Thursday TeaDay 9/18/08 Group Tea Tastings?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Have you participated in group tea tastings that were shipped to you? If not, would you like to?

Yes I have participated in many group tea tastings.
18%
Yes, I have particpated in at least one group tea tasting.
16%
No, I have not but it sounds very interesting.
59%
No, not really interested.
4%
Other.
2%

Total votes: 49

Sep 18th, '08, 02:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 9/18/08 Group Tea Tastings?

by Chip » Sep 18th, '08, 02:12

Welcome Tea aficionados to TeaDay! Let's brew, then share what is in our cups today, all day, of course.

Yesterday, Western Hemisphere teaware styles did not fare as well as Asian on Tuesday. 20% of responders said they craved western teaware on some level. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is about tea tastings. Have you participated in group tea tastings that were shipped to you? If not, would you like to? If yes, how was the experience and would you do more?

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Sep 18th, '08, 03:11, edited 2 times in total.

Sep 18th, '08, 02:20

Himalayan Hand Rolled

by Salsero » Sep 18th, '08, 02:20

This Nepalese has lovely leaves. The rose is Penelope.

Sep 18th, '08, 02:25

by omegapd » Sep 18th, '08, 02:25

You mean like sending samples to other Tea Chatters and comparing notes? Yeah, I've done that and it's been fun...

No tea this morning but I did get around to cupping one of those tangerine Pu-erhs yesterday and liked it pretty well. I also got in my first package from Yunnan Sourcing so am pretty stoked about trying something new once I decide to take the plunge and mess up that pretty cake. :wink:

EW

Sep 18th, '08, 03:01

by Chip » Sep 18th, '08, 03:01

Good point, EW. Allow me to clarify.

When I say group tastings, I am refering to a group of people, "participants," all receiving the same tea or group of teas from a "host." They can be highly or loosely organized.

Participants then share notes and impressions about the tea.

Sep 18th, '08, 03:47

by Trioxin » Sep 18th, '08, 03:47

Not as of yet. Something I would like to do though. Maybe sometime in the future when I have a tea I am desperate to get rid of, I'll unload it on the lot of you under the pretense of a group tasting.

Currently drinking nothing. Considering brewing up some roasted oolong from just4tea though.

Sep 18th, '08, 04:38

by tsverrir » Sep 18th, '08, 04:38

I really don't know anyone (at least no one I've met in person) who shares my interest in tea so no I have not been a part of a group tasting, but it sure sounds interesting.

In my cup now: Mini Pu-erh Tea Brick from puerhshop. Very tasty (namm namm).

Sep 18th, '08, 05:31

by Jack_teachat » Sep 18th, '08, 05:31

I had two good friends come over for sencha a few months ago and it really taught me a lesson about brewing tea for more than just myself! Now that my methods have improved I'm hoping to have them over again for Chinese tea, as due to the decanting stage I find it much easier to serve into multiple cups. Yunnan Grand Imperial to start the day. Jack :D

Sep 18th, '08, 09:57

by Smari » Sep 18th, '08, 09:57

Sal- the piece is so artistic! I love it!

I've never participated in a group tasting before but would be interested in doing it one day. I wished that more of my friends would just share the same passion for tea like me hehe, then it would probably be something that I'd like to host. The closest I can get them to tea is probably a green tea martini :lol:

This morning, about to brew up Adagio's silver needle. Hopefully after my trip to the orthodontist to get my braces tightened, I won't be too sore to drink more tea...

Sep 18th, '08, 09:59

by kongni » Sep 18th, '08, 09:59

I've seen a few of these events around town but have not participated yet.
The last one I saw was cost prohibitive for me. $30 for the group tasting and hours devours. Does this sound like a reasonable price? I wasn't sure what kind of venue it would be so maybe it actually was worth every penny...

Just opened up a new bag of Hibiki-an organic shincha this morning.

Cheers!

Sep 18th, '08, 10:06

by Victoria » Sep 18th, '08, 10:06

Yes, tea tastings are a great way to try new teas. Comparing notes with other tasters is interesting and it's fun. Not to mention trying teas you might not have been interested in otherwse and getting to taste some rarer teas too.

In my cup this morning: Makaibari Green Crystals
This is a second flush Darjeeling - organic and fair trade

Have a nice day everyone!

Sep 18th, '08, 10:44

by auggy » Sep 18th, '08, 10:44

The closest I've gotten to participating in a group tasting would be making tea for my family and talking about how (if) they liked it. Of course, I do that with almost every new tea I get. But I have a feeling that doesn't really qualify.

I think an actual group tasting would be interesting. I'd be neat to see where my impressions ranked compared to others.

EG this morning. Thankfully it has not given me the jitters like yesterday's tea did, just a nice little rush of energy. Looking at my day, I feel like I'm drowning. It makes me want to just throw up my hands and go home. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the extra crap people are throwing at me right now. :(

Sep 18th, '08, 10:48

by jazz88 » Sep 18th, '08, 10:48

No I have not participated but it sounds like fun
Formosa Oolong in my cup. It's a darker and toastier variety. I love it, particularly the smell which reminds me of grains for some reason.

Sep 18th, '08, 10:49

by olivierco » Sep 18th, '08, 10:49

Yes I have participated in some group tea tastings.
It is quite fun and interesting too.

No tea since my Keemun with breakfast because of a long day busy at work. I will have to wait two more hours to have some tea.

Sep 18th, '08, 11:40

by Pentox » Sep 18th, '08, 11:40

auggy wrote: It makes me want to just throw up my hands and go home. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the extra crap people are throwing at me right now. :(
Sounds like the story of my life as of late. You can persevere!

Hm this morning I think i'm going to have some shizu no kaoru.

Sep 18th, '08, 11:43

by bronzebed » Sep 18th, '08, 11:43

haven't done anything like that by mail. the closest i've done to that is going to teahouses with a group of people and purchased a bunch of pots of tea and shared them all and discussed them.

for breakfast i had green mu dan.