Monday TeaDay 9/22/08 Vegetarian, Vegan, Omnivore, etc?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I hear this topic sneak into TeaDays already, so I figured, why not! Things we ingest, besides tea. Maybe you are a vegetarian. A vegan. Omnivore. Carnivore O_O ?

I am a vegetarian
18%
I am a vegan
3%
I am an omnivore
64%
I am a carnivore O_O
8%
Other?
8%

Total votes: 66

Sep 22nd, '08, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 1991 CNNP Yellow Label

by Salsero » Sep 22nd, '08, 14:20

silverneedles wrote: ... is very tasty ...
As was this puerh! Thanks to all for today's compliments. Nice autumn pic, Henley; it makes me feel the chill coming on in the evenings. Beidao, can we call that the last rose of summer or are more going to bloom up north there?

Now, can someone pls do something about the financial system!

Sep 22nd, '08, 15:02

by shogun89 » Sep 22nd, '08, 15:02

I LOVE meat and fruits and vegies. So omnivore here.

Sep 22nd, '08, 16:10

by omegapd » Sep 22nd, '08, 16:10

murrius wrote:I will eat anything
That's me. I'm the unpaid version of Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods. His could possibly be my dream job... :cry:

A very nice Magnolia Oolong today that I think Victoria hated. :wink:

EW

Sep 22nd, '08, 16:39

by Beidao » Sep 22nd, '08, 16:39

Henley: I've got four, pay me the shipping and I'll send one :lol:

Salsero: Last rose, yes. They're going away now. It's getting colder each day and in a week or two there'll be nothing reminding of summer.

Wesli: If the goal is to create as much life as possible, I figure wild, unprotected sex every day would be funnier than eating meat. - No, joking. Honestly, I work with animals and am convinced that 99 % of all cats should be castrated, so I don't see the importance of having billions of cows and pigs living. Especially not since I took a course in enviromental problems. But one thing many environmental-friendly vegans forget is how much problems rice cause. So sure, nothing's easy to pin down and those discussions will go on forever.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Sep 22nd, '08, 17:34

by Cinnamon Kitty » Sep 22nd, '08, 17:34

I am an omnivore with fun food sensitivities so I tend to eat more towards the vegetarian side of things and only consume meat every so often. I also love seafood but stay away from all dairy except for some cheeses.

Today, I've been drinking a nice blend of Oolong #8 and Orange Blossom Oolong.

Sep 22nd, '08, 21:56

by augie » Sep 22nd, '08, 21:56

Wesli wrote:Same.
That's pretty deep Wesli.

I've tried it all. However, b/c I have a short attention span, I quit the vegan gig. I never felt better in my whole life eating vegan. However, I was frightened when waking in the middle of the night with a hankering for raw hamburger. :twisted:

however, I wasn't a tea drinker at that time, so maybe things could be different???

Sep 22nd, '08, 22:03

by Space Samurai » Sep 22nd, '08, 22:03

Wesli wrote:I eat meat. I've thought about giving it up, but have found my reasons why not to.

1) Homo sapiens sapiens (and precursor hominids) have eaten meat for their entirety of being.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. IIRC correctly, some of the early hominids had different diets that did not involve meat. Though I will not argue that energy-rich meat had a definitive part in our evolution, particularly in feeding our brains.
Wesli wrote:2) Homo sapiens sapiens seem to be the first to have fished (earliest fishing artifacts are associated with HSS), and also first to develop art, spaceships, etc. Many anthropologists believe the consumption of fish played a part in early HSS intelligence development.
I've read a few comprehensive anthropology books in the last six weeks, and I've haven't come across this idea.
Wesli wrote:3) If it weren't for our eating them, these animals would not be born in the first place.

So by my eating meat, I'm giving life. Giving life is what vegetarians and vegans think they're doing, but in reality, they're taking away the need for those animals lives.
These statements sound more than a bit anthropocentric.
Wesli wrote:Death and birth are only natural, so why not accept them as such, and use them to create a better balance.
There's nothing natural about slaughterhouses. I am all for the circle of life, but we're not talking about scavaging, or about hunter/gatherer cultures. The way meat is obtained and consumed in the US by and large is anything but natural.

Furthermore, through out history civilisations evolved as agrarian societies. We have a variety of cultivated protein sources, nuts, beans, legumes, dairy products, that may not have been readily available to our ancestors.

Perhaps vegatarians and vegans go to far, but we are a culture of consumers, and over consumption is rampant. Someone has to try and balance things.

On another note...

I think its interesting how we polarize this issue, you either eat no meat and are a vegatarian, or you eat meat. Rather black and white.

Sep 22nd, '08, 22:10

by Space Samurai » Sep 22nd, '08, 22:10

Tonight I'm drinking some awacha from Shikoku that I received as a gift.

It's interesting, unique yet familiar.

Sep 22nd, '08, 22:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Sep 22nd, '08, 22:49

Gorgeous, I love the leaf display in the wood bowl, such a nice mix of textures... and of course, the Seigan. I finally got one of my own! woohoo!

Sep 22nd, '08, 23:17

by Pentox » Sep 22nd, '08, 23:17

what's awacha?

Sep 23rd, '08, 00:06

by evilive » Sep 23rd, '08, 00:06

Space Samurai wrote:
Wesli wrote:I eat meat. I've thought about giving it up, but have found my reasons why not to.

1) Homo sapiens sapiens (and precursor hominids) have eaten meat for their entirety of being.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. IIRC correctly, some of the early hominids had different diets that did not involve meat. Though I will not argue that energy-rich meat had a definitive part in our evolution, particularly in feeding our brains.
Wesli wrote:2) Homo sapiens sapiens seem to be the first to have fished (earliest fishing artifacts are associated with HSS), and also first to develop art, spaceships, etc. Many anthropologists believe the consumption of fish played a part in early HSS intelligence development.
I've read a few comprehensive anthropology books in the last six weeks, and I've haven't come across this idea.
Wesli wrote:3) If it weren't for our eating them, these animals would not be born in the first place.

So by my eating meat, I'm giving life. Giving life is what vegetarians and vegans think they're doing, but in reality, they're taking away the need for those animals lives.
These statements sound more than a bit anthropocentric.
Wesli wrote:Death and birth are only natural, so why not accept them as such, and use them to create a better balance.
There's nothing natural about slaughterhouses. I am all for the circle of life, but we're not talking about scavaging, or about hunter/gatherer cultures. The way meat is obtained and consumed in the US by and large is anything but natural.

Furthermore, through out history civilisations evolved as agrarian societies. We have a variety of cultivated protein sources, nuts, beans, legumes, dairy products, that may not have been readily available to our ancestors.

Perhaps vegatarians and vegans go to far, but we are a culture of consumers, and over consumption is rampant. Someone has to try and balance things.

On another note...

I think its interesting how we polarize this issue, you either eat no meat and are a vegatarian, or you eat meat. Rather black and white.
Beat me to it Space Samurai. I'm a very strict vegetarian.. have been for years now. There's nothing at all I miss.

Sep 23rd, '08, 00:11

by rodstnmn » Sep 23rd, '08, 00:11

Pentox wrote:what's awacha?
Bless you!!

Sep 23rd, '08, 00:55

by caligatia » Sep 23rd, '08, 00:55

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. I'll eat meat about twice a week, because I get sick if I cut it out entirely, but I'd give it up entirely if I could. I love dairy, though, and eggs. So I'd be a lousy vegan.

Iced strawberry black tea right now. Planning on some lapsang souchong later. (I got my days and nights switched again, so I'll be up until dawn. I can't seem to stick to a normal sleep schedule for the life of me...)

Sep 23rd, '08, 01:07

by Space Samurai » Sep 23rd, '08, 01:07

Good question. Wish I had an answer. :D

I've never heard of it before, but received some today as a gift. It is from the island of Shikoku, the smallest of the four main islands of Japan. I am assuming this tea gets its name from what used to be the provence of Awa, what is now Tokushima. I found one mention of an Awa bancha from Tokushima, so this is probably a fair guess.

It has some stems mixed in with the leaves, a somewhat unique and spicy aroma, and shares some similarites with karigane in both aroma and flavor. It tastes moderately steamed, kind of dry, vegital, hints of cilantro.

It's interesting, and nice to try something different.
Last edited by Space Samurai on Sep 23rd, '08, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 23rd, '08, 01:10

by Pentox » Sep 23rd, '08, 01:10

Space Samurai wrote:
Good question. Wish I had an answer. :D

I've never heard of it before, but received some today as a gift. It is from the island of Shikoku, the smallest of the four main islands of Japan. I am assuming this tea gets its name from what used to be the provence of Awa, what is now Tokushima. I found one mention of an Awa bancha from Tokushima, so this is probably a fair guess.

It has some stems mixed in with the leaves, a somewhat unique and spicy aroma, and shares some similarites with karigane in both aroma and flavor. It tastes moderately steamed, kind of dry, vegital.

It's interesting, and nice to try something different.
oh man, I must find some.