Sep 1st, '10, 17:02

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by theory » Sep 1st, '10, 17:02

tingjunkie wrote:A little homemade modification inside...
I like the little mod, can you explain your thoughts behind it and the where you found the little copper gizmo? Very clever - i would think that might speed your pour a bit.

Sep 2nd, '10, 13:11

by tingjunkie » Sep 2nd, '10, 13:11

The mod is actually 99.9% fine silver. It works as a filter on the single hole spout. It doesn't speed up the pour as much as it keeps the spout from getting clogged. I made them for all my single holed pots.

Sep 2nd, '10, 16:12

by theory » Sep 2nd, '10, 16:12

tingjunkie wrote:The mod is actually 99.9% fine silver. It works as a filter on the single hole spout. It doesn't speed up the pour as much as it keeps the spout from getting clogged. I made them for all my single holed pots.
That is very nice! The single-holed pot explains the motivation (which I would have noticed if I'd paid more attention to your pot description :oops: ) I can see both ends of the coiled wire - how do you keep it in place? I really like your creative problem solving skills!

Sep 2nd, '10, 18:24

by tingjunkie » Sep 2nd, '10, 18:24

theory wrote: I can see both ends of the coiled wire - how do you keep it in place? I really like your creative problem solving skills!
It's held in place with tension. Think of inserting a v shaped piece of metal into a hole slightly smaller than the top of the v. Thanks for your kind words. :)

Sep 11th, '10, 07:42

by Serg » Sep 11th, '10, 07:42

Hello everybody,
this is my new teapot which I bought at JingTeaShop. It's a variation of the classic shi piao shape.

inside picture

the bottom seal

Clay: Qing Shui NI (as told by the seller). Medium Fired
Size: 140 ml
Age/Year: 90's.
Walls: Medium Thick
Pour: +/- 10 sec. 14 holes flat filter. Good pour. Good lid fit with only a little dripping.
Source: Jing Tea Shop
Tea Pairing: Haven't decided yet.
Info: I bought this teapot because I liked the shape and decorations. Also I looked for a pot for shu pu-erh so I needed a multiple-hole filter. The size is good for two persons. I tried this shi piao with shu and it works just ok, flavor is rich and aroma is mellow. The teapot holds heat very well. Also it works good with sheng. But the most interesting moment is that I tried it with good sencha at 80*С and it turned out very impressive. Smooth and rich flavor and pronounced aroma. It seems the pot doesn't take too much fragrance from tea although the clay looks porous. Probably it works good with sencha because of flat and wide body and medium wall thickness. So I'm still thinking about tea pairing.
I'm not good at clay identification but it seems the clay is Pin Zi Ni (a lot of different particles are visible in the clay). Or am I wrong and the clay is Qing Shui Ni (as advertised)?
Also, would anybody be so kind to translate the poetry? I'm really curious what's written on my teapot.
And here are additional details of decoration for your interest:

Sep 15th, '10, 09:29
Vendor Member

by IPT » Sep 15th, '10, 09:29

Here are a couple of zisha seals that a friend of mine just made. They haven't been fired yet and are incredibly soft. Once I have them carved, I will send them back to him and he will fire them for me. You can kind of see, in my photos, why Zisha (Purple Sand) got it's name. It does have a purpleish color to it. These will look really cool when they are fired. I can't wait to get them done.
Attachments
DSCF6788.jpg
DSCF6788.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSCF6789.jpg
DSCF6789.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSCF6791.jpg
DSCF6791.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

Sep 16th, '10, 21:09

by TokyoB » Sep 16th, '10, 21:09

Serg wrote:Hello everybody,
this is my new teapot which I bought at JingTeaShop. It's a variation of the classic shi piao shape.

inside picture

the bottom seal

Clay: Qing Shui NI (as told by the seller). Medium Fired
Size: 140 ml
Age/Year: 90's.
Walls: Medium Thick
Pour: +/- 10 sec. 14 holes flat filter. Good pour. Good lid fit with only a little dripping.
Source: Jing Tea Shop
Tea Pairing: Haven't decided yet.
Info: I bought this teapot because I liked the shape and decorations. Also I looked for a pot for shu pu-erh so I needed a multiple-hole filter. The size is good for two persons. I tried this shi piao with shu and it works just ok, flavor is rich and aroma is mellow. The teapot holds heat very well. Also it works good with sheng. But the most interesting moment is that I tried it with good sencha at 80*С and it turned out very impressive. Smooth and rich flavor and pronounced aroma. It seems the pot doesn't take too much fragrance from tea although the clay looks porous. Probably it works good with sencha because of flat and wide body and medium wall thickness. So I'm still thinking about tea pairing.
I'm not good at clay identification but it seems the clay is Pin Zi Ni (a lot of different particles are visible in the clay). Or am I wrong and the clay is Qing Shui Ni (as advertised)?
Also, would anybody be so kind to translate the poetry? I'm really curious what's written on my teapot.
And here are additional details of decoration for your interest:

Very nice. Interesting how the spout is turned upwards. Seems like a slightly unusual design - well done.

