Nov 19th, '09, 14:52

Today's MatchaWan :D (new name, but tea's the same)

by Seeker » Nov 19th, '09, 14:52

Hi matcha and chawan -ofiles.
I thought it might be fun to have a place to share our morning's matcha and chawan with some pics.
This one is by Master Ronin Ceramurai, a soft matt black, ash glazed, rabbit's fur chawan.
This was my mornings matcha today.
Cheers!
(Edit - addition): might be fun to share pics and comments on the matcha, its flavor and aroma, its origin, maker, story, name, etc &/or the chawan, its origin, maker, story, etc -- or not. Might also be cool to include (if desired) one's mood this morning and maybe even how the mood evolves with a bit of that green elixir. But maybe no hard and fast rules - maybe this morning, there is a need for simplicity, or a lack of capacity for complexity, or a passion for the opposite... :D
Last edited by Seeker on Nov 20th, '09, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 19th, '09, 15:08

Re: This Morning's Matcha :D

by Seeker » Nov 19th, '09, 15:08

Oops! :oops:
I realize that I didn't capture the matcha very well at all in that pic! :oops:
Here are some pics to remedy my boo boo.
Matcha!
Koudai!
Dreggs, aaahhhhhh...
Double cheers! :D :shock: :D

Nov 19th, '09, 15:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Margules » Nov 19th, '09, 15:19

We've already got a chawan thread, I'm not sure if we need two.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9350

That said, I've seen that one on his etsy page, and kinda wanted to see some more pics of it, so thanks.

Nov 19th, '09, 20:03

by Chip » Nov 19th, '09, 20:03

Shuweet Seeker. I have been eying Ronin Ceramurai's works for some time.

No Matcha today. :(

Nov 20th, '09, 01:14

by Seeker » Nov 20th, '09, 01:14

Hi Margules, and Hi Chip,
Thank you for your responses.
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree Margules - I think we'd be just fine with another chawan thread - and not just a chawan thread mind you, but a chawan AND matcha thread. Also, I am well aware of and participate in the thread you referenced, and it is titled to be specifically for "favorite" chawan.
I had the thought that such a title may limit the chawan we get to see/share, and since I love & adore chawan (and hope I'm not the only one) -- my passion makes me want to see more of the chawan of others, the matcha in those chawan, the matcha coated chasen and possibly chashaku, etc. And it would be sooo, so cool to see the various chawan our esteemed TC friends/compatriots have collected and love.
Perhaps there could even be comments about why this particular chawan on this particular day?
It warms my heart to sit and sip from this day's chawan, this days matcha, and know that others, perhaps even at the very same moment, might be sipping too. And I find that making a little connection and perhaps even sharing some kind acknowledgment with each other is sustaining.
Another thought I had, was that newly acquired/purchased/found chawan might get on the favorite thread for their novelty; but I noticed the thread dropping away, not getting any attention, maybe because this difficult economy might have prevented much chawan acquisition -- and so I wanted to open up a thread that included all chawan, old, ancient, borrowed, given, bought, found, whatever.
So come one, come all - let's share some morning matcha! (and the chawan too!)
:D
And Dear Chip,
Thank you for your kind acknowledgment of the "Rabbit's Fur" chawan.
I'd like to see your Tebineri Kyusu, aka "da bomb" sometime - but I know that'd be another thread (probably already posted, but I missed it).
Cheers everyone!!
To borrow from a far more clever TC'r than I --
Matcha matcha man...

Nov 20th, '09, 02:32

by guitar9876 » Nov 20th, '09, 02:32

Just got the two new matchas from Zencha in the mail! Little to late to try them out right now... I also just got this nifty whisk from Yuuki-Cha http://www.yuuki-cha.com/Organic+Matcha ... ama+Chasen Really excited to try it out and compare it to all those cheap Chinese whisks I've gone through.

