Wednesday TeaDay 10/01/08 Yixing anyone?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you own a Yixing pot? More than one?

Yes, I own 1
18%
I own less than 5
31%
I own less than 10
8%
I own less than 20
7%
I own 20 or more
7%
I do not own any Yixing, but I definitely want one
8%
No, maybe one day, no hurry
13%
Nope, I do not want one either
5%
What's a Yixing pot?
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 61

Oct 2nd, '08, 09:36

by Shelob » Oct 2nd, '08, 09:36

I do not own a Yixing teapot, only own 1 gaiwan. Starving artists have to eat ya know!

Oct 2nd, '08, 10:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 2nd, '08, 10:01

Shelob wrote:I do not own a Yixing teapot, only own 1 gaiwan. Starving artists have to eat ya know!
Eating is overrated.
Go for the teaware.
:)

Welcome to the forum!

Oct 2nd, '08, 12:28

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '08, 12:28

Victoria wrote:
Shelob wrote:I do not own a Yixing teapot, only own 1 gaiwan. Starving artists have to eat ya know!
Eating is overrated.
Go for the teaware.
:)

Welcome to the forum!
I thought Shelob eats for free? But yeah, you pay for tea and teaware unless you happen upon a TeaTraveler in a certain "lair."

A kyusu is the way to go anyway. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 2nd, '08, 14:20

by tsusentei » Oct 2nd, '08, 14:20

Yixing is a very difficult thing to use with any skill. It took me so long just to purchase my first, and the accumulation of the others took just as long. I currently have a variety of pots, from puer to green, but find that I use the older pots more often than the new. Before using any pot, new or old, I will "reset" the pot using a slightly altered Taiwanese method. I definitely like the pot to represent those teas that I find and drink. I find that all of the good yixing that I own responds more markedly than other brewing methods to different types of water, and give the most character and depth of flavor when using naturally distilled water (ie. rain or snow). I drink mainly Japanese teas, but when I do indulge in other East Asian teas, I depend on my pots heavily.

Oct 4th, '08, 16:49

by Chip » Oct 4th, '08, 16:49

tsusentei wrote:Yixing is a very difficult thing to use with any skill. It took me so long just to purchase my first, and the accumulation of the others took just as long. I currently have a variety of pots, from puer to green, but find that I use the older pots more often than the new. Before using any pot, new or old, I will "reset" the pot using a slightly altered Taiwanese method. I definitely like the pot to represent those teas that I find and drink. I find that all of the good yixing that I own responds more markedly than other brewing methods to different types of water, and give the most character and depth of flavor when using naturally distilled water (ie. rain or snow). I drink mainly Japanese teas, but when I do indulge in other East Asian teas, I depend on my pots heavily.
You are truly an intriguing newer member. Your posts are quite insightful. Thanks for sharing with us!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!