Wednesday TeaDay 10/01/08 Yixing anyone?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you own a Yixing pot? More than one?

Yes, I own 1
18%
I own less than 5
31%
I own less than 10
8%
I own less than 20
7%
I own 20 or more
7%
I do not own any Yixing, but I definitely want one
8%
No, maybe one day, no hurry
13%
Nope, I do not want one either
5%
What's a Yixing pot?
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 61

Oct 1st, '08, 19:58

by kymidwife » Oct 1st, '08, 19:58

Chip wrote:I have too many "Yixing" that I purchased when I started drinking tea. Unfortunately, I don't use them these days, prefering lighter teas. And when I do brew a darker oolong, I reach for a gaiwan.
I'll be waiting for your virtual garage sale!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 1st, '08, 23:41

by leiche » Oct 1st, '08, 23:41

Oh man, this is late, but still worth mentioning: Plucker's Pick is giving away free tea today only, in celebration of their site launch. They sell three single-estate Ceylon teas: Kenilworth, Brunswick, and Homadola.

And now, off to have another cup of tea and a much-needed snack.
Last edited by leiche on Oct 1st, '08, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 1st, '08, 23:46

by Space Samurai » Oct 1st, '08, 23:46

I have four yixing pots, just got the fourth one today. :D By and large yixing pots don't do it for me. I've looked at hundreds and only two styles have ever interested me, xi shi and shui pin. I love the xi shi. :oops:

This was interesting...I read in National Geographic today that scientists are currently mapping the DNA of Neanderthals. :shock: They have located "a version of a gene called FOXP2 that contributes to speach and languate abilities."

Tonight I'm drinking some matcha from Itoen followed with some mystery shupu.

Oct 1st, '08, 23:47

by laran7 » Oct 1st, '08, 23:47

I have one little yixing pot that I bought from a consignment store. I thought I would use it - but didn't realize that I really like drinking more tea more than it holds (about five ounces.)

I tried to identify and compare the teapot by looking at photos posted on " Show off your teaware day " but did not see anything like it. It is dark grey - has a spotted lizard on top and a leaf and vine design twined around the body of the pot. The tea screen is neat and cleanly made. It is marked on the bottom of the pot and inside the cover.

I brewed sencha the first time - and used way too much leaf - the tea tasted awful. I rinsed out the pot and tried Oolong - which was fine.

Its very pretty. I don't mind it being decorative.

Oct 1st, '08, 23:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2000 CNNP Grand Red Label

by Salsero » Oct 1st, '08, 23:52

Trioxin wrote: Do you own a flower shop or something yo?
Hey, I live in Florida! Crape Myrtles like the ones in today's photo are everywhere.

Oct 1st, '08, 23:59

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 1st, '08, 23:59

leiche wrote:Oh man, this is late, but still worth mentioning: Plucker's Pick is giving away free tea today only, in celebration of their site launch. They sell three single-estate Ceylon teas: Kenilworth, Brunswick, and Homadola.

So I took advantage of this deal and bought a 3.5 oz. tin of kenilworth tea ... suddenly realizing that I have noooooo knowledge of Indian style black teas. I basically picked the tea because it said "OP" (Orange Pekoe) as opposed to "BOP" (Broken Orange Pekoe), the former which I think is better...hopefully I'll be in for a surprise when it arrives

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:03

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:03

kymidwife wrote:
Chip wrote:I have too many "Yixing"
Well, I have had them for going on 10 years now, so, PLEASE do NOT hold your breath! :lol: One day I will share more on this, but not today. :roll:
augie wrote: Currently enjoying dragonwell. Trying to empty the tin for Chipster.
Cool, and thanx!
laran7 wrote:I tried to identify and compare the teapot by looking at photos posted on " Show off your teaware day " but did not see anything like it. It is dark grey - has a spotted lizard on top and a leaf and vine design twined around the body of the pot. The tea screen is neat and cleanly made. It is marked on the bottom of the pot and inside the cover.

I brewed sencha the first time - and used way too much leaf - the tea tasted awful. I rinsed out the pot and tried Oolong - which was fine.

HA, I think I have that Yixing, but lizards show up on Yixing lids pretty often.

