Sep 12th, '15, 00:13

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by chrl42 » Sep 12th, '15, 00:13

yanom wrote:Thanks chrl42! Does this mean that it's Factory #1? Also, do you have the same pot? Or just one with the same seal on the base?

Also what's with seals inside the lid, are they the seal of the person who actually makes the pot?

Thanks for the warning tingjunkie but I don't think there's anything actually wrong with my tea. Hope not anyway... It's just that the regular aged puer I've got doesn't taste as nice as the good stuff, some of it's a bit flat, some of it has a bit of that cockroachy flavour, and some of it, well, I can't be bothered to pay too much attention to trying to brew it perfectly. Doesn't taste unpleasant.
IMO, it should be Factory-1. Not as rare as 5~70 pots, but I think 97 Shuiping is collectible as well as 90 one (Geng Wu)...

Regarding the lid seal, I think it should be just one letter of the potter's name...probably the last name (梅)..not too sure

Sep 12th, '15, 04:55

by kuánglóng » Sep 12th, '15, 04:55

AT333 wrote:The sequence of words will give different meaning. Kyarazen arrangement give nicer meaning. Kowtow! :mrgreen:
This leaves me wondering how long one had to study Mandarin and Hanzi to come to a point where you could easily read and make sense of e.g. such a sequence of handwritten characters.

Sep 12th, '15, 05:35

by chrl42 » Sep 12th, '15, 05:35

kuánglóng wrote:
AT333 wrote:The sequence of words will give different meaning. Kyarazen arrangement give nicer meaning. Kowtow! :mrgreen:
This leaves me wondering how long one had to study Mandarin and Hanzi to come to a point where you could easily read and make sense of e.g. such a sequence of handwritten characters.
Those words on Zhuni pots are mostly taken from old poems..the style is derived from the beginning of Yixing pottery..I heard many Yixing potters back then were illiterate..so the carvers and potters were seperated and many times carvers got paid better!

Gu Jing-zhou never wanted his future child to make pots..because the potter was ranked the lowest in the city of Yixing..and Shao Da-heng was so special because he never made pots for customers who looked down on potters..

And now? everyone in Yixing makes pots...because it is money! :D

Sep 12th, '15, 10:30

by kuánglóng » Sep 12th, '15, 10:30

chrl42 wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
Those words on Zhuni pots are mostly taken from old poems..the style is derived from the beginning of Yixing pottery..I heard many Yixing potters back then were illiterate..so the carvers and potters were seperated and many times carvers got paid better!
I've heard of this before but not that the carvers got more pay or ...
Gu Jing-zhou never wanted his future child to make pots..because the potter was ranked the lowest in the city of Yixing..and Shao Da-heng was so special because he never made pots for customers who looked down on potters.
... that the potters were looked down upon, but in the meantime some of those folks seem to earn some serious money for their pieces.
Anyway, I have all the pots I need for my Oolongs and occasional Pu Erhs and who knows, maybe one day I'll find a miracle zhuni pot that magically reveals hitherto concealed aspects of my beloved Himalayan leaves - so far no luck.

Sep 12th, '15, 13:45

by kyarazen » Sep 12th, '15, 13:45

kuánglóng wrote: This leaves me wondering how long one had to study Mandarin and Hanzi to come to a point where you could easily read and make sense of e.g. such a sequence of handwritten characters.
hmm... not very long i suppose if you confine it to yixing pots :P

i had a list of the various verses used in qing yixing pots stashed some where, from 2 char Meng Chen, to 8 or 9 characters. i dont remember the exact number but it was just several tens

Sep 12th, '15, 15:22

by kuánglóng » Sep 12th, '15, 15:22

kyarazen wrote:
kuánglóng wrote: This leaves me wondering how long one had to study Mandarin and Hanzi to come to a point where you could easily read and make sense of e.g. such a sequence of handwritten characters.
hmm... not very long i suppose if you confine it to yixing pots :P

Actually I was more referring to the whole package. Just when I thought that learning to understand-speak-read-write Mandarin should be somehow doable a couple of handwritten characters bring up yet another fun aspect to consider.
i had a list of the various verses used in qing yixing pots stashed some where, from 2 char Meng Chen, to 8 or 9 characters. i dont remember the exact number but it was just several tens
Slightly OT but once I'm through with moving my stuff all over the place I might pick up some clay and give it a try. I've done it before and there's a chance that the results will leave more people scratching their heads than a handful of chinese characters :mrgreen:

Sep 13th, '15, 21:35
Vendor Member

by Stephane » Sep 13th, '15, 21:35

chrl42 wrote:[I heard many Yixing potters back then were illiterate..so the carvers and potters were seperated and many times carvers got paid better!

Gu Jing-zhou never wanted his future child to make pots..because the potter was ranked the lowest in the city of Yixing..
Teapot making and calligraphy carving are different skills rarely mastered by the same person. In Qing dynasty, such teapots were made for very rich who had a good appreciation of what is nice calligraphy and what's not. It had to be top notch. And having several famous artists collaborating on a single teapot made it even more unique.

It's interesting that you would mention Gu Jing-zhou here, because he would insist to do his calligraphy carvings by himself on his teapots. That's also a reason why he became so famous. He was an accomplished artist and mastered more than just teapot making.

Sep 13th, '15, 21:41

by kyarazen » Sep 13th, '15, 21:41

Stephane wrote: Teapot making and calligraphy carving are different skills rarely mastered by the same person. In Qing dynasty, such teapots were made for very rich who had a good appreciation of what is nice calligraphy and what's not. It had to be top notch. And having several famous artists collaborating on a single teapot made it even more unique.

It's interesting that you would mention Gu Jing-zhou here, because he would insist to do his calligraphy carvings by himself on his teapots. That's also a reason why he became so famous. He was an accomplished artist and mastered more than just teapot making.
in early qing the base seal which looks carved was actually seal stamped.. :shock:

indeed Gu would do some of the carvings himself, but the calligraphy on his pots are very often written by a friend or collaborator. most notably are the 5 shipiaos that he had made in '48, the calligraphy was by a friend. these five shipiaos still hold strong record in yixing auction prices.

Sep 14th, '15, 02:12
Vendor Member

by Stephane » Sep 14th, '15, 02:12

kyarazen wrote:
in early qing the base seal which looks carved was actually seal stamped.. :shock:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not talking about the seal, but about the calligraphy and carvings on the body of teapots. It's for this style of teapots that several artists would collaborate. Like on this Yixing Duanni Tiliang Hu based on the Shipiao shape for instance:
Tiliang4.jpg
Yixing Duanni Tiliang Hu with carvings
Tiliang4.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2853 times

Sep 14th, '15, 04:04

by chrl42 » Sep 14th, '15, 04:04

Stephane wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not talking about the seal, but about the calligraphy and carvings on the body of teapots. It's for this style of teapots that several artists would collaborate. Like on this Yixing Duanni Tiliang Hu based on the Shipiao shape for instance:
Tiliang4.jpg
Nice ROC pot!

Tie Hua Xuan? :)

Sep 14th, '15, 05:42
Vendor Member

by Stephane » Sep 14th, '15, 05:42

chrl42 wrote: Nice ROC pot!

Thanks a lot. This ROC teapot is from Wu De Sheng.
There are more pix on my blog on August 2, 2012.

Sep 14th, '15, 05:55

by chrl42 » Sep 14th, '15, 05:55

Stephane wrote:
chrl42 wrote: Nice ROC pot!

Thanks a lot. This ROC teapot is from Wu De Sheng.
There are more pix on my blog on August 2, 2012.
Amazing teapot.

Looks like quite small..(could have stayed in Japan once?)

More and more I like Duanni/Lvni teapots..thanks for a beatiful one. :)

Sep 14th, '15, 07:15
Vendor Member

by Stephane » Sep 14th, '15, 07:15

chrl42 wrote: Amazing teapot.

Looks like quite small..(could have stayed in Japan once?)

More and more I like Duanni/Lvni teapots..thanks for a beatiful one. :)
Thanks again. I'm very glad you like it, especially considering your vast Yixing knowledge.
It looks smaller than it actually is on that last picture on my blog. Its volume is about 150 ml or a little bit more and it's about 10.5 cm tall (with the handle).
It could have stayed in Japan, since it was a major market for this company. However, I got it in Taiwan from an older collector.

Sep 15th, '15, 01:10

by bagua7 » Sep 15th, '15, 01:10

Hi Stephane, good to see you here. :) I enjoy reading your blog entries about those fantastic Taiwan oolongs you enjoy so much. I can taste your exquisite brews from my computer screen.

Amitiés!

Sep 25th, '15, 01:06

by LouPepe » Sep 25th, '15, 01:06

Received this cutie along with a qing hui ni pot last week.

Modern zhuni, 90 ml. I love the shape! Didn't take a second breath before breaking out the debit :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 2680 times

+ Post Reply