking of which, iced Adagio Mango this afternoon.

Sep 7th, '08, 15:34

by Geekgirl » Sep 7th, '08, 15:34

Oolong all morning for me. I like dessert. I may need to get dessert for lunch. Enough said.

Everytime Sal posts this cup, I want it. So now I have it. (poor impulse control over here, yes I know.)

Sep 7th, '08, 15:40

by Salsero » Sep 7th, '08, 15:40

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Everytime Sal posts this cup, I want it. So now I have it. (poor impulse control over here, yes I know.)
Great taste, GGU! I don't regret my excessive outlay for it and you won't either. It seems to me that I read somewhere that the pheasants represent long life, so just compare the cost to a medical bill and it won't seem so high.

Sep 7th, '08, 16:02

by Ti » Sep 7th, '08, 16:02

That cup kicks ass!

Sep 7th, '08, 16:33

by Wosret » Sep 7th, '08, 16:33

Salsero wrote:Glad you like the ebony statute from Tanzania. Some 40 or so years ago, my father got a bunch of statues from a rope works in Africa. They hired a local artisan to make statues full time for distributors to give as gifts.

I have always assumed that he is a local religious, legendary, or magical character, but I really don't know anything about him. He is full of life and I enjoy him a lot, but he is not your average kind of guy.
I've got a bunch of statuary from Kenya and Tanzania from when my father was there in his youth, too. :) Stuff made specifically for tourists doesn't generally have significant religious/spiritual meaning, and sometimes aren't even made out of ebony, but regular wood coloured with shoe polish! Doesn't make it any less nifty, in my opinion.

Sep 7th, '08, 17:00

by Salsero » Sep 7th, '08, 17:00

Wosret wrote: I've got a bunch of statuary from Kenya and Tanzania.
I would enjoy seeing photos of your statutes. I have two others that I featured in previous TeaDay pix, the second was actually posed with a Kenyan tea!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320 ... 52copy.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320 ... illmaA.jpg

BTW: I am currently drinking one of the best Assam teas I have ever had courtesy of the bonnie Scots lad, Proinsias. Thanks, Proi!