Regarding your sencha, one thing you could have done to salvage the situation is to add more water to the brew. It helps you to learn as well.

What sencha?

Let's see, where did I leave off on my TeaDay, well I am finishing the day with Rishi Ancient Tea Flowers, a lovely finish to the day.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:06

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:06

kongni wrote:
Chip wrote: That is asamushi? Asamushi can be "prissy" at times. Maybe lower temp would help? I can at times get frustrated with asamushi, prefering something I can consistantly brew perfectly!
Yes, I believe it is a type of asamushi. I'll try the lower temp. The second steep seems to come out better than the first every time. Go figure :o
Humor me and tell me how you are brewing? :)

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:12

by Space Samurai » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:12

Chip wrote: Let's see, where did I leave off on my TeaDay, well I am finishing the day with Rishi Ancient Tea Flowers, a lovely finish to the day.
Sounds good, think I'll do the same.

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:19

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:19

Space Samurai wrote:
Chip wrote: Let's see, where did I leave off on my TeaDay, well I am finishing the day with Rishi Ancient Tea Flowers, a lovely finish to the day.
Sounds good, think I'll do the same.
I swear they kinda grow on you. 8)

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:25

by laran7 » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:25

Chip wrote:
kymidwife wrote:
Chip wrote:I have too many "Yixing"
Well, I have had them for going on 10 years now, so, PLEASE do NOT hold your breath! :lol: One day I will share more on this, but not today. :roll:
augie wrote: Currently enjoying dragonwell. Trying to empty the tin for Chipster.
Cool, and thanx!
laran7 wrote:I brewed sencha the first time - and used way too much leaf - the tea tasted awful. I rinsed out the pot and tried Oolong - which was fine.

HA, I think I have that Yixing, but lizards show up on Yixing lids pretty often.

Regarding your sencha, one thing you could have done to salvage the situation is to add more water to the brew. It helps you to learn as well.

What sencha?
The sencha I used was a no name one that I bought at a local herb store. The woman who sold it says that she likes sencha especially because it mixes well with different flavors - mint leaves etc. I should have diluted it - that is a good idea - I was worried about a bad taste lingering in the pot (and pretty frantically threw it all out.) I almost added to my post that it had been a learning experience but I thought all I was learning was that different teas react very differently to brewing "perameters" - and possibly that a better quality sencha might have brewed more mildly. Thanks for the advice-

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:35

by Chip » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:35

laran7 wrote: The sencha I used was a no name one that I bought at a local herb store. The woman who sold it says that she likes sencha especially because it mixes well with different flavors - mint leaves etc. I should have diluted it - that is a good idea - I was worried about a bad taste lingering in the pot (and pretty frantically threw it all out.) I almost added to my post that it had been a learning experience but I thought all I was learning was that different teas react very differently to brewing "perameters" - and possibly that a better quality sencha might have brewed more mildly. Thanks for the advice-
I hope the sencha works for you. I would recommend trying a better one if this one does not work out, or even if it does.

The fact that the woman mentioned using it for blending tells me that it is likely a lower grade, a common practice, why blend a goooood sencha with flavor enhancers, etc.

Sencha is a learning experience!!! Bad sencha is just frustrating. If you find yourself getting frustrated, then move on to another sencha.

Oct 2nd, '08, 00:50

by Victoria » Oct 2nd, '08, 00:50

leiche wrote:Oh man, this is late, but still worth mentioning: Plucker's Pick is giving away free tea today only, in celebration of their site launch. They sell three single-estate Ceylon teas: Kenilworth, Brunswick, and Homadola.

Darn, missed that one! It has been so hot here, I brewed up some older ceylon tonight for iced tea tomorrow. Crazy hot and in October. Oy.

Oct 2nd, '08, 01:57

by horsencl » Oct 2nd, '08, 01:57

My first cup today was some Janam white tea. I've just finished my first cup of dan cong oolong from my new yixing. Probably one of the best quality oolongs I've had so I can't tell if it is the pot or the tea that made it so yummy :)

Oct 2nd, '08, 09:07

by Victoria » Oct 2nd, '08, 09:07

Where is your dan cong from? I'm not always fond of that one, to me
it has the most varied flavors. Had to find good ones.