Apr 19th, '10, 17:46

Re: Teaware Loss (Viewer discretion is advised)

by AdamMY » Apr 19th, '10, 17:46

Really curious as to what it looked like prior to the incident. And was it an artist piece or more mass produced?

Either way sorry for your loss.

Apr 19th, '10, 17:52

by murrius » Apr 19th, '10, 17:52

Broke a kyusu in an attempt to save it in an epitome of irony. The lid had gotten stuck through an inadequate cleaning process. In trying to pry the lid off it started to slip out of my hands. In a wild gamble to stabilize this situation I ended up banging the handle on the counter and broke it.

The kyusu survived through the miracle of epoxy. Thankfully, no pictures were taken; although I must admit that a teapot was harmed.

Apr 19th, '10, 19:06

by tenuki » Apr 19th, '10, 19:06

I'm gonna gloat about _not_ breaking this:

I was walking to pick up my son from school and sipping tea - my mind was on other things and I walked off the sidewalk into a large hole - causing me to fall onto the sidewalk. I put out my hand to break my fall, and the entire force of my fall landed on this cup as it hit the concrete sidewalk in my hand. I'm not light. There was a very distinctive rock on concrete sort of sound, and I let go of the cup as hot water splashed up onto my face and half the tea leaves ( I was drinking grandpa style ) landed in my hair. Picking myself up in shock and checking for injuries (non except for my abject embarrassment over being so clumsy) I made my way over to where the teacup had rolled, assuming the worst. I couldn't even find where it had hit?!?! Yay, my favorite teacup is still alive!!

Apr 19th, '10, 19:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Apr 19th, '10, 19:22

LOL! Tenuki that's quite the story.

The cup was this gorgeous thing by our Tea Artisan D. Michael Coffee (shyrabbit) :(

Apr 19th, '10, 19:25

by Victoria » Apr 19th, '10, 19:25

Geek - ohhh no!! Not that one!!! Ohhh it was a beauty. I didn't even recognize it.

Tenuki - I dunno sounds like it tried to kill you and escape. :lol:
Scary!

I fell last year coming up the stairs in high heels carrying a tray of tea, and not holding onto the banister. I spilled the tea but nothing broke ... 'cept I almost cracked my skull on the door jamb. But hey, nothing broke. :)

Apr 19th, '10, 19:51

by tenuki » Apr 19th, '10, 19:51

Victoria wrote:Tenuki - I dunno sounds like it tried to kill you and escape.
Yikes, didn't think of that. I knew ancient chawans often are said to have spirits and can be evil or good - but I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this teacup now that you mention it....

Apr 19th, '10, 20:11

by Robert Fornell » Apr 19th, '10, 20:11

Tenuki,

The tombo, or dragonflies, which adorn your yunomi are said to bring good luck in Japan......

A benevolent cup perhaps.... :D

Cheers,
R

Apr 19th, '10, 20:16

by Chip » Apr 19th, '10, 20:16

Tenuki may claim that TeaFairies were watching over him and the cup that day ... :mrgreen:

Bummer, Geek, I definitely coveted that purchase, hope I did not create some bad karma. :(

Apr 20th, '10, 01:16

by debunix » Apr 20th, '10, 01:16

As I have just finally broken down and bought some things that I will really regret breaking, along with another $6.99 'yixing' this weekend, I find I cannot look away from the horror.

My kyusus from Tokoname are waiting at the post office, and yunomis from gingko should be on their way shortly. I need to pad my entire house in bubblewrap. One yunomi will go the office, which has carpeting, but also metal-edged furniture that has taken out some fairly sturdy glass pots, and the other will have to be restricted to the dining room, away from the tiles of the kitchen floor. Never ever ever in the shower. That's what plastic cups are for.

Apr 20th, '10, 03:11

by Geekgirl » Apr 20th, '10, 03:11

Yeah, take it from me... no tea in the shower. Seriously though, I DID get the idea from somebody here. Can't remember who... anyways, I was having a nice cuppa, 4th steep of some CNNP mixed or something like that, anyways it was good. And I had JUST poured my next cup, when I realized that if I didn't get in the shower RIGHT NOW, I was going to miss my bus. But I had just poured my tea! what was I going to do??!!!

Obviously the logical answer was to take my tea with me... into the shower. :roll: Yes, yes. I'm a dummy.

Apr 20th, '10, 12:52

by TubbyCow » Apr 20th, '10, 12:52

Geekgirl wrote:Okay, whose brainy idea was it to drink tea in the shower? Hmmm? I know it was someone on here. I must have gotten the idea from one of you people, for I know I wouldn't be so clever as to make that one up on my own.
Oh, no! That was decidedly my idea, so I'll take the blame if you wish. :)

I should add that I always take my Corelle mugs into the shower with me. Not very fancy, but you can't break those things if you try.

My condolences for your loss!

Apr 20th, '10, 12:57

by Geekgirl » Apr 20th, '10, 12:57

Yeah, I quite liked the tea-in-the-shower thing, right up until the moment that cup hit the ground. I'm thinking for future shower tea parties, maybe something in a lovely... plastic?

Heh.

Apr 20th, '10, 15:22

by debunix » Apr 20th, '10, 15:22

I want to get some time on one of those new manufacturing devices that builds up layers of something by inkjet-type technology but using plastic instead of ink. You program the computer running it to make just what you want.

I want to make a pretty, indestructible lexan teapot just like this glass one

Image.

And surely some of our teaware artisans could use this kind of setup to make pretty, personalized lexan teacups for travel *and* shower use?

Apr 20th, '10, 16:14

by Poohblah » Apr 20th, '10, 16:14

I don't know about you guys but I find that lexan thermos/nalgene build up a nasty plastic taste after using them for a long time. I would imagine that a lexan teapot would be even worse. :?

Apr 20th, '10, 16:46

by JBaymore » Apr 20th, '10, 16:46

Last edited by JBaymore on Apr 20th, '10, 16:58, edited 4 times in total.

+ Post Reply