Saturday TeaDay 9/27/08 What tea pairs with food?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaRoom TeaDay on TeaChat. What tea do you feel MOST pairs with food?

BlAcK
31%
When you say OO, I say LONG!
38%
grEEn
13%
wHiTe
No votes
pU-Erh
6%
flavORED
No votes
HeRbAl
2%
rOOIbOs
No votes
yerbe MATE
No votes
other
10%

Total votes: 52

Sep 27th, '08, 10:32

by chamekke » Sep 27th, '08, 10:32

Oo! Long! Oo! Long!

Although in general, I mostly drink water with my meals, and tea before or afterwards :)

I hope that the teabeast paid Salsero handsomely for his extremely flattering studio photograph. Mr. de Mille...

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Sep 27th, '08, 11:10

by Jack_teachat » Sep 27th, '08, 11:10

Black tea + full english breakfast =yum! Having Emperor Long Jing from teaspring now, what an amazing tea!

Sep 27th, '08, 11:39
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 27th, '08, 11:39

I always get pu-erh when I go for dim sum because it is great to de-grease for your stomach and therefore I don't feel that guilty to eat a lot :P

I love to have oolong with cheesecake - they blend into a new flavor. I make my own cheesecake with yogurt and cream cheese and like it to be less sweet. I don't do it very often but every time I had this combo, I felt so pampered :o
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Sep 27th, '08, 11:45

by bronzebed » Sep 27th, '08, 11:45

for me, black tea seems to go the best with a variety of food. i really don't like to drink green tea with food because i feel like it compromises the flavor of the tea. i don't end up enjoying the tea as much.

i'm getting ready to brew some phoenix #1-iron goddess of mercy.

Sep 27th, '08, 12:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 27th, '08, 12:07

chamekke wrote: Although in general, I mostly drink water with my meals, and tea before or afterwards :)
Ditto. I hardly ever drink tea directly with food. And very often before and after. Thus, I really do not think about food/tea pairings all that much. Blacks seem to be a good combo with food in general and do not get so lost on my palate with all the food flavorings.

If I am just having some rice or something kind of bland, certainly Japanese greens are best. :wink:

This morning, Adagio Darjeeling. And now, Chiran Sencha Supreme (Yutaka Midori) from O-Cha.

Sep 27th, '08, 12:36

by Mairin » Sep 27th, '08, 12:36

My first post! :D

I almost always drink black tea with food. In my opinion, other teas are too delicate and drinking them during meals really compromises the flavor, though I am a fan of a bowl of rice and some matcha for a snack.

Sep 27th, '08, 12:38

by Chip » Sep 27th, '08, 12:38

Mairin wrote:My first post! :D

I almost always drink black tea with food. In my opinion, other teas are too delicate and drinking them during meals really compromises the flavor, though I am a fan of a bowl of rice and some matcha for a snack.
Welcome, Mairin, to TeaChat and TeaDay! You have good taste. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Sep 27th, '08, 13:06

by Wosret » Sep 27th, '08, 13:06

I went with green, as it's the tea I go for when I have tea with a meal of any kind. First runner up is black.

I'm on my third cup of Barry's Irish tea. Bagged! All my good tea is at work ... the irony.

Sep 27th, '08, 13:17

by Victoria » Sep 27th, '08, 13:17

I always have tea with breakfast but usually just water with other meals. That is unless tea is made of course.

This morning I'm having a nice Darjeeling in my new Limoges cup and saucer from eBay. This is the most delicate eggshell china I have ever seen. The whole tea drinking experience feels different somehow than with my usual yunomi.

Have a nice day everyone!

Sep 27th, '08, 13:40

by Salsero » Sep 27th, '08, 13:40

Trioxin wrote: Image
Wow, Trioxin, you need to post more photos. This is just fabulous!
Mairin wrote: My first post!
Congratulations and welcome.
chamekke wrote: I hope that the teabeast paid Salsero handsomely for his extremely flattering studio photograph.
You have no idea how hard it is to get a dragon to hold still long enough to push the shutter button! At least dragons don't steal your matcha like GeekGirl's kitteh does.

Sep 27th, '08, 13:59

by jazz88 » Sep 27th, '08, 13:59

Voted Black.
Drinking Jasmine Yin-Hao right now.
Just got TriniTEA Electric Maker from Adagio – so happy with it!

Sep 27th, '08, 14:06

by auggy » Sep 27th, '08, 14:06

Sal, gorgeous picture again today. Very striking.

I voted for green, but not so much because I pair my tea with food (I'm like Chip and Chamekke in that typically I drink tea before and after a meal and water during) but because a lot of times green tea is the perfect "dessert" to my meal. I think it is something that got stuck in my head when I was in Japan - most of the time the miso soup is the only "drink" during the meal and then they finish the meal with green tea (or at least all four of my families did, so I assume it is typical). So now meals, especially those with a Japanese taste or influence, rarely feel finished unless I have some sencha.

Tai ping monkey king for me today so far. Probably will have one or two more steeps, eat lunch, then switch to fuka-midori while watching some DVRs from this past week. That's the plan at least. Ah, what a tough day today! :)

Sep 27th, '08, 14:58

by Salsero » Sep 27th, '08, 14:58

auggy wrote:Sal, gorgeous picture again today. Very striking ... most of the time the miso soup is the only "drink" during the meal
Thanks for mentioning the photo, Auggy, and thanks for explaining the role of miso soup ... I always wondered how people could eat such thin soup. Now that I see how it fits into the meal, it makes perfect sense.

Sep 27th, '08, 15:11

by Maitre_Tea » Sep 27th, '08, 15:11

This is just a theory of mine as to why people are voting oolong as the tea that goes well with most foods...

I think it has to do with the fact that oolong sits between green teas and black teas (in terms of fermentation and other factors). Additionally, the flavor palette of oolong is wider. For example, the fragrant lightness of most green teas would get overwhelmed by stronger flavored dishes, while black (red) teas might overpower delicate foods.

I don't usually drink tea with my meals, unless it's an iced oolong or iced barley tea. Hot drinks during a hot meal tends to be too much for me.

Sep 27th, '08, 15:30

by Geekgirl » Sep 27th, '08, 15:30

voted oolong because it's the only tea I drink with food.

Morning matcha:

For some reason my whisking skills are regressing. Matcha is extra bubbly. :( The teabowl and pitcher are from an Etsy store: One Wintry Night. The teabowl was custom made especially for me! Heh.

Matcha cat strikes again:

Last edited by Geekgirl on Sep 27th, '08, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.