Nov 7th, '09, 14:53

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by JBaymore » Nov 7th, '09, 14:53

Geekgirl wrote:John, if you know where a person could get their hands on a repair kit, either urushi/gold or silver, or whatever the non-poisonous variety is, I would be indebted. I have a favorite bowl that needs reinforcement for a rather severe cracking I gave it this summer. I'd love to be able to use it again.
This discussion of Urushi came up in another thread..... that I can't find at the moment...... and in that thread I mentioned that to my knowledge you can't get real Urushi resin shipped from Japan into the United States do to an import restriction.

A bit later Intuit email-ed a private email to me for a company in Europe that advertises that they now (says "new" on the site) have real Urushi available in tubes. I then contacted that company via email to enquire about them shipping the Urushi into the USA. They did some reaserch for me and said that they could ship it to the US. BINGO!!!!!!

Thanks Intuit!

So if you want real Urushi, you can now get it in the USA by getting it imported from Europe.

Be aware that Urushi resin is more of a skin allergen than Poison Ivy / Poison Sumac!!!!! Lacquer artists in Japan take years to develop an immunity (some never do). You HAVE TO wear appropriate protective gear. The company says regular rubber gloves are enough, and I have seen lacquer artists in Japan actively using them also.

Also be aware that to cure it properly requires controlled humidity for extended periods. And it is not cheap. Uncured and partiallly resin is still an alergen! I wouldn't want to drink out of a bowl that had partially cured resin in contact with liquid!!!!!!

I'll post the web address here in a minute.

OK.... here's the link for the Urushi:

http://www.dick.biz/dick/product/716241/detail.jsf

One source for gold leaf:

http://www.lagoldleaf.com/index.php?cPath=23

best,

...................john

Nov 13th, '09, 10:44
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 13th, '09, 10:44

I have a suggestion for broken tea ware. It is something I often do. I live in China and there is a ton of broken antique pottery and most of it is worthless, but still so old that it is a pity to throw it away. I glue the pieces back together, drill a hole in the bottom and use them to grow plants. They are far more beautiful than any flowerpot you could buy. It may seem sacrilege, but it is better than just hiding a chawan or pot in a box. It can have a second life and you can still enjoy it, although not as tea ware. The local farmers and antique dealers think I'm crazy for saving what they consider garbage and save the broken pottery for me.

Nov 13th, '09, 11:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 13th, '09, 11:42

I agree IPT, that's a great idea. I just did that with a small open sugar bowl that arrived broken. Glued it and inserted a tiny succulent. It's sweet.

Welcome to the forum!

Nov 14th, '09, 11:22
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 14th, '09, 11:22

Thank you for the welcome. This morning I went to the antique market and a friend gave me two broken 17th century cups and a very large 19th century soup bowl. He always looks into the garbage for me. I've lived here for so many years, but it still surprises me how easy it is to buy a 500 or even 1,000 year old piece of pottery.

Nov 17th, '09, 01:24

by BrBr » Nov 17th, '09, 01:24

Hello all,
I bought my sister a sweet little cat-shaped milk jug for Christmas, and subsequently broke it! Its old but not antique, i found it in a secondhand shop in Switzerland. I'd love to be able to repair it so she could still use it, but am concerned the glue would be poisonous if she put milk in the jug. Do any of you know of a miracle glue that I could use?? The break is only in the lid - it fits like a tea pot lid, but the neck of the lid has broken from the top part.
I wait in hope for your reply!
Bridey

Nov 17th, '09, 11:42

by theteascoop » Nov 17th, '09, 11:42

I've "lost" two glass teapots, and my husband is very hesitant to let me have another one. The first met a cat on the kitchen counter at my parents, and the cat won the fight. The second, I just bumped into a piece of pottery while doing dishes, and knocked a hole in the side.

It makes me sad. I can't bear to use any of my blooming teas in any of my other tea ware because it feels like a waste.

Nov 17th, '09, 21:03
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 17th, '09, 21:03

I can recommend the Bodum Assam teapot. Comes in several different sizes. Appears to be relatively sturdy, for a glass teapot.

I can understand if funds are tight and hubby is the primary breadwinner, but is shouldn't be a matter of whether you are 'allowed' or not to purchase a replacement, or to be 'trusted' not to break it.

You are a life partner and an adult. Not a child. Glass breaks for many reasons. You had no control over the silly cat knocking the teapot off the countertop (where cats do NOT belong for sanitary reasons in the first place).

Sit the man down and explain the facts of tea life: you want to purchase a replacement teapot. It ain't gonna break the bank to do it. The next one will be sturdier. End of story.

Nov 17th, '09, 21:23

by theteascoop » Nov 17th, '09, 21:23

I was just joking about the allowed thing. If I wanted to buy another teapot, he certainly wouldn't prevent me. He's a nice guy, who is very indulgent of my tea addiction despite the fact that it monopolizes an entire section of our kitchen :)

Apr 19th, '10, 16:10

by Geekgirl » Apr 19th, '10, 16:10

Okay, whose brainy idea was it to drink tea in the shower? Hmmm? I know it was someone on here. I must have gotten the idea from one of you people, for I know I wouldn't be so clever as to make that one up on my own. :roll:

No really, please don't save me a seat on the short bus, I'm not ready for it yet. I'm sure there are other things I have to accomplish before I earn my very own trip up those stubby little steps to sit in my 3rd row seat by the window...

One cup of puerh, in the shower, leads to:
Reason #HowManyReasonsDoYouNeed why we don't drink our tea in the shower

Dang. :cry:

Apr 19th, '10, 16:20

by geeber1 » Apr 19th, '10, 16:20

Awww, too bad, GG. :cry: It looks like it was a nice one, too!

Apr 19th, '10, 16:22

by Victoria » Apr 19th, '10, 16:22

Ouch! :(

Apr 19th, '10, 16:46

by Geekgirl » Apr 19th, '10, 16:46

yeah, "ouch." I dropped it on my bare foot! :shock:

Apr 19th, '10, 16:56

by tsusentei » Apr 19th, '10, 16:56

Geekgirl wrote:One cup of puerh, in the shower, leads to: Dang. :cry:
very sorry to hear that. Looks like a cutie. ...and, puer in the shower? Die hard. Nice.

Apr 19th, '10, 17:04
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 19th, '10, 17:04

Time to pay Dr. Tingjunk American a visit :(

Apr 19th, '10, 17:25

by Chip » Apr 19th, '10, 17:25

Geekgirl wrote:yeah, "ouch." I dropped it on my bare foot! :shock:
You must have a hard foot? I have in the past played hacky sac with a falling teacup ... with some measure of success. Although that would be pretty hard in the shower.

Looks like it was a beauty.

+ Post Reply