Monday TeaDay 10/13/08 TeaChat and personal journey?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic was from an anon who wondered when you were a new member to TeaChat, how much did TeaChat help you in your personal tea journey?

TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined
49%
TeaChat did help me when I joined
43%
Maybe it helped
6%
I do not think it helped
No votes
No, it did not help me when I joined
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

Oct 12th, '08, 23:09
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 10/13/08 TeaChat and personal journey?

by Chip » Oct 12th, '08, 23:09

Welcome one and all to TeaDay on Monday. Please share what is in your cup today, all day.

Yesterday, virtually everyone indicated they had either seen a good movie or read a good book lately. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic was from an anon who wondered when you were a new member to TeaChat, how much did TeaChat help you in your personal tea journey? Please share.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today. Bottoms up!
Last edited by Chip on Oct 15th, '08, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 13th, '08, 00:08

by tsusentei » Oct 13th, '08, 00:08

We are all somewhere along our tea journeys, and they have no end, so I would have to say that it is helpful. It reassures and double-checks opinions, creates and encourages interest, teaches and unteaches various "facts". I would say that TeaChat is positive, and that though (as I am new here) it didn't help me, it is helping me(^^).

Currently drinking The Blend again. Smooth and green as always.

Oct 13th, '08, 01:35

by olivierco » Oct 13th, '08, 01:35

TeaChat did help me when I joined.
Recommendations for next teas, brewing comparisons, advice for buying teaware, sharing about tea with other teanerds...

Yunnan golden tips this morning.

Oct 13th, '08, 01:52
Scrolling: scrolling

2007 Menghai 0532 Ripe Pu-erh Tea

by Salsero » Oct 13th, '08, 01:52

As a tea noobie two years ago, TeaChat helped me enormously, specifically about a dozen or two dozen people who were frequenting LiveChat back then and still do! Cha Dao, RFDT, the Puerh LJ, TeaMail, and other online resources were also helpful in a secondary role.

In those two years it seems the forums have improved greatly. Maybe it is an error of memory, but I think the average TeaChatter IQ has increased astronomically in two years and both the volume and quality of discussion in the forums has increased similarly, especially in the green and puerh tea areas.

I imagine Augie has already or is just about to dig into this one in the puerh box pass:

Oct 13th, '08, 01:58

by kymidwife » Oct 13th, '08, 01:58

For me, no doubt... tremendously helpful!

Before I found Teachat, I was enjoying tea, but I was in a totally different place at that time. Teachat has helped me a great deal with:
-learning how to brew greens, which i was destroying before
-introduced me completely to oolongs which are now my favorite
-through my new knowledge, I have gradually migrated away from flavored teas almost entirely
-I am a much more conscious brewer now, paying closer attention to time and temperature
-I actually own some traditional teaware which I didn't have before;

And most of all, where I could have learned about tea from many informative websites or blogs, the friendship and banter and familiarity of this circle of tea friends is a pleasant part of my tea day. I look forward to you all every single day, and miss you when I cannot visit.

I should SO be in bed... it's 1am. Something good will be in my cup when I wake.

Sarah

Oct 13th, '08, 02:47

by Trioxin » Oct 13th, '08, 02:47

Well, teachat wasn't very helpful from a financial standpoint. Aside from that, very helpful. I found new sources for tea and teawares, and maybe even learned a thing or two.

Currently drinking a Da Hong Pao Oolong.

Oct 13th, '08, 05:07

by Trey Winston » Oct 13th, '08, 05:07

Nothing has expanded my tea-horizons like TeaChat has. The collective knowledge and experience on this forum is astonishing.

Edit: I just noticed that today is my one-year anniversary as a member of TeaChat, so the topic of the poll is very appropriate for me. Must celebrate with Xine's Birthday Blend.
Last edited by Trey Winston on Oct 13th, '08, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 13th, '08, 05:27

by omegapd » Oct 13th, '08, 05:27

I had no idea what Pu-erh was...and now it's my favorite. Thanks TeaChat!

Starting the morning off with a couple cups of a Menghai Pu.

