Teens and Tea

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Postby greenisgood » Dec 16th, '08, 21:27

hahaha yeah, teens only will drink tea if it gets you f----d up! try kava kava, catnip, maybe some st. johns wort, too bad you can't market peyote.
greenisgood

Postby Cofftea » Dec 17th, '08, 18:05

tea smoothies :D
Cofftea

be a fashion

Postby jazzi » Dec 23rd, '08, 21:50

Even in CHINA, not so many teens drink loose leaf tea, but they drink bottled tea, so here is my topic:

1,loose leaf tea needs your grown up and can admire good tea;

2,teens like tea just because it's fashional and easy to drink, that we'll need big companies to make fashional market.

teens just know for fun, fashion, easy not get time to appriciate life.

jazzi
jazzi

Postby Thé Vert » Jan 18th, '09, 15:20

As a teenager who drinks tea, you can simply show them pictures of someone which coffee stains on their teeth XD;
Thé Vert

Postby Rockingtherepub... » Jan 28th, '09, 01:47

Hi I'm Diana and I just joined TeaChat today. I'm trying to merge my passion for tea into a business. This is the first thread I have read because of the sheer volume of views. I just love how there are 8000+ views and only about 33 comments. It seems although many people in TeaChat are interested about this topic and/or eager to tap into this market but hesitant to share.

Here my two cents. Tea needs a huge grassroots marketing campaign with tons of celebs and people in the media. It's been long associated with stuffy British traditions or to Chinese people and that's it. The word tea itself is BORING. Everyone I tell someone my passion is tea I get raised eyebrows. People my age and well into their 30s are more into wines and hard liquor. Tea needs a sexy revamping. Hire the Bacardi team for Lipton and you have a sure win.

Sex sells.
Rockingtherepub...

Postby Rockingtherepub... » Jan 28th, '09, 01:48

Hi I'm Diana and I just joined TeaChat today. I'm trying to merge my passion for tea into a business. This is the first thread I have read because of the sheer volume of views. I just love how there are 8000+ views and only about 33 comments. It seems although many people in TeaChat are interested about this topic and/or eager to tap into this market but hesitant to share.

Here my two cents. Tea needs a huge grassroots marketing campaign with tons of celebs and people in the media. It's been long associated with stuffy British traditions or to Chinese people and that's it. The word tea itself is BORING. Everyone I tell someone my passion is tea I get raised eyebrows. People my age and well into their 30s are more into wines and hard liquor. Tea needs a sexy revamping. Hire the Bacardi team for Lipton and we will have a sure win.
Rockingtherepub...

Postby Rockingtherepub... » Jan 28th, '09, 01:50

I just joined teachat and they already sent me a warning saying I had a spam word in my reply.... Any advice guys?
Rockingtherepub...

Postby Chip » Jan 28th, '09, 01:55

RockingtheRepublic wrote:I just joined teachat and they already sent me a warning saying I had a spam word in my reply.... Any advice guys?

Hi Diana,

It is because you are a new member. There are words commonly used by spammers, and since 99.99% of spam is from a newbie, we placed these words on a list that newbies cannot use. It will pass if you continue posting. It could even be your name.

Please PM me if you have further questions or problems.

Please introduce yourself under Introduction.

Chip
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby funkmaster nice » Feb 5th, '09, 23:50

It depends on where you live. I'm from the Souf where sweet tea is a staple of southern diet and everyone I know loves it. The young'uns especially love the syrup! Sweet tea is actually sugar with black tea flavoring. People out on the West Coast don't know about some sweet tea. You ask a waitress at Denny's in California for sweet tea and they give you some iced tea with a pack of Splenda! :lol: Sweet tea was my "gateway" to the tea universe. You gotta remember your roots. Since my trip to China I've been getting into all types of herbs, even maté. I'm proud to say I don't use anymore sweetener! I think tea drinking is a journey and my palate is constantly refining.
funkmaster nice

Postby horsencl » Feb 6th, '09, 01:12

There was a tea shop I frequented (now relocated to the west coast) that was pretty popular with teens. It was mostly because they hosted open mic nights and poetry slams. Since they were there anyway, the kids would give the tea a try. You might want to look into seeing if the local high school has some kind of event you could take part in, like a multi-cultural day or health fair.
horsencl

Postby cheapside » Feb 9th, '09, 03:09

Exposing youth to tea can be a challenge! I try to get my kids to drink it for the health benefits, but they only like it with lots of sugar or flavored tisanes.

Wish there was a universal answer for this question!
cheapside

Postby acdidion » Feb 12th, '09, 21:45

I think that is is very difficult to get younger teens into tea. I started drinking tea very young, but I grew up with it. I have one grandmother that brews fresh iced tea constantly and another with whom I have always enjoyed tea. Most young teens are into sugary caffeine loaded drinks. I would suggest looking at a slightly older audience. I have found that tea is very popular with college students. Just a few years ago my friends used to tease me about my travel mugs of tea at school, but now many of them love tea. I know so many college students who drink tea and this might be a better audience than teens.
acdidion

Postby tea-guy » Feb 16th, '09, 21:40

I think the youngest generations of "teens" are ripe for TEAvangelism! Just get them started!

My suggestions here are to engage social media, start clubs for the schools... join with the "fundraiser" crew and offer "premium" teas for fundraisers to help spread the beverage around to more people to experience.

These are things I'm hoping to do when I open my tea house next year!
tea-guy

Postby TheJerseyDevil » Apr 18th, '09, 16:22

When I was in high school, I would go to an open mike night about once a month at a local cafe / tea shop. The place was standing room only, with about half of the people still in high school. I don't know if it would kill the ambiance of your tea shop, but you may want to consider having an acoustic open mike night once a week or every other week.

Now, the teens are obviously less likely to order tea, but if you advertise a cheap special of a very flavorful tea at the counter or invite them to try a sample with any order, they may be more likely to get hooked.

Just an idea ;)
TheJerseyDevil

Postby emeraldrobot » Apr 26th, '09, 10:28

When I was in high school I wasn't so much into tea. I drank it, but wasn't into it...I think my obsession started in college. I'd say forget the teenagers and focus on the freshmen in college that aren't going out drinking every night!

The idea of a chill cafe or something with an eclectic atmosphere and lots of types of tea is a good idea too but one would have to cater it to a younger crowd :)
emeraldrobot

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions