Monday TeaDay 10/27/08 Best tea, wrong pot conundrum.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Treazure asks, "If you had the most incredible tea ever, but you didn't have the proper pot to make it in, would you make it anyway?"

For sure, the kettle is on!
61%
Yes, I believe so
19%
Maybe
8%
I think not
No votes
Definitely not, I might order the right vessel post haste.
12%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 59

Oct 26th, '08, 22:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday TeaDay 10/27/08 Best tea, wrong pot conundrum.

by Chip » Oct 26th, '08, 22:58

Let's start the week off right, let's be sure to drink lots of tea and to share what is in our cups today, all day.

Yesterday, "fruity" was the winner by far in favorite flavor component to tea. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is contributed by Treazure who asked, "If you had the most incredible tea ever, but you didn't have the proper pot to make it in, would you make it anyway?" Please share what to do in this situation.

I am looking forward to another TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Oct 27th, '08, 00:31

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 27th, '08, 00:31

I think that the most incredible tea would only be incredible if it were made with the right kind of tea ware. If the wrong kind of tea ware were used, the tea wouldn't taste incredible.

Imagine if the most incredible tea were matcha, and alll you had was a yixing teapot...I doubt that matcha would cease to be incredible if it were brewed in a yixing teapot

Oct 27th, '08, 00:47

Long Jing

by Salsero » Oct 27th, '08, 00:47

Forget the teapot. I would munch the leaves like the Lotus Eaters that Brave Ulysses found. Speaking of altered states of consciousness, I just watched Into Great Silence, a must see movie for those who have an interest in the meditative life and monasticism … oh, and the patience to sit through 2 hours and 42 minutes of virtually wordless images and sounds! It really bowled me over ... but not for everyone I fear.

Oct 27th, '08, 01:03

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 27th, '08, 01:03

"Maybe" How's that for non-commitment? I'd probably give it a try. After all, I've been enjoying oolongs for a good while now without having an yixing pot. Speaking of which, I bought my first yixing yesterday at a local antique/collectibles consignment store. Since I know nothing of it's history (or even authenticity), I'll season it before actually using it (probably with lightly fired oolongs???).

Off to sleep (what am doing up this late on a Sunday night?!), but looking forward to the first cup in a few hours :) .
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 27th, '08, 02:14

by Victoria » Oct 27th, '08, 02:14

Most definitely! I can be very resourceful when it comes to the most incredible oolong ever!

Congrats on your new pot DotK!!

Oct 27th, '08, 02:49

by Vulture » Oct 27th, '08, 02:49

Did maybe, it really depends on the type of tea. Sometimes you could just jury rig a pot together to use for it. But other times you just need a specific pot for that type of tea.

Oct 27th, '08, 02:49

by bronzebed » Oct 27th, '08, 02:49

absolutely! wouldn't pass up a chance at an amazing tea and i would prepare it as best as possible.

nd: yunnan black

Oct 27th, '08, 03:12

by kymidwife » Oct 27th, '08, 03:12

No doubt about it, I'd make the tea with or without the ideal teaware. That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider ordering a new pot! But, in the past, I've made tea in anything and everything... including shincha in a glass pyrex measuring cup, poured through a kitchen strainer into a large Mickey Mouse coffee cup. It tasted awfully good, even without the proper wares... and if I knew the tea was amazing, I'd never be disciplined enough to let it sit and wait for teaware to arrive.

No more tea tonight, as I'm off to bed... last tea was a "pinch of this and that" including some jade oolong, darjeeling, and a black iced tea signature blend (unflavored)... in honor of the Stash combo Victoria mentioned in another thread... made me wanna try some odds and ends. I declined to add any green or white, so I could keep the brewing parameters more reasonable...but I must say, it was very tasty.

G'nite all,

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 27th, '08, 03:16

by olivierco » Oct 27th, '08, 03:16

Unless it is matcha which I won't brew without any chasen or unless I have only a teapot that would alter the taste of the tea I would definitively make the tea.

Keemun with my breakfast.

Oct 27th, '08, 04:20

by omegapd » Oct 27th, '08, 04:20

Sure would. Like Sarah said, out comes the measuring cup and the strainer...

EW

Oct 27th, '08, 04:44

by Trey Winston » Oct 27th, '08, 04:44

I could never wait for anything good, so I would make it right away, in the most inappropriate of vessels. I do that every day anyway.

Oct 27th, '08, 05:51

by Drax » Oct 27th, '08, 05:51

I said go for it, selfishly assuming that the most incredible tea ever was also not the most expensive tea ever.

I'm trying adagio's Pisces blend this morning. The odor and taste are reminiscent of an orange creamsicle.

Oct 27th, '08, 06:26

by caligatia » Oct 27th, '08, 06:26

Like Sarah said. I'd figure out something.

Golden monkey in my cup right now.

Oct 27th, '08, 07:37
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Oct 27th, '08, 07:37

Based on previous experience, I'd do it, but I'd regret it. heh

Oct 27th, '08, 07:37

by treazure » Oct 27th, '08, 07:37

Adapt or die. Wrong pot, awesome tea, I'll figure something out. I've even managed to make a decent tea in a pyrex flask over a bunsen burner, but don't let the tea police know! Gee, I wonder what the first tea drinkers used if they didn't have the right tea pot?

Golden monkey today - I'd give it two thumbs up but need one to help hold the teacup which isn't an approved TEA cup, but a glass world cup from Nescafe. It's heavy and has enough room to really smell the tea.

Ah- fellow vegetarians, no monkeys were harmed in the production of this lovely tea. :wink:

Jeanne
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.