EW

Oct 13th, '08, 07:05

by shogun89 » Oct 13th, '08, 07:05

It helped a ton, for sure! Learn about tea, meet some friends. . . Not a bad site at all!!!
:D :D :D

Oct 13th, '08, 07:57

by chad » Oct 13th, '08, 07:57

I have been an analyst by trade for almost my entire adult working life; there is no such thing as too much information! :D

Whenever I start a new adventure/hobbie/interest I seek out as much information as I can. Years ago this meant visiting multiple libraries, seeking out individuals, or finding clubs. With the internet I can visit my library, seek out individuals, and join clubs much more efficiently. TeaChat has been helpful, confusing, welcoming, and a most pleasant place to visit each day. (Confusing in the sense that each of us have our own tastes, preferences, and bias.) :D

Darjeeling in the cup to jump start the day. :D

Oct 13th, '08, 09:02

by tsverrir » Oct 13th, '08, 09:02

I really don't know anyone who shares my passion for tea, so Teachat is very helpful in the way that it lets me communicate with people who have a passion for tea. Also I've learned a thing or two from you guys.

Oct 13th, '08, 09:14

by omegapd » Oct 13th, '08, 09:14

Heavy tea day already this morning. First a couple of cups of 2006 Famous Tea Mountain shu and now I finally broke down and broke open my first brick of new sheng Pu-erh. I've tried a sample of aged and it was okay, but nothing super. This new sheng is much different- along the lines of a green or oolong tea with a distinct taste and odd numbing effect on the tongue/mouth. Wow...

Great. Just more stuff to buy and collect now. :?

Oct 13th, '08, 09:39

by eor1122 » Oct 13th, '08, 09:39

Trey Winston wrote:Nothing has expanded my tea-horizons like TeaChat has. The collective knowledge and experience on this forum is astonishing.

Edit: I just noticed that today is my one-year anniversary as a member of TeaChat, so the topic of the poll is very appropriate for me. Must celebrate with Xine's Birthday Blend.
Happy Anniversary!

I've only been here a short bit but I seem to learn something new each time I stop by. Thank you all!

In my cup this morning~ a plum pear black tea

Oct 13th, '08, 10:02

by Shelob » Oct 13th, '08, 10:02

As a newbie, I just loved this poll question. My personal 'tea' journey has led me to this forum. I have expressed more than once in my posts my desire to learn as knowledge=wealth. I know I have come to the end of the trail, so to speak, this is where I want to learn.

I am constantly perusing previous posts to see what I can glean from them, as I truly do know so little. My brewing techniques certainly need enhancement as does my stock of teaware. Also, there are so many teas to learn about it is mind boggling! I haven't even checked out the Pu-Crew yet, but I will. But again, this is why I am here, it is all a learning process.

It encourages me to read the posts today and to see how much everyone has stated they have learned and are still learning, and how they are able to share one with another. It's obvious we all have our own way of doing things, but being open to suggestions and constructive criticism is how we will all grow personally in the area of tea.

I plan to ask more questions, whether they are really basic, stupid or whatever. I guess I am admitting that I am somewhat self-conscious of my lack of knowledge and also intimidated by the wealth of knowledge that prevails on this forum..., but all I know is that I LOVE TEA! And I am here to stay and to learn.

In my cup this am oolong #18, with a dragonwell next in line.

Everyone have a FAB TeaDAy and share with someone your passion for tea. :)
Last edited by Shelob on Oct 13th, '08, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 13th, '08, 10:14

by Smari » Oct 13th, '08, 10:14

Teachat has helped me out greatly. I was on my little journey to discovering fine teas but didn't know enough of it until I met other Teachatters on here. Because I was able to gain a good amount of knowledge from the experts, I was able to share that same information with others around me. Plus, it has allowed me to spend money on better things like tea, rather than spend it on things that aren't even beneficial to me.

So I just want to give a BIG THANK YOU to the Teachatters!!!

By the way, I bought some of Adagio's pu erh teabags to try out and it just isn't my thing. Would anyone like the rest of it? I'll mail the rest out to anyone interested :)

Drinking my final batch of pouchong. Waiting for my new order of Alishan to arrive...