Friday TeaDay 10/24/08 Comfort zone for tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. What percentage of your tea purchases are made in your "comfort zone" of teas you already know you enjoy, vs. taking risk with tea you do not know?

100% in my comfort zone
No votes
90% in/10% out
7%
80% in/20% out
25%
70% in/30% out
16%
60% in/40% out
7%
50/50
25%
40% in/60% out
5%
30% in/70% out
5%
20% in/80% out
4%
10% in/90% out
7%
100% out of my comfort zone
No votes

Total votes: 57

Oct 24th, '08, 07:43

by Vulture » Oct 24th, '08, 07:43

el padre wrote:I picked 30/70, but it could easily be more like 20/80.

I'm an adventurer! 8)
Star Track Voyager log SGX0133

Today we continue our voyage through PU space. We have come across a wide variety of residents and...
Last edited by Vulture on Oct 24th, '08, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 24th, '08, 07:46
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Re: Friday TeaDay 10/24/08 Comfort zone for tea?

by Sydney » Oct 24th, '08, 07:46

Vulture wrote:The only risk we put ourselves to is the actual cost of the tea.
...and what Ed will say. :lol:

Oct 24th, '08, 08:12

by caligatia » Oct 24th, '08, 08:12

I went with 40/60. It's really hard to pick percentages, though. I'm probably wrong. :)

Formosa lapsang in my cup right now. Haven't decided what will be next -- one of the teas from kymidwife, or some golden monkey? I may have to flip a coin...

Oct 24th, '08, 08:54

by chad » Oct 24th, '08, 08:54

I'm always trying new teas so I voted 50/50.

Pai Mu Tan white in the mug this morning.

Last night, I bought a small ceramic pot along with a couple of ounces each of sencha and genmatcha. Continuing to branch out.

Oct 24th, '08, 09:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 24th, '08, 09:09

Years 1-6 I was an out of control adventurer and would have said 20/80. I had to try everything in search of the perfect tea high. I would have 50-75 teas open at once. Back then, samples were harder to come by, so most times it would be 100 gram bags. I felt completely out of focus and too scattered.

The new me, years 6-9, much more focused and a lot of the experimenting is past. I know what I like, and I like my focus. I still reserve a portion of my TeaJourney for adventure, but I would say I am likely 80/20 and am having great TeaDays, day after day. Just enough adventure to keep it interesting.

I started the TeaDay with a lovely session of Yame Gyokuro from O-Cha. While this is not the best gyokuro on the planet, it is a great value and a great way to start the TeaDay. Delilah shared tea time with me, pretended she was not interested, riiight. Sweetie on the other hand was not coy about her interest.

Oct 24th, '08, 09:18

Friday's poll

by treazure » Oct 24th, '08, 09:18

In my cup as of today is Colombian coffee, fresh ground, full city roast. I ran out of all tea yesterday and will be attacking the postal carrier or UPS guy as soon as they get here, praying at least one tea order is in. At least I can go to the store tonight and pick up a box of loose leaf Red Rose to tide me over until my various orders are in.

Before I place an order with Adagio, can anyone give me an idea of the delivery time if the order is going to southwestern Georgia?
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Oct 24th, '08, 09:50

by geeber1 » Oct 24th, '08, 09:50

I voted 70% in / 30% out. I tend to stick to blacks but have ventured into new categories of blacks and some oolongs. Since I'm originally from New England, I think I have that Yankee frugality built in and can't move on to something new until I use up all of the old stuff. So ... I'll be in the Nilgiri zone for a while, having just ordered several 2 oz. pkgs. from TeaSource.

I also get a little bit overwhelmed looking at all those little sample tins, trying to decide which tea I want to have, so try to eliminate the ones I really dislike and focus on the ones that I do like.

Treazure, I don't know how long it would take to get an order in Georgia, but I know they are super fast shipping to Oregon from their California warehouse. I wouldn't expect an Adagio order to take more than a couple of days to anywhere in the US.

After saying I'm in the Nilgiri zone, I'm having some TeaSource Dooars Oodlabari Estate SFTGOP1 INSTEAD of Nilgiri this morning. Good stuff!

