Jul 11th, '09, 14:07
Scrolling: scrolling

Show Off Your Pots and Cups XI

by Chip » Jul 11th, '09, 14:07

Welcome to Chapter 11 of Show Off Your Pots and Cups!

See Chapter 10's conclusion here!

Jul 11th, '09, 14:53

by Maitre_Tea » Jul 11th, '09, 14:53

I think this little Tokoname has officially prompted my return to Teachat, after a long hiatus...I bought it from a local teashop that somehow went unnoticed until I returned from college last December. I actually went in to peruse some Darjeeling for my foray into Indian tea, when it caught my eye...I had always wanted to jump into Japanese tea, and I thought why not?

It's about 300 ml, I think, and I love the creamy whiteness alone with the rustic earthy ring around the lid

And here's a photo of the inside, which is unglazed. Hopefully the metal mesh filter isn't that big for a deal, but I'm wondering what's up with the protrusion? Already there some tiny tea leaf pieces stuck in there....anyone know how to remove them?

Even though I could've bought one with a higher pedigree, I'll buy a nice one when I know why it's nice. Right now I'm just brewing some Shincha from Shizuouka that I bought from the same tea shop. I think I'll wait until I understand more (and have more money) before sampling more expensive Japanese teas...
and I bought Victoria's tokoname, so I'm really excited to have two tokoname in such a short span of time

Jul 11th, '09, 14:57

by Victoria » Jul 11th, '09, 14:57

I have really been drawn to Reds lately!

This is an 1980's Aganoyaki tea bowl with Shifuku cloth called "Iyo-Sudare" especially made by Nishijin-ori in Kyoto.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:06

by Victoria » Jul 11th, '09, 15:06

Very nice Maitre_Tea! Now you will have a glazed and unglazed kyusu.
Perfect for most anything! Very nice, I love the white!

Jul 11th, '09, 15:08

by Maitre_Tea » Jul 11th, '09, 15:08

Speaking of which, what are the general usage rules regarding glazed vs unglazed tokoname?

Jul 11th, '09, 15:13

80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping

by TokyoB » Jul 11th, '09, 15:13

I purchased this from Nada. The description was "80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping".
Notice the number 6 on the inside of the lid. I think this indicates that this was once part of a set. I believe the bottom says "zhong guo yi xing" or China/Chinese Yixing. Any thoughts on the age/origin of the pot from our other local experts? Thanks.

I will post several new teapots that I just got around to photographing. All are in the same setting though - easier.

Last edited by TokyoB on Jul 11th, '09, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:15

by olivierco » Jul 11th, '09, 15:15

I eventually found time to get this cakebowl (20 cm) from the post office.
I thought it was made of wood but it is ceramics. Good surprise.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:23

by Tead Off » Jul 11th, '09, 15:23

Maitre_Tea wrote:I think this little Tokoname has officially prompted my return to Teachat, after a long hiatus...I bought it from a local teashop that somehow went unnoticed until I returned from college last December.
It's a cool looking teapot. How can you tell it's a Tokoname?

Jul 11th, '09, 15:27

Re: 80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping

by Tead Off » Jul 11th, '09, 15:27

TokyoB wrote:I purchased this from Nada. The description was "80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping".
Notice the number 6 on the inside of the lid. I think this indicates that this was once part of a set. I believe the bottom says "zhong guo yi xing" or China/Chinese Yixing. Any thoughts on the age/origin of the pot from our other local experts? Thanks.
Victoria, what does that feel like on your lips?

TokyoB, if it looks like, smells like, tastes like a zhuni, it must be a zhuni, right? No reason to doubt Nada. It doesn't look new. It may have more than zhuni clay in it but the most important question is how do you like the way it brews?

Jul 11th, '09, 15:31

by betta » Jul 11th, '09, 15:31

TokyoB wrote: Notice the number 6 on the inside of the lid. I think this indicates that this was once part of a set. I believe the bottom says "zhong guo yi xing" or China/Chinese Yixing.
Now I know why this little gem disappeared from Nada's site :wink:
I am by no means an expert in yixing pot, but I've read somewhere (I can't recall) that this number does not related to a set of pots. If I am not wrong, it is related to the manufacturing policy in the 60's or maybe 70's? (not sure which one). None of the pots made by government-run yixing factories during that time are allowed to bear the craftmen's signature. So at the bottom is the seal of zhong guo yixing and inside the lid is the number to indicate the specific craftman.
Others know it better than me.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:34

by Tead Off » Jul 11th, '09, 15:34

Betta, that sounds familiar. The OP might want to do a search on teachat for the thread that addresses this.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:40

by TokyoB » Jul 11th, '09, 15:40

Tead Off wrote:
TokyoB wrote:I purchased this from Nada. The description was "80ml 1980's Zhuni Shui Ping".
Victoria, what does that feel like on your lips?

TokyoB, if it looks like, smells like, tastes like a zhuni, it must be a zhuni, right? No reason to doubt Nada. It doesn't look new. It may have more than zhuni clay in it but the most important question is how do you like the way it brews?
Tead Off - I'm not doubting Nada, I'm just curious for other pots I've seen sold in Taiwan and China. You might not be able to try the tea you want in the pot sold there. Is zhuni basically red and relatively hard? showing shrinkage lines?

For this pot I was curious what the seal and number indicate. A year or so ago there was a set of shui ping teapots for sale at Jing. I think there were 6 or 8 or so pots. I thought I recall each of them being stamped with a number.

Jul 11th, '09, 15:53
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 11th, '09, 15:53

Congrats! I love SP. I want SP. I love and want old SP :D

Jul 11th, '09, 16:06

by Maitre_Tea » Jul 11th, '09, 16:06

Tead Off wrote:
Maitre_Tea wrote:I think this little Tokoname has officially prompted my return to Teachat, after a long hiatus...I bought it from a local teashop that somehow went unnoticed until I returned from college last December.
It's a cool looking teapot. How can you tell it's a Tokoname?
I can tell because the salesperson told me so when I asked, and it came in a box that said something to the effect of "made in Tokoname" and there was a sticker on it that had the Japanese hiragana for "Tokoname."

But besides these superficial marks of being a Tokoname, I can't 100% verify that it is.

Jul 11th, '09, 16:09

by TokyoB » Jul 11th, '09, 16:09

TIM wrote:
Congrats! I love SP. I want SP. I love and want old SP :D
TIM - thanks. Old SP are hard to beat! Do any of yours have a number stamped inside the lid?
TokyoB