May 6th, '10, 23:21
Vendor Member

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by TIM » May 6th, '10, 23:21

VerdantTea wrote:
AdamMY wrote: I feel that technology may be allowing artisans to get more consistent results, with more easily controllable temperatures, and a more scientific understanding of ceramic properties and their behavior.

But that being said I feel that that makes the great pots of that time all the more special, not to mention the fact that its widely acknowledged that they have used some of the best clays, which are just about all but gone by now.
If I was unclear, I apologize. You explain exactly what I meant. It is of course time and careful growth that makes an Yixing made with great clay great. However, in 50 or 100 years, the teapots made today that are carefully taken care of will, due to advances in craftsmanship and design, grow into more spectacular examples of all that an Yixing clay teapot can be.

Unlike other traditional crafts that a generally on the decline (lost in the shadow of their irretrievable predecessors), Yixing pottery is continuing to grow, change, push the craft further and further past the limits and on into new frontiers of possibility.
....So to speak, its better to acquire new, young yixing teapots now then ever? If thats what you pushing.

If you like the 'frontiers of possibility' aspect of teapots. I would highly suggest Taiwanese 'Yixing' style teapot. Like Taiwanese tea, their potters are much more on the "push, change, growing the craft further past the limits" sort of thing. Perhaps same as the Japanese Tokoname ware.

May 7th, '10, 03:01

by brad4419 » May 7th, '10, 03:01

VerdantTea wrote:
AdamMY wrote: I feel that technology may be allowing artisans to get more consistent results, with more easily controllable temperatures, and a more scientific understanding of ceramic properties and their behavior.

But that being said I feel that that makes the great pots of that time all the more special, not to mention the fact that its widely acknowledged that they have used some of the best clays, which are just about all but gone by now.
If I was unclear, I apologize. You explain exactly what I meant. It is of course time and careful growth that makes an Yixing made with great clay great. However, in 50 or 100 years, the teapots made today that are carefully taken care of will, due to advances in craftsmanship and design, grow into more spectacular examples of all that an Yixing clay teapot can be.

Unlike other traditional crafts that a generally on the decline (lost in the shadow of their irretrievable predecessors), Yixing pottery is continuing to grow, change, push the craft further and further past the limits and on into new frontiers of possibility.
Overall compareing old and new yixing I would prefer an older one based on the quality of the clay alone but I do agree with you that I like the craftmanship of quality new yixing very much. For example I have 2 yixing, my favorite is an older zhuni about 80's or older and the other one is a nice new pot supposedly yellow di cao qong but for the price I have my doubts. But the main thing I love about the new pot is the inside has about nine holes to keep leaves from cloging/slowing the pour where the older pot has a single hole which occasionally gets a leaf caught and slows the pour way down.
Something to think about as far as lid fit though is that a pot thats got some age to it and has seen some use will probably not have a perfect lid fit because of its age. The pot could have had a very nice lid fit long ago but has worn down over time.

May 7th, '10, 12:28

by David Duckler » May 7th, '10, 12:28

TIM wrote: ....So to speak, its better to acquire new, young yixing teapots now then ever? If thats what you pushing.

If you like the 'frontiers of possibility' aspect of teapots. I would highly suggest Taiwanese 'Yixing' style teapot. Like Taiwanese tea, their potters are much more on the "push, change, growing the craft further past the limits" sort of thing. Perhaps same as the Japanese Tokoname ware.
Yes. If our grandchildren are tea drinkers, and if they inherit the teapots that were created now and that we raise well, then they're going to have some really amazing teapots.

As for teapots of Taiwan and Japanese Tokoname ware, I would love to start learning and collecting in that field. For every teapot I found that I loved in mainland China, there were always four hundred that just did not appeal to me in any possible way.

Do you have any interesting examples or recommendations?

May 8th, '10, 00:21

by chrl42 » May 8th, '10, 00:21

I believe one of haydays of Yixing teapot is 20 century. With great names such as Wang Yin Chun, Gu Jing Zhou, Jiang Rong, Pei Shi Min, Zhu Ke Xin, Lu Yao Chen, He Dao Hong, Xu Han Tang etc...they opened the new stage of Yixing teapot, absorbed the old and innovated the new, made it simpler and practical for tea brewing, yet more delicate and raised its artistic value to top, their skills were best (during early-days these geniuses imitated previous masters' work to perfection that stunned people with mouth open), the understanding of clay exceeded the old..