Nov 20th, '09, 03:16

by Seeker » Nov 20th, '09, 03:16

Nice looking whisk. I'd love to know how it works out for you.
I think mine is Japanese (not sure, purchased from my local tea shop) and it's still going strong!
Did you get an organic Matcha from Zencha?
If so, I'd really, really like to hear about it.
I just finished a can of horai from Ippodo (wonderful stuff!).
I'm currently working on Yame Matcha Sansui from Zencha - I like it.
But I have to say - the Ippodo I like better.
:)

Nov 20th, '09, 12:58

by Seeker » Nov 20th, '09, 12:58

This morning's matcha is yame matcha sansui from zencha.
And the chawan I'm using is a newly arrived shyrabbit red.
Interesting, yesterday the yame tasted a bit nutty, and yet today, very green and grassy. But then today, I was not so aware of the temp I was using.
Cheers, and my our respective days unfold well.

Nov 20th, '09, 13:09

by Mrs. Chip » Nov 20th, '09, 13:09

Seeker wrote:This morning's matcha is yame matcha sansui from zencha.
And the chawan I'm using is a newly arrived shyrabbit red.
Interesting, yesterday the yame tasted a bit nutty, and yet today, very green and grassy. But then today, I was not so aware of the temp I was using.
Cheers, and my our respective days unfold well.
OOOOOOOOOHHH! That's a beauty Seeker! Love the color!
The Mod and I usually share matcha in the afternoon, guess we should rethink it and try it first thing in the morn.

This week we had the Sansui from Zencha at least once, I recall the very green but veggie flavor and do not remember a nutty nuance. It's cool how different palates and temps yield remarkably different results! Thanks for sharing.

Nov 20th, '09, 14:03

by guitar9876 » Nov 20th, '09, 14:03

Ah yes, I too had the Sansui! Very good, kinda hard to describe the taste. Prepared as an Usucha, seemed my new whisk made all the difference. Though this is my first experience with a matcha of this quality, it seemed a lot fluffier, lighter, frothier, with my new whisk. I also got the Sasumi which I'll be opening later.

Nov 20th, '09, 14:12
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 20th, '09, 14:12

>guess we should rethink it and try it first thing in the morn.

If Chip has problems with malty Assams causing nausea in the morning, you may want to rethink plans for matcha in the morning.

Nov 20th, '09, 20:33

by Seeker » Nov 20th, '09, 20:33

OR...
we could hold this lightly, loosely, friendly and think of it as --
The Daily Matcha :D
As stated somewhere else - I am sort of a chawan/matcha whore (though I admittedly have much to learn!), so I would be delighted to see/hear about matcha and chawan that is enjoyed any time of the day.

And I want to reveal that, at least in part, Cory Lum (aka bonjiri) is my inspiration for this topic. I noticed that sometimes on his artisan thread he will showcase a new chawan with a "this morning's matcha".

So here's to you Cory! Mahalo!!!
Hope you'll share with us some of your morning's/day's matcha. :D

Cheers everyone!

ps - Intuit - I love the new Avatar.

Nov 21st, '09, 17:47

by Chip » Nov 21st, '09, 17:47

Seeker wrote:And Dear Chip,
Thank you for your kind acknowledgment of the "Rabbit's Fur" chawan.
I'd like to see your Tebineri Kyusu, aka "da bomb" sometime - but I know that'd be another thread (probably already posted, but I missed it).
Yeah, posted that in either the showoff topic or the Hagi topic, or the teapot topic, or all three. 8) I will have to look.
guitar9876 wrote:Ah yes, I too had the Sansui! Very good, kinda hard to describe the taste. Prepared as an Usucha, seemed my new whisk made all the difference. Though this is my first experience with a matcha of this quality, it seemed a lot fluffier, lighter, frothier, with my new whisk. I also got the Sasumi which I'll be opening later.
Yeah, I have these two (the one is spelled Kasumi :wink: ) Actually have the Kasumi open. I quite like it. When I sift the matcha into a preheated chawan, a lovely dried fruit aroma with cocoa background fills the air. Wowza! *salivates*

Nov 21st, '09, 18:12

by Seeker » Nov 21st, '09, 18:12

Good Morning and Good Day!
My morning/day matcha is Wako today.
Thought I'd post a "Mt. Fuji" pic.
Cheers!
Chip - you make the Kasumi sound oh soooo good.
I will explore.
:mrgreen:

Nov 21st, '09, 20:10
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Nov 21st, '09, 20:10

>ps - Intuit - I love the new Avatar.

Thanks Seeker. My Cookie Monster avatar was customer created for me by an artist buddy. Using it in honor of the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street.

I am not cookie adverse, however.

+ Post Reply