FDA or local health certifications needed for tea business??

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

FDA or local health certifications needed for tea business??

Postby etwan » Feb 20th, '11, 10:36

I'm starting a tea business which will sell online and locally. I've been looking for information on local health certifications and/or FDA regulations for selling tea and have come up empty. Does anyone know if there are any requirements or where I could look to find out?

Thanks.
etwan

Re: FDA or local health certifications needed for tea business??

Postby Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 13:39

You can contact your local and state health officials. It is much different if you are selling/serving tea however. Then you have to have proper rest rooms and often an actual kitchen. But each locale is different.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: FDA or local health certifications needed for tea business??

Postby nmteaco » Jul 19th, '11, 12:49

In New Mexico tea is considered a food item, so we are inspected twice a year by the health department.

We have a "pre packaged" license, which means we are not able to serve tea, but they let us get away with doing tea tastings. We do sell loose tea in canisters, however this still falls under the pre-packaged license according to our inspector.

When you get your business license tell them you will be selling tea, they will then set up an appointment for the health department inspector to come out and take a look, you can then ask that person questions. That person is who you are trying to make happy, because they will be the ones filling out the paperwork. We were lucky enough to get someone who liked tea, so he has been pretty easy on us.

-David Edwards

PS. There are no FDA requirements until your importing large amounts of tea yourself. At that point FDA paperwork must be filed when the tea comes into the country.
nmteaco

Instant Messenger

Permissions