Sep 17th, '10, 21:58

by hop_goblin » Sep 17th, '10, 21:58

My lastest acquisition

Clay: ZhuNi High Fire
Style: ShuiPin'
Spout: Single Hole
Size: 80 ml
Age/Year: Early WenGe "Cultural Revolution - Early 60's.
Walls: Medium
Chop Mark: JingXi Hui Meng Chen
Pour: +/- 6 sec.
Source: Essence of Tea
Tea Pairing: Light Fired Oolongs
Last edited by hop_goblin on Sep 18th, '10, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 17th, '10, 22:48

by TokyoB » Sep 17th, '10, 22:48

Hop - you have awfully good (and expensive!) taste. :D

Sep 18th, '10, 00:56

by tingjunkie » Sep 18th, '10, 00:56

hop_goblin wrote: Clay: ZhuNi High Fire
Style: ShuiPin
Chop Mark: Hui Meng Chen
Really gorgeous pot there Hop! If I am remembering correctly, you sold most of your other pots and only use vintage zhuni now? Please elaborate on why you like lao zhuni so much. I need the motivation to start saving my pennies!

Sep 18th, '10, 05:57

by David R. » Sep 18th, '10, 05:57

Superb pot. Congrats !

Sep 18th, '10, 10:47

by hop_goblin » Sep 18th, '10, 10:47

tingjunkie wrote:
hop_goblin wrote: Clay: ZhuNi High Fire
Style: ShuiPin
Chop Mark: Hui Meng Chen
Really gorgeous pot there Hop! If I am remembering correctly, you sold most of your other pots and only use vintage zhuni now? Please elaborate on why you like lao zhuni so much. I need the motivation to start saving my pennies!
Thanks for the kuddos all! Yes, you are correct, I do enjoy ZhuNi. Other than EVERY collection should have a ZhuNi, it really is just a preference. I find that ZhuNi has more charm and feels very good in the hand. As a result, I enjoy using them. There really is no other reason to speak of for me. I know some prefer ZhuNi as it does not absorb "aroma" as much other clays, so it provides a true representation of the tea without much contamination. GET SOME! :D

Sep 18th, '10, 22:10

by TokyoB » Sep 18th, '10, 22:10

Here is a teapot that I purchased at Cozy Teashop in Macao. I'm not sure what their Chinese name is but here is their site (English and Chinese):
http://www.teamacau.net/

I was there in person a few weeks ago. I dropped by from Hong Kong. It is about a 75 minute high speed boat ride away.

The guys there were very friendly and not the least bit pushy. One person there, German Cheung, speaks English well. I learned of this teashop from TC member Swozt. Unfortunately the photos of the teapot he purchased no longer display.

I have only used this teapot a few times. The interesting thing about this teapot is that it retains the fragrance of the tea brewed in it like no other pot I have seen. I first tried it with David's Private Reserve Black which seems to be a lower grade JinJunMei. Although I always clean pots with boiling water when done this pot retained the fragrance of that tea the next day. I put boiling water through it several times. I couldn't smell anything when the pot was wet but when it dried I could smell it again. So I boiled it in water for 30 mins - no impact. Next I brewed a medium roast Taiwan oolong in it and left it all day. So now it smells like that tea!

Anyway, pot stats:
Clay: Qin Zi Ni (stated by seller afterwards)
Style: modern??
Spout: 7 hole
Size: 105 ml
Age/Year: Recent
Chop Mark: can't read it
Source: Cozy Teahouse
Tea Pairing: Not sure yet, all suggestions welcome

Sep 18th, '10, 22:22

by tingjunkie » Sep 18th, '10, 22:22

I like the design of that pot TokyoB! Modern and classic all in one.

Is the clay medium or high fired? Looks like a good aged sheng pot to me. Perhaps that, or high fire oolongs like TGY or Wuyi. If it holds on to smells as well as you say, I'd avoid cooked puerh, as even the good stuff can leave fishy aromas behind.

Oct 6th, '10, 07:34

by alan836 » Oct 6th, '10, 07:34

my 1st humble zisha pot from Guangzhou china while on a business trip.
all negative and positive comment are most welcome.

Clay: purple clay
Style: 宫灯
Spout: 7 hole
Size: 200 ml
Age/Year: not sure
Walls: Medium to tick
Chop Mark: 何娅萍 (He Ya ping)
Source: Guangzhou China
Tea Pairing: pu-erh
Attachments
531.JPG
531.JPG (18.1 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
529.JPG
529.JPG (18.47 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
528.JPG
528.JPG (19.5 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Last edited by alan836 on Oct 15th, '10, 13:26, edited 3 times in total.

+ Post Reply