Oct 24th, '08, 09:57
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 24th, '08, 09:57

In terms of reality, my purchase is 70/30. But I am willing and so much wish to try more varieties. Since most suppliers would only carry the popular varieties, sometimes I have to google to dig out suppliers of some other varieties.

There are so many kinds of tea out there. Some are still on my wishlist and I don't know where to get them. For example, something I saw recently on internet. It looks so cute! It's called "girl's rings". I hope to try it out some day!

Long Jing in my mug now. Photo from last week:
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 24th, '08, 10:18

by Victoria » Oct 24th, '08, 10:18

Hard for me to say - probably 20% outside is close to the norm. The past two months I've been trying many new black and whites, and some pu-erh, but
still green oolongs reign supreme and I always pick them up too along the way.

Enjoying the last of a lovely Darjeeling sent by Trioxin, Thurbo Tippy Clonal -FF
Completely sold out and just beautiful. Thanks. :)

Busy work day ahead, have a nice day everyone!

Oct 24th, '08, 11:02

by kymidwife » Oct 24th, '08, 11:02

boywoodie wrote:I love to try new teas...but i have to drink my black tea in the morning. :lol:
woodie
OMG! Woodrow finally posted!!!! Welcome out of Lurk-dom. :lol:

Woodie makes some great signature blends, you guys.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 24th, '08, 11:03

by olivierco » Oct 24th, '08, 11:03

Miyabi sencha (end of the package) right now to start the week-end and the autumn vacations as well: school is out for 12 days.

Oct 24th, '08, 11:10

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 24th, '08, 11:10

I'm out of my normal routine this morning and it does not bode well for the rest of the day: late to get up, late to start the crock pot, late to work (this is usually my day off), late to get tea. Now I'm even later for my first cup of the day since I let the kettle get too hot and must wait a few minutes before steeping the last of my White Monkey. <sigh>
Surely it'll be better once I get that tea in me, won't it?
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 24th, '08, 11:15

by kymidwife » Oct 24th, '08, 11:15

A few months ago, my answer would have been about 20/80. As time goes on, I am finding certain teas to be staples, where initially almost everything was an adventure because I was in total exploration mode. I still am constantly trying new teas and new vendors, but I think I am down to about 60/40.

Risheehat Flowery 2nd Flush from Teasource in my cup now... mmmmm.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 24th, '08, 12:17

by auggy » Oct 24th, '08, 12:17

I voted 50/50 but that's not really true. As far as number of different teas I have on hand, I'm probably 30/70 because I like trying new teas, but as far as volume of teas, I'm probably about 75/25 since I like to get samples of teas I don't know and larger quantities of teas I know I like.

Cream & orange tea for me this morning. I like to have my morning tea with milk (mostly because it cools it quicker so I can start drinking it on my way to work sooner and have it done by the time I get to work) and I put too much this morning but it actually turned out really nice. Pleasantly surprised.

Other than my tea, today is kind of a yucky day. No water in our buildings. So no toilets. Not cool.

Oct 24th, '08, 12:19

by Salsero » Oct 24th, '08, 12:19

Drax wrote: Oooh Salsero, where'd they get that bookmark thingy with the picture of Strongbad on it??
It was a gift a Chinese friend brought from Fujian. It is a Chinese Opera mask ... I think from the street opera in Szechuan. I had never heard of Strongbad. Thanks from bringing me up to date. I imagine Strongbad has antecedents in Chinese Opera as I think a lot of the Pokemon have antecedents in Japanese culture.
kymidwife wrote: OMG! Woodrow finally posted!!!! Welcome out of Lurk-dom.
Woodie, good to see you over in this neck of the woods.
gingko wrote: There are so many kinds of tea out there. Some are still on my wishlist and I don't know where to get them. For example, something I saw recently on internet. It looks so cute! It's called "girl's rings". I hope to try it out some day!
I have a little sample of something hand labeled Premium Daughter Central item number 1502799463807 that looks just like this. I can't remember where I got it from and have no idea what it is!