My Plans

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

My Plans

Postby Prismac » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:20

Hey guys! I've just joined, but I'm feeling really inspired by all of your plans for teashops and whatnot. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about what I want to do with my life. Just as of a few days ago, I realized that I would probably be blissful owning a tiny little bakery or something in an obscure English town, and it really wouldn't matter if I made any money or not. It struck me that huge amounts of cash are really just consolation prizes for doing things that aren't really all that fulfilling - in my opinion, at least. Sure, there are "real" jobs that I would love to have - virology and linguistics. Odd, eh? But I think a really blissful existence is in a little shop somewhere. I've always been a bit old-fashioned. But I digress.

I plan on going to college [I'm 16 now, still in high school] and majoring in...something. Virology and linguistics would be awesome, but I'm thinking now maybe business and literature. Anyway. After that I may work for a little while and save up some money, then go off to some little town [the sort with lighthouses] and buy an old Victorian place. Well, it doesn't have to be old and Victorian, but that's the look I want. And none of that silly floral print. I want real, dark mahogany floors and bookshelves and charmingly dusty windows. The bookshelves will be filled with books, mostly antiques, which will all be for sale. My original plan was to open a bakery/bookshop, but I think I would much prefer a teashop with old books. And I'll probably bake cupcakes and scones and nothing else.

Just thinking about it makes me happy. I'm still a little doubtful, but I think that society [ahh societal angst etc] has sort of programmed me to think that if I'm not somehow involved in big business, making loads of money every year, I'm a failure. But it really is just about being happy, isn't it? I can see myself getting by on something like this, and being utterly blissful.

Anyway. Sorry for waxing on like that. What are your opinions on my tea-/book-/cupcake-shop idea? Any and all suggestions on its appearance, location, design, management, and products are invaluable. Thank you so much!
Prismac

Postby skywarrior » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:39

I think that it's great you have such interesting plans at 16! You'll never know if this is really what you're going to do when you get out of college, but I think having a plan is wonderful. Go for it. Just don't be discouraged if you decide to do something else down the road -- you can always pursue the first dream later on.

Good luck!
skywarrior

Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

Postby Space Samurai » Dec 3rd, '07, 03:41

I wish there were more tea/book places. I'd love to run a second hand bookstore slash tea shop. Or maybe I'd just love to spend all of my time in one.
Space Samurai

Postby Prismac » Dec 3rd, '07, 04:16

Space Samurai wrote:I wish there were more tea/book places. I'd love to run a second hand bookstore slash tea shop. Or maybe I'd just love to spend all of my time in one.

Oh, believe me, if I knew where one was I would live there.

Skywarrior - Thank you! That's really encouraging!
Prismac

Postby twistedinside » Dec 3rd, '07, 06:48

It is important to follow your heart. Don't let yourself get sucked into what 'people' expect of you. That way leads a trap to a very unhappy existence. Don't ever be afraid to follow your dreams, and dream BIG!
twistedinside

Postby Wesli » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:36

You're right Prismac, it is all about being happy.

I really think it's a great idea. Let the books draw in people, and if they have time, grab a cup of tea. Let the tea draw in people, and they'll have books to read while they sip. I like the idea of library more as opposed to bookstore, so that people can get involved in a book, and come back for tea again and again as they enjoy reading it.

My 2¥.
Wesli

Postby Prismac » Dec 3rd, '07, 15:03

Fukamushi Dynasty wrote:You're right Prismac, it is all about being happy.

I really think it's a great idea. Let the books draw in people, and if they have time, grab a cup of tea. Let the tea draw in people, and they'll have books to read while they sip. I like the idea of library more as opposed to bookstore, so that people can get involved in a book, and come back for tea again and again as they enjoy reading it.

My 2¥.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Reading an old book in a musty old teashop is my idea of heaven, so I'm sure it's someone else's, too. The only problem that comes to mind is messy drinkers...

And I sort of imagine trading them for other old books more than selling them. It'd be like a little optional side business, I think.
Prismac

Postby Prismac » Jan 7th, '08, 03:17

I've just had an idea put to mind - a steampunk tea house. Does this make anyone else quake at the knees?
Prismac

Instant Messenger

Permissions