Do modern potters as well can be good as them? I feel negative. There are less chance for young potters to work hard and study. The old ones knew how it was like to work like dog for a few dollar in devotion to new era of China and respect of old. The new ones know about money before it and let 'sub-potters' make their pot with a 'master-potters' stamp at last.
Agreed statement is Cultural Revolunized China did harm to Chinese art but Yixing teapot was opposite. The most famous Yixing potters today are one who saw the CR at their prime. What did they do during the CR? they made pots at factories, they were born to potters' family, started making in teen, during 2~30's they would imitate older masters' work 24/7, and when they were skilled enough to earn living, they sat down at factories and made pots and taught. After the CR, they were finally seen by foreign countries and China and made Yixing teapot's stature as big as nowadays..

There are leading young masters such as Lu Zhun Jie, Zhu Dan, Wu Jie Ming, Ge Jun, Zhang Zheng Zhong, Wu Ming etc.. Lu Zhun Jie by no way comes close to his father, Lu Yao Chen, all he does is imitation of his father's work. Zhu Dan went sell-out and kinda left-out among collectors. Wu Jie Ming comes close to next Gu Jing Zhou but lacks 'class'. Ge Jun doesn't really make pot. Zhang Zheng Zhong, Wu Ming pots are too abstract that ignore hundred years of Yixing history and not practical.

Talking about mere hand-skills, they are young ones who inherit, problem is they don't study. Even they do that comes with some design, it's not enough or everyone is too private and money is thing, they are less organized and supported as before.

This is why the vibe of era is important. No greater philosophers are coming out since Spring-Autumn, no greater poets are coming since Tang-Song. But when Confucius was alive there was Laozi, Sunzi, Mozi, Jiangzi, Li Bai was friend of Du Fu, when there was Charlie Parker, there were Gillespie, Bud Powell, Thelonius Monk and Miles Davis :mrgreen: and they would inspire each other and be friends, I guess Yixing is no different.

May 9th, '10, 07:18

by Tead Off » May 9th, '10, 07:18

chrl42 wrote: This is why the vibe of era is important. No greater philosophers are coming out since Spring-Autumn, no greater poets are coming since Tang-Song. But when Confucius was alive there was Laozi, Sunzi, Mozi, Jiangzi, Li Bai was friend of Du Fu, when there was Charlie Parker, there were Gillespie, Bud Powell, Thelonius Monk and Miles Davis :mrgreen: and they would inspire each other and be friends, I guess Yixing is no different.
Agree with you but maybe you are forgetting the great Ch'an Masters beginning with the arrival of Bodhidharma in China during the T'ang period. The Patriarchs form perhaps the greatest body of Zen teaching including my personal favorite, Huang Po.

May 23rd, '10, 07:35
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 23rd, '10, 07:35

Here's a new member of the family. It's a high fired Zini Clay. I love the shape because it is very similar to the style of the Qing Dynasty with the tall thin spout shape and thing handle. It pours beautifully and quick.

I kept trying to show the carving better. It is gorgeous. There are so many different carving styles utilized. I couldn't get any better than these. Sorry.
Attachments
DSCF5791.jpg
DSCF5791.jpg (21.36 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
DSCF5792.jpg
DSCF5792.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
DSCF5793.jpg
DSCF5793.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

May 23rd, '10, 11:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 23rd, '10, 11:36

Beautiful carving, very nice!

May 23rd, '10, 12:23
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 23rd, '10, 12:23

Thank you. I like the fact that the carving goes all the way around, even through the handle.

Jun 2nd, '10, 23:13
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 2nd, '10, 23:13

This is a Zhuni Teapot of mine from 2008. It rings like a bell and is shiny from lots of rubbing. It also pours very fast. I use it for Gaoshan Tea. Normally i wouldn't choose this shape for Gaoshan, but Gaoshan just seems to sing in this one.
Attachments
Teachat.jpg
Teachat.jpg (21.87 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Teachat2.jpg
Teachat2.jpg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Teachat3.jpg
Teachat3.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

Jun 4th, '10, 19:14

by Seeker » Jun 4th, '10, 19:14

Gorgeous carved pot IPT!

Jun 4th, '10, 23:21
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 4th, '10, 23:21

Thank you Seeker

Jun 4th, '10, 23:54

by tingjunkie » Jun 4th, '10, 23:54

Nice pot IPT, though you mustn't forget to wipe your bottom. :lol: :wink:

Jun 5th, '10, 01:34
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 5th, '10, 01:34

:P

Jun 11th, '10, 02:11

by yee » Jun 11th, '10, 02:11

IPT wrote:This is a Zhuni Teapot of mine from 2008. It rings like a bell and is shiny from lots of rubbing. It also pours very fast. I use it for Gaoshan Tea. Normally i wouldn't choose this shape for Gaoshan, but Gaoshan just seems to sing in this one.
Looks so familiar.

Is this similar to yours?

Jun 11th, '10, 12:23
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 11th, '10, 12:23

Image Master Craftsman tree branch/bark Old Duan Ni Yixing. 300 ml. from the early 80's.

+ Post Reply