Monday TeaDay 10/27/08 Best tea, wrong pot conundrum.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Treazure asks, "If you had the most incredible tea ever, but you didn't have the proper pot to make it in, would you make it anyway?"

For sure, the kettle is on!
61%
Yes, I believe so
19%
Maybe
8%
I think not
No votes
Definitely not, I might order the right vessel post haste.
12%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 59

Oct 27th, '08, 20:36

by leiche » Oct 27th, '08, 20:36

I would try it, hands down. I'm too impatient to wait.

I started the day with a blended Assam, but rather uncharacteristically drank a lot of greens throughout the afternoon and evening. I just felt like some gunpowder while studying, and then, well... went to a Japanese restaurant for dinner, where my cup never went dry.

Pretty sure this just means I need to knock some sense into myself with a nice roasty Oolong.

Oct 27th, '08, 20:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 27th, '08, 20:37

Adagio Silver Needles, very nice final tea. Another great TeaDay ... and lots of Soggy Leaf Tea to come.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 27th, '08, 21:43

by hop_goblin » Oct 27th, '08, 21:43

I am so confident in my skills I can make tea in a coffee tin

Oct 27th, '08, 21:54

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 27th, '08, 21:54

Chip wrote:And yep, travelling with tea is always a challenge, but I virtually never leave home without it.
I'm that way, too. Last weekend went on a retreat, but had to take my electric kettle, IngenuiTea, clear glass cup, and 3 filled sample tins. (I've got it bad, don't I.)

Treazure - Naming your cat Oolong makes me feel much more normal. Thank you! Some time back the daily poll question asked if anyone had named their pets after tea. I felt like such a weirdo being about the only one on this whole board (my black and white cocker is named Darjeeling). Tea weirdo, that's me :lol:
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 28th, '08, 00:33

by kymidwife » Oct 28th, '08, 00:33

My tea day was far too devoid of good tea, but it's getting better in a hurry, although the hour is too late to drink this much tea!

I had some darjeeling this morning which was great as always... and then went out with my sister for the day to shop. We had sushi at our favorite japanese restaurant, but the green tea was just sad... very weak, hardly more taste than hot water. Blehhh. I was without tea for the rest of the day, until I got home a little while ago.

And I had this sudden urge for a toasty-roasty oolong... but not wuyi. I wanted something green but toasty. So, being the kitchen guru that I am, I located some oolong I hadn't tried in a while, and I pan-roasted my own. I chose some 6 Summits Oolong from Teavana (actually not bad at all for Teavana). I made a cup first unroasted, in a gaiwan, so I would have something for comparison... and then I did a light to medium roast on the stovetop, careful not to cremate it, and going mostly by aroma to decide when it was "done". I brewed it up in one of my new yixing pots.

I have to say, it's fabulous. I enjoyed the unroasted cup very much... not as complex and flavorful as some of my better oolongs, but appropriately smooth, buttery, floral-green, and aromatic. The toasted version was farrrr more complex, amazing aroma, a bit more astringent, with a sweet fruity finish. I am definitely roasting s'more of my own. Yummm. Just like Lucky Charms... magically delicious!

Hope I can sleep... Happy Tea Day to all.

P.S. Shelob, so good to see you back on the boards!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 28th, '08, 01:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 28th, '08, 01:17

daughteroftheKing wrote: I'm that way, too. Last weekend went on a retreat, but had to take my electric kettle, IngenuiTea, clear glass cup, and 3 filled sample tins. (I've got it bad, don't I.)

Treazure - Naming your cat Oolong makes me feel much more normal. Thank you! Some time back the daily poll question asked if anyone had named their pets after tea. I felt like such a weirdo being about the only one on this whole board (my black and white cocker is named Darjeeling). Tea weirdo, that's me :lol:
A feline named Wulong resides here. 8)

And yes, you got it BAD!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 28th, '08, 01:27

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 28th, '08, 01:27

Thanks, Chip. I guess I AM in good company. :)
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 28th, '08, 02:33

by Rakuras » Oct 28th, '08, 02:33

The pot does not make the tea except in brewing. The tea does not come of the pot but the method of preparation- the pot is but the final stage in that process. Skip a the final phase in each case and you can still come up with a wonderful cup while you might wait for the better pot or just enjoy it as is while you have it at its peak. Details not withstanding and the time I write this being on the pacific side of a pond or two, the tea would be enjoyed to the best of the equipment can manage.

Teas today: blueberry infusion (oversteep test and 2nd brew, both mediocre) and looking to pull another sample from the shelf before some sleep is gained this night. Maybe something white or lighter.

Oct 28th, '08, 09:41

by auggy » Oct 28th, '08, 09:41

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: I mean, if it really is THAT good, I'll have to have some to drink while I'm waiting for the "proper" pot to come in the mail, right?
But what if you only had a small amount of it? Enough for just a few sessions?
Then I'd have to go with the Pyrex - can't have the tea get less than fresh while I wait for shipping! :)