Saturday TeaRoom 10/11/08 Caffeine fiend?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Be honest, how important do you think CAFFEINE is to your tea enjoyment? Are you a caffeine fiend?

I am a caffeine fiend. Caffeine is most important to tea enjoyment
5%
I am a borderline fiend
12%
I like the caffeine but find other things more important than the caffeine
42%
I can live with or without the caffeine
29%
I don't like the caffeine in tea
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 59

Oct 11th, '08, 02:57
Scrolling: scrolling

Saturday TeaRoom 10/11/08 Caffeine fiend?

by Chip » Oct 11th, '08, 02:57

Good TeaDay everyone! Can we please share what is in our cups today! Let's brew.

Yesterday, Reading was the number one response to vegging with tea. Music and sounds of silence were close behind. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaRoom poll and discussion topic. Be honest, how important do you think CAFFEINE is to your tea enjoyment? Are you a caffeine fiend?

I am looking forward to sharing caffeine with everyone today, bottoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Oct 11th, '08, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 11th, '08, 03:24

by Salsero » Oct 11th, '08, 03:24

I used to be a big coffee hound. I think my caffeine consumption has gradually dropped to a fraction of what it was back then, but the caffeine is definitely part of what I like in tea. I must say that I think there are psychotropics in tea that are not found in coffee. And then there's the rush you get when a new pu cake or teacup arrives in the mail!

Speaking of complex psychotropics ... cha qi ... thanks, Orguz, for the opportunity to taste this wonderful, dry stored, old tea . . . even better to share thoughts with you in Live Chat while drinking it! Once again, Live Chat proves to be the virtual TeaHouse.

Oct 11th, '08, 03:29

by omegapd » Oct 11th, '08, 03:29

I don't use tea for caffeine, just enjoy the flavors. I drink quite a bit of coffee during the day, and that gives me whatever caffeine I need.

Today looks to be a shu day for me... :wink:

EW

Oct 11th, '08, 04:01

by tsusentei » Oct 11th, '08, 04:01

I do not understand it, but I broke my bodies caffeine response long ago. It no longer affects in any noticeable manner. Sure, it is probably still leeching calcium from my bones or whatever, but no late nights thanks to tea for me.

Just finished a pot of my own personal sencha blend. Rather good for the green fix, both flavor and color-wise. Time for bed.

Oct 11th, '08, 06:15

by tsverrir » Oct 11th, '08, 06:15

I used to be a huge caffeine addict before converting to tea. For me the flavor is by far the most important factor. Of course I love a strong cha qi but I think caffeine is only a small factor there. At least I never experienced anything remotely like that drinking coffee.

Oct 11th, '08, 08:27

by Jack_teachat » Oct 11th, '08, 08:27

I enjoy the feeling of Caffeine from black tea in the morning but try to stick to just greens in the afternoon/evening. No tea for me as of yet but will probably have some Emperor Long Jing after brunch! Have a great weekend everyone! :D

Oct 11th, '08, 08:30
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 11th, '08, 08:30

I chose "other" (as usual).

I am highly caffeine sensitive, and if I consume too much in a given day, I'll experience physical "discomfort" and/or have a panic attack at around 2:30 a.m.

So I walk a fine line when I'm sipping, as just enough can help me be more alert and enhance my experience of the day, but even a little too much is really too much.

Oct 11th, '08, 08:42

by Shelob » Oct 11th, '08, 08:42

I tend to like, no correct that LOVE the 'caffeine rush'; must be my personality. I guess anyone who likes skydiving needs that extra adrenaline rush to keep her goin!!! :shock:

This morn on deck - Boehemian Rhaposdy by Queen...wow talk about a rush, Freddy M sure could sing.

In my cup this am, Bohea Black from Tao of Tea

Have a FAB TeaDay!

Oct 11th, '08, 08:56
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 11th, '08, 08:56

In my cup this a.m. is "Late 80's Meng Hai 8972 Brick Uncooked" from Hou De.

Oct 11th, '08, 09:23

by caligatia » Oct 11th, '08, 09:23

I picked "other". I have a love/hate relationship with caffeine. I enjoy it sometimes, but if I drink too much of it I get too jittery and feel awful. I wish I could find more good decaf black teas!

I just fixed a cup of darjeeling #22. In a little while I'm going to Mom's for brunch, and I'm going to take a thermos of Irish breakfast to share. She'll like it, I think.

Oct 11th, '08, 09:29

by augie » Oct 11th, '08, 09:29

Salsero wrote: And then there's the rush you get when a new pu cake or teacup arrives in the mail!

Speaking of complex psychotropics ... cha qi ...
I agree with Salsero. I think the cha qi is more important, along with the headrush from a huge box of pu being dropped in your lap just as you're finished submitting a project online for a deadline in 15 minutes and your computer is very s.lo.o.w. Better than a venti cafe latte if you ask me.

When I want to wake up I drink coffee. When I want to be happy, I drink tea! :D

Oct 11th, '08, 09:31

by CynTEAa » Oct 11th, '08, 09:31

Oh, I'm a fiend, but chose borderline because the caffeine is not the most important thing in tea to me. The flavor nuances and general awesomeness are most important.

So Yunnan Gold again. Not sure if this morning thing is OCD or just loving the flavor. Next up - some kind of sencha sounds appealing. Then grocery shopping = bleh!

Happy Saturday!

Oct 11th, '08, 10:34

by Ed » Oct 11th, '08, 10:34

I like a little caffeine to wake me up in the morning... but after that, the caffeine is just a nuisance for me. I'm caffeine-sensitive as well and that is the only factor limiting my tea consumption. Sometimes I wish it didn't have any caffeine at all.

Maiko's Shuppin Sencha in my cup this morning.

Oct 11th, '08, 10:38

by chamekke » Oct 11th, '08, 10:38

Eh, where tea is concerned I neither like nor dislike the caffeine. The taste of the tea is what I'm most interested in. If a buzz is really needed (e.g. to stay awake at work), I go hard-core and head straight for coffee ... or chocolate-covered espresso beans :P Tea is for pleasure!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 11th, '08, 10:56

by Riene » Oct 11th, '08, 10:56

The first two cups in the morning have to have caffeine. The more the better. I *heart* my black teas.

The caffeine content of afternoon and evening teas isn't as important.

I must go brew a pot. This morning I was someplace where the only options were stewed black coffee, cola, or tepid water with limp teabag in styrofoam cup. I opted for the tea, but I seriously need some Golden Yunnan right now.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty