Sep 2nd, '09, 01:31

Re: Yixing Folks: Please identify this pot...

by Tead Off » Sep 2nd, '09, 01:31

tingjunkie wrote:Ok... lesson learned. I got the pot in the mail today, and let's just say it wasn't a diamond in the rough.

The good news is that it passes the sniff test. The ok news is that it is about 140ml- a slightly large, but decent size. The bad news is that the lid is quite loose and leaks like crazy, the pour is an impossibly long 18 seconds, and it sounds like a dead thud when you tap it. Oh, and those "silica dots" I saw in the photo must have been dust, because it's just a smooth green color.

As I said, lesson learned, but it was worth taking the gamble. Now, do I put it back on ebay and hope to get my $ back, or do I do something crazy and dedicate it to my beloved chocolate mint black tea? :lol:
I believe I also warned you off of that pot, but, maybe that's how we learn. You need to develop an eye for this kind of thing or you wind up with a lot of pots you don't use or need. Patience and guidance by someone you trust is very important. You live in NYC. Maybe you can visit Tim and see his collection, or, visit the best teashops in the area and get to see what good pots look and feel like. Don't rush into this. Save your money for that special something in the future.

Sep 2nd, '09, 01:49

Re: Yixing Folks: Please identify this pot...

by tingjunkie » Sep 2nd, '09, 01:49

Tead Off wrote: I believe I also warned you off of that pot, but, maybe that's how we learn. You need to develop an eye for this kind of thing or you wind up with a lot of pots you don't use or need. Patience and guidance by someone you trust is very important.
Yeah, I think learning through mistakes is a good thing, as long as it doesn't get too expensive! I was just overcome with the idea of finding this 14+ year old Yixing on ebay mislabeled as "jasperware" and gambling that it might turn out to be something 80's-ish and well made. As I said, I might be able to get most of the money back by re-listing it with a proper (but honest) description anyway. AND, as I said before, the seller used the proceeds to donate to a charity anyway, so I'll just chalk this up to paying my Yixing dues.

+ Post Reply